1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Taurus revolver Question 45 colt&410 ammo

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cubancigar2000, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

was hot but is fading fast.

2. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

i assume you are talking about the "JUDGE". I got one with the mid length barrel. It has never failed to fire or function. If you are hoping for even a mildly tight pattern this isn't the way to go, it is rifled and realy spreads the patern. For the 45colt it is quite accurate and nice to shoot with the rubbery grip. I have taken it prarie dog hunting as "anti snake" insurance and never had to use it. Overall nice gun but I have yet to find a really good use for it other than snakes.

3. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I got one, 3 inch barrel, as my primary snake gun. I like it. Not to bad in the car for defense either.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have sold every one I can get my hands on and have had them on back order for several months. Last one I got was a brushed steel 3 1/2 barrel and sold it for $419.99. Hope to get some in soon. Comes in several configurations but the long barrel version is way barrel heavy. I liked mine(3 1/2Bar) immensely but let a friend talk me out of it as I didn't forsee the availability problem. I still have my comanche(single shot 410/45LC) and snake charmer. I was advised that they were coming out with a 3 inch model but have yet to see any literature or proof. I also tried the Bond arms but like the 4410 better. Jackie B.

5. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

The 4"(3.5") model is no longer on taurus's web site though many are still out there. I belive the prices vary alot but blued is around $400-450 and silver/stainless can be up in the $500 range. It would be good for defence but not my first choice.

6. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Have a Thunder 5, 45LC/410, that might sell. Like new, fired
    less than 25 times. E-Mail direct if interested.

Doyal

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Friend of mine has one. We shot it at seven yards with 2 1/2" .410's and #6 shot, five shots. Ate the center out of the pattern sheet, probably 12-15 inch pattern. .45 Colts shot fairly well, again at "combat" distance of 7 and 11 yards but strayed all over a 25 yard target. I wanted one but already had a Charter Bulldog in .44 spec. so loaded it with Speer shot capsules and #8 shot...got about the same size patterns and the factory duplicate .44 specials grouped tightly. Gonna bench it at 25 yards this next week to see if it will beat the Taurus. Kicks with the solids. (You can find these Charters used even today for around $175-225. The Taurus at Presley's in Bartonville a few weeks ago was priced at $400 or so.

Stan

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

All are rifled barrels I presume?

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

To shoot shotshells from a handgun, under federal law, the barrel must be rifled....Thompson Center started the new wave back in the late '60's with the .45/.410 contender (got one of them, too...works great in .410, not worth much for accuracy with the .45 Colt...too long a run before the bullet hits the rifling). I've played with shotloads in handguns for fifty years, starting with .45 Colts, gas checks upside down on five grains of Bullseye and a case full of #9's, another gas check crimped on top of the shot. Deadly out to a short distance...the gas check disrupted the shot somewhat. Remco shot caps came in about the early sixties, disappeared later. Tried Hotshots in the contender in .357 and .44. Speer capsules are best now (about all there is)
    If I was going to hunt bunnies or squirrels, the Contender is the choice. For riding the mower around the farm looking for rats, beavers cutting my saplings, or just looking out for meth freaks, the Charter is my partner...two shot caps up first, three soft hollowpoints following. I think the Taurus would be the best bet as the 2 1/2" .410 would have the best payload.
    Either 7 1/2's or 8's for those of you who worry about that.
    Stan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.