1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

targets = release, birds = pull?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by no5shooter, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

The recent "release versus pull" thread was interesting, especially the post concerning the ergonomic testing of the issue. Now, here's a question for the dedicated release trigger shooters here (I'm not one, at least not yet): Is it ever a problem for target shooters using a release to go hunting with either a shotgun or a rifle and shoot a pull trigger?

I recognize this assumes all or most hunting guns have pull triggers, and I would think a release trigger on a hunting gun would be a safety concern. My question is of personal interest, and comes from the fact that I have been shooting all kinds of firearms for almost 60 years, all with pull triggers. I am now considering switching to a release for trap only, and wondering if that may somehow affect my shooting of other guns, especially my hunting shotguns. I'd like to hear what experiences others have had... Jerry in Oregon.

2. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Hunting doesn't seem to require the same type of thinking that Trap does. I have no problem in shooting a pull at birds or big game. Before I went to the release I had a heck of a time shooting the rifle....wanted to slap the trigger. I think I have that worked out.

Rick in Mt.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you are shooting a field gun and mounting it from a low gun position, it's no problem. If you pre-mount the gun you will have a problem.

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

One of mine has a release. No problem going back to a pull, just gotta keep your mind on what you are doing. After a couple of shots it's just like old times.

Gne J

5. JTPTM1

JTPTM1 TS Member

i agree with dickgtax. once you start shooting release its only when you pre-mount the gun that you have a problem going back to pull. i shoot release in trap,skeet, and flyers. can shoot them all pull if i start with a low gun. pre-mounted and i start flinching after about 10 shots. never a problem going back to pull for hunting of any kind.
    joe

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ditto what the rest have said. I never as much as think about setting the trigger on a rifle or crossbow, both of which are shot pre-mounted, whether I'm shooting repeatedly at targets or hunting. In fact, I had to hold my crossbow on a deer for over two minutes last Tuesday afternoon before he gave me a shot angle I could use. When he did, the bow went off and I didn't flinch.

Weird how the mind works...

Ed

7. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Thanks for the input, guys. This all makes sense and it's how I hoped it would work, just wasn't sure.

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

AverageEd, If you read enough of these posts you begin to wonder whose mind, HOW weird?? LOL. Are you through with my Trapshooting USA yet? I enjoy your writings. Thanks, Bob

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

I was really worried about it last week when I went on my first bird hunt.

I had taken the hunting gun to the trap club to get some practice with pull triggers. What a disaster - missed half the shots.

In the field; no problems. Hit 5 of 6 birds.

Weird.

Don Verna

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Way before I knew I had a flinch shooting trap I wondered why I was missing most of my first shots at quail, chuckar or pheasants ? Now I know !! Most times you don`t realize what has happened because there are various types of flinches plus with each person could be different and at the moment with the excitement of the chase it doesn`t click in your head . But to the question , I had no problem hunting with one or skeet/sporting clay shooting . You just have to remember what you have in you hands . I don`t hunt any more but we do wobble sporting from a dropped stock position and I use the release but set it when the gun is shouldered .

11. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I shoot a release for trap but use a pull for hunting. I cannot however shoot at targets with a rifle. In order to sight in for hunting I have to sand bag in and pull the trigger. Funny how the mind works. Post-2

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Bob, thanks for the kind words but I don't have your Trapshooting USA, at least not that I'm aware.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.