1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Taurus 22 Mag Revolver Opinion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Fraz, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

I am considering a 22 mag revolver and looking at the Taurus 941,5/6" but know very little about the gun, accuracy, wear & tear, ect. also considering the Ruger single 6, & Smith. need a little user advice.
    Thanks Fraz

2. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Fraz,

The Ruger Single Six is a real nice gun. It will last for a long, long time. Many of these .22 mags also come with a .22 long rifle cylinder. This is of course a single action revolver.

See you tomorrow if it is not raining.

Chris

3. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I will second the Ruger Single Six!!! It is a great gun and will last a lifetime. They now make the Single Ten a 10 shot single action in .22/22 Mag

Oscar

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

They're right, Fraz -- the Ruger Single Six convertible is a proven winner. No comparison w/ a Taurus.

-Gary

5. ky4some

ky4some Member

Taurus makes a nice revolver. But they aren't the quality of fit and finish of the Rguer or the Smith. I believe that Smith & Wesson makes the finest revolvers in any caliber.

Mike Kamer

6. Bill Buffalo

Bill Buffalo Member

Kel-Tec PMR 30 is the best and most fun 22 mag going. It's not a revolver but it sure is accurate and with 30 rounds it's a blast.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

There was a write up on the Taurus revolver you mentioned in the American Rifleman a couple of months ago. It sounds like a pretty nice gun and the photos showed a nicely finished piece. Probably a good value and it is a nine shooter sold with both cylinders.

Ruger has a long history of producing good quality plinkers and I think everyone should have at least one Single Six in their collection. I really like the older three screw models. I have also heard the Ruger has a 10 shot double action .22 on the 101 frame. That would be a hoot. I would take a Ruger over a Taurus just because of their track record.

S&W revolvers are going to be in a much higher price range than either the Taurus or the Ruger. In my opinion they are worth it but you are the buyer. I just love the model 17 and model 18s. (these are .22 lr)

I'm not convinced of the merits of the .22 mag in a short barrel gun. You get a whole lot of blast and noise and not that much of a performance improvement over the .22LR. That is not the case with rifles.

8. In plain view

In plain view Member

Oscar Ray: I just purchased a new Ruger Single 10 and it did not come with a magnum cylinder like my Super 6 did. Gun Shop told me prior to sale that the Super 10 does not come with a magnum cyclinder. Bob

9. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The Taurus is double action and some people are looking for a DA 22 mag I wish more were available from S&W and other companies.

10. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Taurus is better than it used to be.......but I say buy the S&W if money is not a factor. Second I would say a Ruger and if you do not want the extra time and hassel of loading/unloading a single six, Ruger is making a really neat SP101 model in the 22--stainless and a 4" bbl. This should be atleast a hundred less than the S&W I would think. Bryan

11. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

The Ruger SP101 is 549.00 shipped and insured to your FFL----when you can get them!!

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The Taurus is a cheap gun with a bad resale value. They aren't finished the way they should be.

The Ruger is a very good with a good resale value. So is the S+W guns. I would take either one but not the Taurus.

13. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

I've got a 1973 with original box, manual & extra cylinder. May even have
    the magazine with the Single Six on the cover. Best single action .22 around and it's available if the price is right!

smoknjoe_2009_251094.jpg

14. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Chief,

Don't know what you plan on using it for. I figured you would still have your service revolver for protection.

Anyway, I had a Ruger Single Six for years, and liked the fact I could switch cylinders and shoot anything from .22 shorts up to the .22 Win Mag.

Treated me great for a lot of years, wish I had never sold it.

If for plinking, that would be my choice !

Your old friend, Dave in SC

15. locdoc

locdoc Member

Can't speak to the current production Taurus.

I have a 941 Taurus in 22 mag. It's OK now but when I got it in 2000 it was a piece of S*** ! Trigger pull was HORRIBLE. Never the same on two consecutive pulls and as strong as 20 pounds. Taurus reworked it and it is much better now but still not as smooth and easy as a Smith or Ruger.

Try B4 you buy, if you can.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
opinion taurus 941
opinions taurus 941

taurus 941 accuracy