1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TAURUS PT-1911

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by peddler, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peddler

peddler Member

Has anyone had any experience with the Taurus PT-1911? What kind of quality is the gun? Any information you have would be appreciated.

thanks

Jon

2. 68sscamaro

68sscamaro TS Member

i got one when they first came out, still runs as good as my kimber.. but it is heavy..

3. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

good shooter,but taurus scam'd me and thousands moore on their end of year $75. rebate,
    here is what happend,rebate form had 4 items to to get rebate 1)fill out form2)attach orig store reciept 3)label from box 4)send in warranty card.
    #4 is where the weaseld out on the deal,i did as the form stated but my self addressed warranty card was sent in like i do with all my guns to taurus and not the rebate company address(after talking with taurus customer no-service they said rebate co was a seprate company),and since i didnt send the warranty card to the rebate co i was s.o.l.
    now 3 calls to customer service,1/2 hr wait on hold for a human,the last rep admitted they were handeling 400-500 calls per day,yes per day for the same reason.now if thats how they handel buisness i wonder how they handel problems with their product,i know of 4 others from my club that had the same problem.
    I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TAURUS PROUDUCT AGAIN,mark jones

4. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

But it you will not be disappointed! I have a Wilson CQB, and several others of that genre. While not quite as finely fitted or finished, it will do the same thing probably just as well. And the Taurus cost me $529.00 on sale. I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up for a go to gun for what ever I was going to do! PBB another poster on here who builds 45's say they are a good value, and I agree. RG

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I think DWA are a little better, but I don't know about after the CZ acquisition.

HM

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Two friends and I each have one and none of us have had any complaints. Forged frame and slide, lots of enhancements. I had to do a little polishing to get mine to feed some old factory SWCs but nothing else. We sell about one to two a week in the shop where I work and there is often a stock watch or waiting list. We've had no complaints there either and a gun shop is where you hear "opinions", founded or unfounded.

Sorry about your rebate problem...usually there is a reason beyond human understanding. I was surprised the other day when I got a check for a rebate I'd filed for several years ago.

Compare a PT1911 to a mil-spec Springfield or Rock Island and then add up what the enhancements would cost you.....you're about a grand ahead (if you chose to have a pro put all that work into one)

7. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

It's worth about what you pay for it no more no less. They have been some problems with them but the Taurus warrenty is good. No way in the same class as a Springfield or Kimber and maybe a little better than Rock island because of the warrenty. All the extra custom features touted are hardly that, cheap cast parts are used and the fit leaves much to be desired, look close at the so called checkering and compare it to a real checkered 1911 and you will see. There is no free lunch especially in 1911's,

8. peddler

peddler Member

Thanks for all the great feed back. I am going to try one

Peddler

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've been building a few.. I think they are an excellent dollar value.. if you shoot them as they are.. Anything more than that.. Start with a Caspian slide and frame.. or a STI.. Either you can get a fitted slide/frame assembly from the factory.. Add a cylinder and slide trigger/hammer/sear assembly and a EGW slide stop with a Wilson safety.. both grip and thumb.. A Fustion extended mag. release.. and get a Storm Lake,Nowlin or Bar Sto barrel properly fitted..(many other great barrel makers out there..these are just 3 excellent names.. Any you'll have a gun that will outshoot you.. My highest credit to Ross Carter.. who can build you the BEST money can buy..and you will be VERY,VERY Happy..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.