1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Targets only ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Hypothetical ? Lets say you're at a registered shoot & decide to shoot "targets only" & have the highest score can you get a punch? Can you get a punch for a score above 96 or better?

Phil Berkowitz

2. Cooter

Cooter Member

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary--I know a person who was shooting his first registered ATA shoot was on the 23 won & got a punch. Has been reduced to the 23 after 1000 target review.

Phil Berkowitz

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Started on the 23? Wow, tough crowd.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

A penalty of 23 yards is not uncommon at larger shoots. A few years ago, I classified a new shooter with no ATA targets as Penalty 23. He shot well the first day and I punched him to the 24. The next day he shot one target better and I punched him to the 25. Not bad for his first 200 handicap targets. Both he and I were proud of his shooting.

Pat Ireland

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Years back, shooting targets only had an entirely different meaning. It meant you could pay the target/daily only fees without shooting for the event trophy. At a reduced price for registering the targets.

Hap

7. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Pat, did he win on those two days or 96+ scores?

8. missed some

missed some TS Member

I thought it was still that way Hap........ why else do it?

9. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

Hap, You are correct about the "Targets only" declaration but I believe that type was for vet and sr vet shooters. I have shot targets only for many years and was always eligible for trophy's and punches.

I could be wrong about that.

Mike Adcock

10. Hap MecTweaks

missedsome&Mike, everyone pays the same price today for registered targets, with some exception for Jr./sub Jr. class shooters. Today, targets only mean something entirely different than that term of old.

The era I'm speaking of was early 70s and back. Registered targets could be shot for one of two prices. Full pay entitled one to shoot for any trophies offered, targets only would be registered and you weren't eligible for any trophies offered for the lesser shooting fee. A lot of the shoot programs listed "Targets & Trophy Fees" instead of todays "Target Fees" in their shoot brochures. If you shot targets only and shot a class (event) winning score or in handicaps, you won yardage or class advancement also. The only free ride was shooting registered targets for less money.

Hap

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Targets only = no options at my club.

Eric

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

The shooter I refereed to shot a 97 on the first day and a 98 on the second day. He is still shooting and has gone back down to the 22 yard line.

Targets Only- When classified as targets only, the shooter is not eligible to play any options. When a shooter does not have the minimum number of targets to avoid a penalty classification, he may elect to be classified "targets only" and not be required to shoot the penalty. He may, or may not, depending on the club, be eligible for trophies. At the cashiers window, targets only means that the shooter has elected not to play any options.

Pat Ireland

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I was shooting at the NJ State Shoot. I was shooting "Targets Only". I did not have enough registered targets so they made me shoot 2 yard penalty. I shot a 96 and they gave me a punch from the penalty yardage. In a single event I got 2 1/2 yards!

14. missed some

missed some TS Member

at most places, and I believe ALL places I have shot it is like Pat said, could be wrong, but WTF would targets only mean, and why pay for a trophy if you can;t win by your declaration of TO, but don't declare TO and expect to play options, or whine when you win no trophy, I have seen this numerous times mark crist

15. Hap MecTweaks

Mark, you can win the championship trophy even if you declare TO today. With the exception of penality yardage and class for not having required numbers of targets shot. TO in years gone by meant you could shoot for less money forgoing the trophy even if you shot a winning score. Today's TO is far different than those shooting times of yesteryear. A portion of the entry pays for the trophy fees for said trophy. You could opt out of paying for the trophy fee by declaring TO just for registering purposes! Today, everyone pays that trophy fee regardless of what you declare with the set price per hundred!! Except as I noted above.

Hap

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

jcl- What is wrong with registered practice. I do not shoot for money. If money was a goal, I would stay home and work. I am not really interested in more trophies. I have several boxes of them in the attic. But, I do love to shoot registered targets and I am pleased when I shoot them well. I really enjoy registered marathon shoots. No money, no trophies but lots of targets.

Pat Ireland

17. Herman63

Herman63 Member

I have not been shooting alot lately because of work but when I do shoot I shoot registered practice some.

I do believe I have shot it with Pat Ireland in Middletown Ohio, doubles marathon if I remember correctly that I only lasted 200 rounds, and had a great time :)

Every trapshooter shoots for their own reasons.....

Herman63 from KY

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Herman- I only get to shoot at Middletown once a year )Fall Festival). I like the club.

jcl- We have different interests. I like to shoot registered targets. You do seem to have some strong views on ATA shooting even though you do not shoot registered trap.

Pat Ireland

19. missed some

missed some TS Member

where i shoot, registered are same as practice price wise

20. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

I'm not familiar with "registered practice". Does it mean you shoot (and pay for) practice scores to be ATA-registered and part of your average/handicap picture? I guess that's what a marathon does, now that I think about it. How would you go about having practice rounds registered? Someone at the Club would need to do some paperwork of some kind, I imagine? Must be some sort of ATA fee above and beyond regular target costs to do that? Someone "official" needs to score it or do you just turn in your scores?

Thanks.

Doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.