1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TARGET YEAR UPDATE - @@@@@@@@@ NEIL

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ed Y, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't disagree but I do think that the decision to revert back should have been made earlier. As I stated in a previous thread, I know at least one person in New Jersey that, if the target year is changed back, will have to scramble to get his target requirements to make his state team. He was planning on reaching his goal at this years Westy Hogan Tournament in September. Also, do you think that the small clubs will be notified, in time, to collect annual dues at their September shoots?

Ed Yanchok

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do strongly agree that the target year should be moved back to 1 Sept. but I can see some real problems if the change is made to move it back in 2008. The Board of Directors will meet tomorrow evening (Aug. 22) to consider the change. That is only 9 days prior to the first of September.

Pat Ireland

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Pat, tomorrow is the 14th. Jim

4. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

If the BoD votes to change it back to how it was in the previous years(Sept.1st) and the change that was to take place this year never happens, then did anything really change?

Bullwinkle: Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.
    Rocky: Again?
    Bullwinkle: Presto!
    Lion: ROAR!!!
    Bullwinkle: Oops, wrong hat.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

What problems Pat? Just asking, not trying to pick a fight. If the move back to September 1 is so important, why not just do it now.

Have the 2008 year end on Oct 30, or whenever it was changed to. Then start the 2009 target year on Sep 1, 2008. Targets shot in Sep and Oct count for both years. People who banked on having the extra months to accumulate targets this year don't get shafted. Those that need the head start for the early shoots next year get what they want. Hell, this may even prompt more people to register more targets in Sep and Oct, because they get a 2fer. Best of both worlds.

6. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Hi Niel went you and the BOD meet to talk about the target year just don't think about the clubs up north here down in the south are season starts the end of January and runs through the end of March when we have all of are major shoots and Nov 1 only gives use three months less the hoildays to get in the targets before the start of our season and it hurts a lot of clubs and new ATA shooters who will not get enough target in. The change wasn't realy a good choice on your part by not lookig at the hole picture and the other clubs in the ATA that aren't from up North.

7. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Sorry Neil for mispelling your frist name I hit the wrong key by mistake

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would like to amend the dates on my post by subtracting one week. The calendar in my billfold has very small numbers and I did not read them correctly.

Pat Ireland

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Target year should be January 1st to December 31st yearly!

Curt

10. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

zzt- Devious minds think alike. You took the thought right out of my noggin! I think that idea makes sense. (until I'm proven wrong.)

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

11. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Why not do away with the target year? Simply change the rule to read "targets shot over the previous 12 months." Doing this would allow one year from match to match without regard to when the match held.

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

While I just renewed my membership after a long absence and would probably not compete in Grand competition, consider a target year which does NOT include the current-year Grand American. Consider a target year beginning July 15 and ending July 14 (giving 2 weeks prior to the Grand for score receipt) with the results of the previous year used to determine Grand participation.

IMO, the Grand should kick off a target year target count. I would surmise that most participants try to do their best at the Grand and that would kick off a target year with "best" scores...

Only additional thoughts on the subject,

Jay

13. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

ZZT wrote "What problems Pat? Just asking, not trying to pick a fight. If the move back to September 1 is so important, why not just do it now."

People have planned around the a 14 month target year for the past 12 months. I know I'm scrambling to get in handicap targets now so I have my 1500 for the year. Spring and early summer was a waste, and I expected I'd have September and October. Now it's looking like I won't.

This whole target year change was a big cluster f@*k (and just re-enforces in my mind how inept the ATA is), and I don't know who the BOD talked to before they implemented this bright iead. I remember Neil's comments in a recent thread "We thought it was a good idea" and I can't help hear my father's voice saying "You thought.", dripping with sarcasm and scorn as I try to explain the thought behind a dumb decision I've made.

~Michael

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Slick13, with my proposal you have the 14 months. I said end the 2008 target year on Oct 31, as planned, but start the 2009 year on Sep 1. Scores logged in Sep and Oct count toward both years totals. Any reasons why not?

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is important to know in which year the targets were shot. But not as important as on which day of the week they were shot. HMB

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Would reducing the minimums required at the 2009 Grand be a bad thing? Some clubs are likely to forego shoots in Sept and Oct. My club might. I don't know. Alternate plans have already been made by many and a lot of them cannot be changed at a moment's notice.

With the rising costs of shooting, travel and lodging, reducing minimums might not be a bad idea regardless.

We can raise cain, point fingers and say how thoughtless folks are for making this policy, but a lot of folks go to the Grand to win, not to have fun. Shooting penalty class or yardage might keep some of them away next year. The Board saying "like it or lump it" is not going to work.

Right now, I understand the way folks feel about a Life Membership. I have been a Life Member for years, and am glad to not have to pay dues, but I understand folks not wanting to do this right now. I would not purchase a Life Membership at this time.

Hopefully the new Board and the Staff will do what is best for the members.

Demanding the members do what is best for the ATA is not the right approach. Folks are paying the ATA for services. The ATA is not paying members to come shoot. There ARE other things to do with our discretionary and entertainment funds.

Despite the fact that I live to shoot and train others to shoot, there are policies the ATA could decide that would permanently end my shooting registered targets.

17. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

cp:

Well if you have been paying A.T.A. dues for 20 years then im sure you would had paid for a life time membership by now.

Ok I think mine cost 150.00 back in the earl 1980's and then went up to 300.00 so 18.00 x @20.00 or might be more now but at 18.00 that would be $360.00 total for 20 years.

So it looks like you missd the boat plus you don't have to worry about the yearly thing sort of like Direct Deposit at work I love it especially when we are on shut down from work and I don't have to go and get my check because I have it in the bank 1 day earlier than the regular peole that gets a real check that they have to go and cash or deposit it.

Foghorn

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting Coach- You should never allow someone else, who might make a policy mistake, spoil your fun shooting registered targets.

I purchased my life ATA membership around 1975. My reason for this purchase was not to save money, but to support the ATA. In the long run, I suppose I did save some money with my $75 purchase.

Pat Ireland

19. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

According to WI delegate Jay Adams, the target year will be changed back next year. This year's end date is still 10/31, but the next year will run 11/01 to 8/31. So basically next year is a 10 month target year.

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Life is now good, so all the whiner's and n'er-do-well's can go about their daily routines without having their pantyhose all knotted up!!

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.