1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TARGET YEAR start date suggestion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by NintyT, Aug 27, 2013.

1. NintyT

NintyT Member

Since we are all thinking about the new target year approaching, I'd like to float this idea. Maybe someone that matters will take up the cause.

The new target year should start the day after the Grand American Hdcp. I believe the Grand should be the culmination of our shooting efforts. Win or lose, any targets shot the following day would be in preparation of the next Grand. MHO. Steve j

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Makes a lot of sense so probably won't happen! Tom Rhoads

3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I told you NintyT! Tom Rhoads

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I'm with 870 on this one. The target year start was messed with a few years ago and after great protest it was set back to where it is now. Leave it alone.

5. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I'm with 90T on this one.......Uncle Sam, Pa

6. running bear

running bear Member

Leave it alone.

7. Trap4

Trap4 Member

It is fine the way it is, do not need a change.

Trap-4

8. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Personally I think having a fixed date like Sept 1 is the best idea. How confusing would it be to some if the date always changed every year because the Grand doesn't always end on the same date.

There are a lot of shooters out there who never attend the Grand.. have no interest in it.. So instead of knowing their target count starts over on Sept 1.. they have to go looking to find out when the Grand ended.

Sorry.. that makes no sense to me

9. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I have not attended the grand yet, but when my finances allow I will. Even though I don't attend the grand I think the target year should end at the end of the day that the GAH is held. The only reason I think this is because of the attendance at the last two shoots I have been to. Both of these shoots were after the grand and attendance was not great. I think starting the new target year the day after the grand makes perfect sense.

10. NintyT

NintyT Member

FlaLagarto, your argument is like saying, "most trapshooters never shoot registered targets, so we should not bother holding ATA events". An organization should be structured and operated in a manner that encourages all members to participate fully, with goals and rewards for accomplishment.

11. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

NintyT

This statement.. "most trapshooters never shoot registered targets, so we should not bother holding ATA events".

Makes no sense at all.. without ATA events you would not have registered targets or a need to register them.

I stand by my statement above! Given the option of a changing date each year and a fixed date the same each year.. I'm betting the majority will go with the fixed date. (both clubs and shooters)

12. NintyT

NintyT Member

Only about 10 percent of all league and practice trapshooters become ATA members.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

29,000 members while 2,500 attend the Grand. It's a non-issue. Leave the date alone!!

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I fully agree with 90T. More shooters would participate to get their tragets in for the new year. Day after Grand starts new year. You don't need more targets for the past year. That's history!
    Clyde

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

January 1st.......

16. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I like the idea of changing the start date to the Sunday after the Grand which would have been the 18th this year.

The local clubs in our area who generally hold their registered shoot in the last two Sundays of the month have quit holding an August registered shoot.

As it is now we pretty much have two dead weekends around here after the Grand. If you get a lousy cold, wet, and late arriving spring like we had this year, those two weekends would have helped a lot of the shooters get their targets for the State shoots and the Grand.

17. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Target/membership year should be the same as the ATA fiscaL year. Would make accounting procedures a lot easier.
    Van

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

To expand on the Pat's post a bit, the ATA changed the target year to 1 October in 2007-2008 and people in the northern tier of states didn't like it. After a one-year trial, the BOD moved the date back to 1 September. This was the second time the 1 October date had failed to get member support, the first being in about 1995.

The fiscal year is properly 1 October since on the first of September there are still too many Grand-related unpaid bills, uncollected funds, and so on.

No one in the office ever told us that it was a problem that they start on different days, but changing them was a lot of work, since there are short and long target years and year-to-year comparisons are messed up, and there was some problem with getting states fully on the same page but I can't remember what right now.

Edit: Oh yes . . .special categories, no surprise. Sub-juniors (the ones with birthdays in the period 9/1 to 9/30 got another year of SJ, while Juniors felt mistreated by "losing" a year of Jr. Sounds like nothing? Don't believe it! Ask Wisconsin!!)

In other words, there is no reason to change; when it did change a segment of the membership didn't like it (though the others basically didn't care) and it involves more than just x-ing out one month and scrawling in another.

It's a bad idea with no useful purpose and a history of failure. Why even think about it?

Neil

19. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I recall the change to October 1 and it certainly was not good. We were left with a month and a half of targets that were not counted toward anything in the future year.

I guess Steve and I were clueless about the problems that it would cause to move the date forward a couple weeks. ATA Trapshooting is doing so well that attempting to change anything now would surely be a mistake.

Those two dead weeks after the Grand for all but Ohio probably are not so bad. Gives us a chance to pursue our other interests. Plus it is a busy time of year other than trapshooting, dove season coming up, first high school football games, kids heading back to school. A lot to strain the budget.

20. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Not starting the new target year right after the Grand is like playing the Super Bowl and still having regular season games left to play.