1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Targets only - no purse or side money

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by warpspeed, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I was wondering how many shooters shoot targets only.

some ? most ? very few ?

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

That's what the practice range is for.....

Either compete or just stay on the porch!

Curt

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

They're called "trinket shooters"!!

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

In my 40+ years of shooting trap, I have never shot for any money. Actually, I've never shot in competition either. Limited opportunities here in Vermont. And limited funds for any travel.

But I have a LOT of fun shooting.

Bruce

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Curt- If we followed your advice, the majority of shooters would quit shooting. From scanning the score shoots at larger shoots (the options played are often listed) it would appear that well over one half of the shooters do not play any money.

I do not play any money. I am competing against myself. When I shoot well I feel as if I have accomplished something. If I were concerned about money, I would stay home and work.

Pat Ireland

6. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Mr.Ireland,

Thank you for posting your reasoning,my feelings exacktly.

Sandy Holehouse -1003300

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've learned at big shoots you're money ahead if you keep it in your pocket.
    At smaller shoots, where I'm more competitive I'll usually play some of the options.
    Trap shooting to me is fun, I don't need to win trophies or money to enjoy it.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

The game will accommodate both camps. It is stupid thing to get worked up over.

If you are smart, and not a good shooter, you do not play the money.

If you are dumb, and not a good shooter, you place the money.

If you are very good, you play the money.

If you are a "target manager" you play the money.

It is really that simple.

Like Mr. Ireland, I make money at work. If it is about the money, I will sell everything and get a second job.

Don Verna (a happy "trinket shooter")

9. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Pat and Sandy, if you truly shoot against yourself why do you need the ATA? YOu can go to any trap at any club and shoot against yourself and save some money to boot. Hogwash. JRM

10. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I typically only ever shoot practice at the clubs we go to. Their is 5 clubs within 40 miles and we like to support all of them as much as we can. I don't have to win money to have fun.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like winning. I like winning money, guns, components, medals, shooting tickets, etc. Seems perfectly normal to me. HMB

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Life's way too damned short to take any game seriously.

Save your money and buy your own trinkets.

If winning is really what's important to you, there's always a war happening somewhere.

MK

13. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Pat Ireland wrote "I do not play any money. I am competing against myself. When I shoot well I feel as if I have accomplished something. If I were concerned about money, I would stay home and work."

Very well said and I agree.

14. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

If you shoot for a week straight, I doubt if most shooters win enough to get their money back. Little club shoots may be a different matter, but the payouts are small beer.

I stopped wasting money on options several years ago. But then again, I don't play the lottery, either. From the looks of the payout sheets, I'm not alone.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

JRM- I do shoot against myself. After I do that I visit with my friends. I have many friends from all around the country and I visit with them at ATA shoots between Florida, Ohio and Illinois. I have not shot West of the Mississippi for a few years. Another reason I shoot ATA targets is to keep my wife happy. She not only goes with me, she actually decides where I go to shoot. This is coordinated with her shopping. You would be amazed at what we bring back from a five day shoot. Two car top carriers on the roof and three more on a hitch haul is common. U Haul trailers are not unusual and a few times she has driven the Ford Explorer and I followed her in a 26 foot
    U Haul truck. Next week the 3 hour drive to the Southern Grand will take me 9.5 hours. We stop and shop a lot. This keeps the inventory for her antique business in fine shape.

Pat Ireland

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The most money I ever saw was buy buying smart at the "special event" held the night before the featured handicap......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

17. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Ok Pat, I guess you are going to all these events so your wife can re-stock her antiques business. That makes a lot of sense if you are truly shooting against yourself. Even at that once you get to the registered shoot you don't need to shoot ATA to visit with those friends to shoot aganst yourself. You would be amazed at how many of those same shooters are at the practice traps several times during the competition. BTW, if you are coming to the Southern Grand in 3 weeks you are going to be very disappointed. Jim

18. chipking

chipking TS Member

Pat and I agree 100% on this one. Call me anything you like. I compete against myself and get to catch up with some great friends afterward. And my name pops up often enough at the top that I have some nice trinkets and an occasional AA point to show for my fun.

--- Chip King ---

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I probably play the money 30% of the time. Many times I do not play the money because of the bad attitudes of people when there is a few dollars on the line. Over a few dollars, some people complain and try to cheat some angle about every little thing. That takes most of the fun out for me even if I end up winning.

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

JRM: It's also called "registered practice" It does nothing but give you bird counts toward your required targets to go to your State or the Grand. I don't think it's right but many shooters have trouble getting in enough targets. It offers the Sandbaggers to lower their averages with perhaps no one watching. So whatever!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.