1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target's

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by I WON, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I WON

I WON TS Member

Green vs. Orange, why ?

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

A lot depends on the background - green birds against tall evergreens for example? But there are places where one or the other just seems to work better than the other and shooters usually will voice their opinion....Bob Dodd

3. I WON

I WON TS Member

Green appears to be better in most situations. Orange turns dark or darker against a dark background.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

To my surprise, green is excellent against green trees. Green targets also seem to get better as the light gets worse. Against many solid backgrounds green is an excellent choice. Against a sky background, green may be the worst choice.

On very bright sunny days with no clouds, against a solid tree background, when the Sun is high in the sky (May,June,July) solid orange may be best. At other times, green seems to give more contrast against the background.

Pat Ireland

5. I WON

I WON TS Member

I agree Pat, Green is excellent with trees in the background. Why is it then that clubs or the shooter prefer orange ? Is it just a inventory headache for the club ?

6. I WON

I WON TS Member

Why could this not be a shooter's option or choice at time of registration ?

7. otnot

otnot Active Member

I would like to know what kind of targets are being used in Halen Campbells new video? When he turns them into smoke it's orange not black. I think if trapshooting is ever to be televised these are the targets we need to be using.

8. I WON

I WON TS Member

Is there an ata rule that dictates what color of target that has to be used ?

9. razor

razor TS Member

what i have noticed about green or tree backgrounds is that they are black or dark due to shadows and shade. if you look past the first trees deeper into the woods you will see what i mean. that's why the bright green targets stand out so well. just my opinion, razor

10. I WON

I WON TS Member

I agree Razor, I think green targets should be used more and I think scores would go up as well. The orange targets are used when green should be used.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Orange stinks but certainly has it's place in sky backgrounds. The original orange paint had a fluorescent additive but it was removed by the manufacturer. Even the boxes were marked "Fluorescent Orange Dome Targets" at one time.

Green has statistically produced higher scores when we throw them against our mostly green trees background. Shooters tend to reject green targets at most clubs simply because they're different. I sometimes wonder if the old black and white might be a bit easier to see!!

12. I WON

I WON TS Member

I suggest that the ata recommend that every state have have at least 5 all green registered shoots per year.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Recommending target colors is well beyond the authority of the ATA.

Pat Ireland

14. I WON

I WON TS Member

Even if the shooter suggest a change ? If, the state's org's would complete a "Trial" of at least 5 shoots to prove that scores increase and prove that orange is not the color of target choice for all registered shoots would benefit all.

15. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Each color has its place.
    So does yellow, white, black, and various combinations.
    Best choice is determined by background and lighting.

16. I WON

I WON TS Member

Then what you are saying green is never to be used ?

17. I WON

I WON TS Member

code, is there an ata background committee to determine what "color" to use and if not why ?

18. I WON

I WON TS Member

JB explain your thought and give us a scenario ?

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

code5coupe- I agree with you except for the possibility of yellow. I remember them.

I WON- The ATA should never become involved is color selection for individual clubs. Selection of the basic style of target is known. Black rim for sky, solid color for a solid background are best. For combinations of tree/sky background probably NY style or black rim depending on how much tree and sky.

The specific colors should be left to the club. If you want to suggest another color to a club, just buy a couple of cases of the color and load every other stack in a PAT trap with that color and let the shoot management compare them. I did that at my club about 4 years ago, using solid orange and green. Everyone agreed that green was good. We stayed with the orange for a couple more years and finally changed to green. Change takes time.

Pat Ireland

20. I WON

I WON TS Member

Is there a Target setting committee to set Legal Targets ? Why is there not a Target Color committee to use the proper color target for the background for registered shoots ? I feel that orange targets are used when green should be used for the background at that club. This carries over for the clubs registered shoots as well. Orange is used arbitrarily, that is why the target mfg. makes the target in different colors for different situations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.