1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Targets Rise Above Green Trees into Gray Sky

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by paul7177, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I have a problem seeing targets that rise above the green tree background into a gray or hazy sky.

Does anyone here have this problem and/or have suggestions that have worked for them? Thanks.

2. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

My best approach has been clear lenses. A whole bunch of tints haven't produced better results, and ofter worse.
    Dave

3. Suncutter

Suncutter TS Member

CMT lenses

4. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Clear lenses and practice with that kind of backround are best for me. Orange targets with black rims are better for me than the all orange.

5. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

New York style paint job targets are the best way to see targets that SKY....

6. Straight99

Straight99 Member

What ars New York style palnt jobs?

7. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Orange top and Black band targets.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I use CMT and dark Purple/Maroon lenses it is a blend of both, could be called Plum. All other times I use clear lenses, I have about 8 different Rx Lens colors to choose from.

The Missouri Plum works well in your case. From Custom Sportswear and Optical. they are Ranger Glasses.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I have this problem, too. I found the only way to get consistent hits is to hold a low gun (on or just below the front lip of the house), and get aggressive on the bird. The earlier I can hit them, the better my scores. I lost two birds on the last trap in our Provincial Handicap championship last weekend that hit a break in the tree line and disappeared temporarily.If I had hit them, it would have been a 96, and the championship for me. I had slowed down my shots just a bit, to make sure of the birds, but it backfired on me bigtime.

10. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

shoot them before they get that high ?

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Black rim targets should be thrown when there is a combination of green and sky background.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Shoot faster...don't ride 'em.

Curt

13. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

A lit rose color helped me; just make sure it's a clear sky and not cloudy when you use that tint; if cloudy, I like the light purple lenses...

14. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

A lit rose color helped me; just make sure it's a clear sky and not cloudy when you use that tint; if cloudy, I like the light purple lenses...

15. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

16. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

Even the scores can't see them when you break them. Tough backround. Jr

17. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I admit to presuming this thread was going to be about Evergreen Trap Club near Olympia, WA where the PITA Grand and other shoots are held. That exact problem exists there. No other facility in the Northwest can match the number of traps (36) that Evergreen has, and otherwise is a great facility. Maybe the solution would be to cut down a certain number of those trees..(oops, I didn't really say that).

Cheers to all,

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.