1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Taurus Judge, Little o. t. Opinions and experience

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

A friend of mine who has no money problems bought one of the 3" Judges. He fired three shells before he quit-same recall problems. We were having coffee and he said he'd sell the darn thing for $200. The next day I asked him if he was serious and I agreed to buy it. The next day I gave him a chance to back out and he wanted to get rid of it. After I bought it I sent it to the factory for repairs under their lifetime warranty policy of the gun and not the owner.

Any other experiences good or bad?

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

To me they seem very oversized and bulky, people seem to buy them, they sell many at my local gun shop.

I could see where they might be good for a trail gun with the shotshell option for snakes and such.

Shoot a .410 buckshot round out of it and see how you like the recoil.

3. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

top selling pistol over the past 3 years. hard to find especialy the longer barrel models.l

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I like em. Probably the only Taurus I would buy. They became really popular after the movie Max Payne came out.

5. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I have shot everything out of my 2-1/2" SS "Judge", skeet loads, 4s, .410 000 buckshot(personal defense loads) .45 cowboy loads and deer slugs. I think the recoil is heavier with the deer slugs but not too bad. I take it with me every time I go in the woods. Haven't had any problems with it. I think it's a great gun even if it is a little pricey. Larry Evans

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Lady friend of my wife's bought one for home protection. I don't think I would want to break-in. Point and shoot, lots of stuff coming out of the barrel....

7. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Go to the Taurus website and watch the Judge video. That's the selling point right there.

8. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

I have the 3" barrel, 2.5" chamber, it's a great pistol, I carry it every hunt or field trip I'm on... I really like it, it has the best grips...GRUBBY

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I've got the Ultralite model with a 3" barrel DA/only. I load 000 staggered with #6 shot in it. Shot the gun about 25 times. Only negative is the muzzel flash in total darkness. Otherwise great car/house gun. Not for carry.

Phil Berkowitz

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is a very large handun that doesn't lend itself to carry and doesn't shoot the single projectile (.45 colt) accurately. Probably the selling point is that people see this gun as a handheld shotgun with a pattern so big that they don't need any kind of skill to get rounds on target. Reality is quite a bit different from that.

Most folks would be better off with conventional handgun that carries well and thus they will probably have it when it is needed. They might even be inclined to practice with it more than they would with the handheld shotgun that someone has convinced them that all they need to do is point it in the general direction and yank the trigger.

11. STOS

STOS Member

You better shoot it as a .45 long colt because the .410 load is worthless.I HAD a 6" stainless and thought i would try it out before i really needed it.I loaded up some 2-1/2" 6 shot and set a aluminum can up about 15 feet away and shot it 5 rounds and not 1 pellet hit it.Sold it the next day.

12. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

"doesn't shoot the single projectile (.45 colt) accurately" guess you don't call a 6" group at 15yd ACCURATE.(that's great center of mass group for and 2 legged thug)... and who in the hell is going to shoot snakes at 15 feet, most of the ones I've killed have been more like 3 to 5ft....NO, it's not a 45ACP hardball target gun and it's not a K-80, it very good for what it was made for...GRUBBY

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I bought one at Cabela's a few years ago, it had a problem that it would only shoot every other round using a .410, but would fire every round with a .45 LC, I took it back to Cabela's,they were going to give me another one, but didn't have one so they gave me cash back.

Still have 5 boxes of .45 LC's, and a holster for one so I guess someday I need to get another one

But I think they are way over rated

14. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

All Taurus products are, and have always been, pieces of shit

Joe

15. rd

rd TS Member

I've had 2 and still own the 3" mag 3" barrel. Love it. It is not choked, so I can't believe anyone would shoot 6's at 15 feet and expect anything other than what you experienced. It is extremely effective with 000 and with slugs at "combat" distances-- 3 t0 7 yards. An excellent car gun.

16. STOS

STOS Member

Maddog that was shot at 15 Feet not 15 yards

17. wolfram

No Grubby, 6" @ 15 yards is not even close to my idea of an accurate handgun. Most of my targets are much smaller than that - center of mass on a jack rabbit is about 2-3" but no matter what size the target is you still need to pick a spot and place the round.

18. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

And just who would shoot a jack rabbit with a 45 Colt ? you sure didn't want to eat much of it...your missing the point, it's a close up and personal self-defense pistol (aka car gun as has been said), it's not a target pistol and it's not a K-80, if I want an accurate wheel gun, I'll carry a K-38, if I want a accurate auto, I'll carry my Kimber Crimson Carry....and your point being, use it for what it was designed for...and not carry on about what it can't do....GRUBBY

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

How many people would pick a 410 shotgun as their home defense weapon? Even in a full size shotgun the answer is not many at all. So why is the same load made even more inefficient because of being shot threw a short barreled revolver now be so great?

The best thing about the Judge is the video they made, even if it gives an unrealistic view of it's effectiveness. I guess it's great for people who have no confidence in their shooting ability and think an underpowered hand shotgun is going to make up for it. If the Judge could actually perform like people think it will in a personal defense situation it would be ok, for snakes you may as well carry a 44 or 357 with snake loads, at least you could put hollow points in it if you needed to and actually have accuracy. For the same weight and bulk there are a bunch of good handguns better suited. It just proves there are a lot of gullible people out there.

20. wolfram

Well I shoot quite a few jacks with .45 colt guns and .44 special and .45 autos and even my lowly 2" J frame .38 special gets a fair number of them .... I use what ever happens to be with me at the time and if a handgun doesn't pass the jack rabbit test I have no reason to think it will perform satisfactorily in a serious situation. And no we don't eat the Jacks - they are vermin.

So my point is I can (and do) carry guns like that and I shoot them a whole bunch. None of them were designed as jackrabbit specials. In the unlikely event that I ever need to use one of these guns socially I'm pretty confident in the equipment and my ability to use it and most importantly the gun is versatile enough be where it is needed and not relegated to just a car gun.

I couldn't say the same for a Taurus Judge .410. But I can see you have a great belief in your Judge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.