1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tax Deduction ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tjwatc, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjwatc

tjwatc TS Member

I noticed on the bottom of my 2009 registration card that ATA memberships dues are tax deductible ....

I was wondering how they were tax deductible and where I can take them on my taxes.

My normal routine is to do my taxes on President's Day, which of course is tomorrow.

Thanks for any help

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Dues to unions and professional and business organizations are deductible as "Miscellaneous Deductions", but since the ATA is not a union and the "A" in "Amateur..." rules out "professional organization" that leaves you to prove the "business" connection.

Of course, none of it matters if the other "Miscellaneous Deductions" you claim don't total to at least 2% of your adjusted gross income, in which case you can claim the amount that exceeds the 2%.

Carol Lister

3. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Don't forget to take the new $500 Single/$1,000 Dep. deduction on line 39-C (Form 1040) long form if you don't or are unable to itemize deductions on Schedule A. This new deduction (2008) is for taxes paid such as property tax and so on. Read instructions on page 34 of booklet. Hope this helps out. Darrell

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

The ATA is a charitable organization, that is what they are referring to.

5. howie

howie Member

The ATA is now set up as a 501(c)(3) charity. As such, all contributions and dues are thought of as a contribution, are deduct able as charitable contribution on Schedule A -- Itemized Deductions -- of the 1040.

Yes the standard deduction can be increased by up to $500 for "single" taxpayers and $1000 if you're filing "Married filing jointly," but only if you paid that much in real estate taxes. It is not a straight $500 or $1000 increase in the standard deduction -- the standard deduction is only increased by the amount of real estate taxes paid by to the $500 or $1000 limits

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Just don't pay taxes at all you can be on the cabient

7. below 0

below 0 TS Member

If you don't pay any taxes, does that make you a Democrat? Dale

8. waterhouselake

waterhouselake TS Member

Geithner and Daschle proved that taxes are voluntary. Do you really want to volunteer your money?

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

My trap club is a 501 (C)(3), and the IRS notified us that NO DONATIONS are tax deductable.

Our by-laws even state that upon dissolution the assets will be donated to either a state fish & game authority, Boy Scouts, etc.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.