1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Targets Too Bright

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

This discussion board is a world of information sent by so many who have given me information. Question: Under very bright conditions, I have a terrible time shooting trap..enough to give it up for the brighter months. Targets look so big and bright that they give me eye flinches; sometimes it is hard to keep my eyes on the bird and I fight not closing my eyes. I do wear orange Decots.

I have mild and congenital cataracts that are slowly getting bigger that likely is also part of the problem..the light is likely dispersed too far on the retina for consistent centering of the target. The effects of "flare" are also noted when driving at night.

So..has anybody else had this unusual or not common problem? If so, did you try and overcome it and what was the workaround? I am going to try darker polarized lenses, but the answer might be just to not shoot during this time of year and hold off for overcast conditions and a lower sun in the sky. I now have a very hard time making a smooth move to the target; singles scores go down from "B" class averages to less than high "D" class averages. Waste of time and effort right now..and money to shoot.

Thanks for indulging this snivel and any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmmmm ... very very dark glasses and a Braille Shotgun?

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

try polarized with red or orange tint.

4. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

That's odd. Usually, the bigger the target, the easier it is to hit.

Baseball players talk about fastball pitchers throwing "pills," and when they crush the pitch, they say the ball looked like a "grapefruit."

With these New York Targets (which I would immediately give up for orange dome), you're not seeing a lot of orange, anyway.

I'm certain there's a lens that could mitigate your color sensitivity.

5. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

yeah, you need to check out some different lenses and see what helps. I use a polarized purple on bright days and they're awesome.

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Sounds like dark and polarized is the way many have gone. I have found that if a target is too big and bright, I tend to squint and it is very hard to keep eyes "locked" on the target..result, a lurch at the target or a flinch. Not fun...a smaller (perceived) target, within reason, I guess, makes one more readily center the target. Bigger perceived target, less precise, then miss! I've found this problem every summer and finally figure there must be a fix or a help.

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Wow. I wish I had that problem. I prefer a target being too big and too bright over one that looks like an orange aspirin tablet on edge. But seriously.. try a darker lens than what you normally use and one that does not enhance the color orange at all.

Jeff

8. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

I'm with you, GoldEx. I wish I could make that target look like a basketball.

9. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I used to have that same problem I went with seeing eye dachshunds. LOL Sorry I couldn't help it!!
    sirmissalott_2008_03039.jpg

10. BMC

BMC Member

I believe that what you "could" be experiencing is the result of high blood pressure. A good friend of mine experienced the same symptoms, particularly the flare at night. This is noted around night lights and reflective signs. My doctor told me to watch for the very same thing as high blood pressure runs in my family.

If I need to tone down the over-brightness of targets that result in targets that are more of a fuzzy color rather than clear and defined it is usually the super bright sun around midday. Polarized lenses in a dark amber usually solves the problem right away.

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks BMC and SirMissAlot. Yes I do have minor idiopathic high blood pressure. Had it most of my life. BP meds really suck and I stay away from them; they bring down my BP quite a bit at the expense of being out of breath so badly that climbing up 32 stairs is "painful" by the time I get to the top. And at 184 lbs, I'm only maybe ten lbs. overweight.

So...I'm looking forward to receiving my darker and polarized lenses.

Those Dachsunds (sp?) can help me shoot? Great...are they now "Nissan" dogs since there was that corporate name change?

12. snowbird trap shooter

snowbird trap shooter TS Member

Wait until you get just a little bit older. The problem will take care of itself.

13. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Chango. You have the right idea.

Try Gray - Polarized Lenses.

Regards, Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.