1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

tarnished gun brass

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazzitmxshooter, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazzitmxshooter

perazzitmxshooter Member

Looking for a good formula to clean a large quanity of tarnished handgun brass.

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

tumbler and corn cob or polishing media of your choice.

3. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

you can also use crushed walnut shells as a media. Order from a sporting goods place and you will spend twice too much. Goto a good pet store, one that has lizards and snakes. They will have crushed walnut bedding at half the price as a sporting goods store.

4. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

add about 1 tsp of Flitz to the media.

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Flitz or Brass-O. Mike.

6. otnot

otnot Active Member

I use stainless steel media. It only takes a couple of hours in a tumbler.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kdvq3Kc_Vm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Stainless requires an initial investment, but is great.

Also, if it is heavily tarnished, I used Lemi-Shine w/ warm water in 5 gal buckets. Agitate periodically and they will come out fairly clean. Then if you want SHINY brass, throw them in the tumbler.

8. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Try a TBL spoon of powdered citric acid in a gallon of water. Add a spoonful of dish detergent to act as a surfactant. It takes an hour or so with occaisional agitation. Rinse thoroughly with hot water soak and agitation. I use 2 small buckets and a collander. You can reuse the product or toss it as it is safe. I reccomend primer removal before treatment. Your brass will really shine and there is no abrasive residue.

9. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

for cleaning; crushed walnut shells from a sand blasting company, cheap... this is what they use to clean turbo-shaft jets (while running)

corn cob is what is used to polish...

what you pour in, if you like; Flitz, Brass-O, Dillion etc, think 7.5 or 8s

if you really have a large amount, and it's a one time deal, rent a small cement mixer...

Grubby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.