1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Targets at the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ebsurveyor, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Yes I am trying to "stir the pot" and I don't know the answer to this question. I shot about 10,000 ATA targets before the Grand this year (PA TX NJ ME FL NY). At least 95% of the targets I shot at the Grand were higher than any targets I shot elsewhere this year. Where all target heights at the grand set by "eye"? I saw a few resets, but never saw a height stick. Did anyone ever see the target setters use a stick/rod for height?

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

No.... but one can employ a protractor to accomplish the same result, which would not be evident from behind the house....

With the winds we experienced setting targets was a challenge no matter what technique was used.

Note added: Setting the base plate angle method with a protractor is not documented in the ATA rule book.

Guy Babin

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Sometimes you gotta drive a long way to shoot legal targets...

Just sayin'

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I noticed that the targets were higher with the wind in the north & a lot lower when it came from behind you from the south.........actually they looked fine to me.

5. zinger

zinger Member

it was overheard that the guy who was to set the machine over to doubles couldn't find the "mark" on the height bar. When he asked the target setter where the "mark" was, he was told "oh, we replaced that machine yesterday so there's no mark, just eyeball it"..the worker laughed and said "you're taxing my abilities and went into the traphouse.....so, I'm going to wager a guess and say no to the stick, and no to the protractor. Targets were nice on a calm day...whatever day that was! lol...just sayin'

6. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

The targets looked great to me ......

7. Don S

Don S Member

No wind Sunday.

8. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

anybody know what sanding the arm on a pat trap means and if so do you know when it is needed and if so was it done at the Grand?

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Puts more spin on the target for greater stability in flight. HMB

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Head and tail winds make target setting more art than science or math numbers regardless of whether a protractor, eye-ball or height pole is used. At this Grand, we had an abundant supply of both of these kinds of breezes to contend with.

Targets should only be re-set if they become illegal and not on personal preferences. From what I understand, the height rule wording will be changed somewhat and the explanitation I got was about as clear as mud?

The part time shooters had a terrible time coping with the various presentations at this years Grand. High,low, short and longer thrown targets was very challenging to say the least. Leo and company didn't have much of a problem as they knew how to deal with the differences.

I had a lot of trouble with the higher targets because of my health problems and not the settings. My caps score on my first trap Saturday took it's toll on my score,then, three 24s for a paltry 92. I'll adapt better next time!

Hap

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My scores were very blah this year but it wasn't because of the targets. Sure wind can be a real challenge but I wasn't thrown targets I couldn't break if I was on my game. It all came down to not doing my part. I shot at 1000 targets scattered over the 10 days at this year's Grand and I think I had one house(4 traps/bank except doubles) that might have needed attention. We didn't have it adjusted. Personally, I like shooting in wind. It can be the equalizer for some and give an advantage to others who shoot good in those conditions.

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

We had our doubles targets reset Thursday, he didn't want to but finally checked them with the radar gun and they measured 37. Sped them up to 40 and they did much better in that wind.

13. shootnair

shootnair Member

Nope didn't see anyone checking them. Pretty much impossible for them to give you the perfect bird this year.. Shot seven days at the grand the wind was constantly shifting direction and speed during the day and sometimes during the same hundred bird event. It is hard to adust the birds with them variables to please all. I agree with Hunter44 when the wind was from the north they were higher but soon as it stopped or changed direction they were back to normal or seemed low.

14. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

After a few days of Southern Winds it switched from the North and remained like that through most of the Grand. Hence, cooler temps and one hell of a storm last Thursday. Headwinds will always affect the birds more on flat land. Didn't much bother me but I heard a lot of shooters complaining about either the winds or the WEEDS :eek:)

blade819

15. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

In answer to the question re: sanding the arm. At our Club, we sand them before each ATA shoot and it if's a two or three day shoot, they are sanded every day.
    Hopefully they did the same at The Grand.
    Knowing the person that checks up on the traps, he likely sands the arms at least every two weeks when it's just recreational or league shooting going on.
    There is a stick with sandpaper on it that some Club members know of that is accessible to them.

Tim

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you did use a protractor on the machine what degree do you look for?

17. atanra

atanra Member

16.7 degree by my calculation .

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I got this from Bob a while back. Works for us, our traps are on a hill. T-bar is not an option.

A little headwind is one click down, pretty good tailwind, two clicks, etc.

19. guthooked

guthooked Member

Never seen a stick for height check. Seen a squad or two ahead me say something about how high the targets were. The trapsetter comes roaring in on his cart and jumps off while it still going and it goes rolling 20' or so before it stops. This guys goes running to the trap and comes back out and says it already set to the lowest position it goes to "shoot the targets" .

I did see someone check the speed with the radar gun on one trap when they switched on Sunday.

I personally think the targets were high myself.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

As said above, weak set "easy" targets set with less speed also means less rotational speed necessary for flight stability. Target stability is very important, at least out to where a normal shot is taken, before the winds have a major effect on the clay.

I'll never understand why the height rule was changed from 8 to 12 foot high to 8 to 10? The original settings allowed for slight head or tail winds without the breezes causing too high or too low targets. We had a two foot varience to work with so I never could figure out any advantages to that rule change!!

Last word I got was the height rule wording in our rule book would be changed?? We'll see how that works out too as the explanitation I got was about as clear as mud?

Overall, the targets were set high to begin with, headwinds caused them to raise drastically, a slight tailwind created approximately a 9 foot target and were raised by some.

Target changing should only occure when they become illegal, not a shooters preference as it's keeping the trap mechanics busy yoyoing the machines up and down!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.