1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target Year change?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grnberetcj, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Has any information come forth as to the "Target Year" changing from September?

Curt - Delaware

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Now move the Grand to October.

3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Why the change ??? I agree that it makes it harder to get your targets in for the next year !!...........Uncle Sam

4. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

I like the idea of an October Grand...but...we lost many young shooters in the second week due to their schools starting. If we have the Grand in October we lose the benefit of the Scholastic program associated with the Grand. Guess we will just have to stay where we are or even make earlier?

Carry over of targets should be reconsidered in my opinion.
    CA

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The kids could still shoot in the summer if they wanted to. The kids don't shoot a lot of ATA targets anyway. My guess is that a lot of shooters would attend the Grand in October who now have to reserve August for "family" vacations and reunions. Now, Sparta needs to have at least 2-3 Grands with temps in the 80s to shake the memory of this year's heat. If it cooks again within that time frame it will never shake that reputation, just re-inforce it.

6. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Where will they get the help if the kids are in school?

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The real problem with this change is qualification for the state shoots. Most of these shoots are in May, June and July.

Some people will attempt to mix two independent questions. If minimum target requirements are necessary for accurate classification, they should be retained. If a minimum number of current targets are not required for classification, the minimum should be reduced or deleted regardless of when the new target year begins.

Pat Ireland

8. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Wasn't this tried once before with Oct 1 being the "New" target year?

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

In that the current classification system is so flawed anyway, reducing the minimums wouldn't make much difference.

10. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

If this change is a matter of the amount of work that comes with the Grand and the target years end so close together and by moving the target year to Nov 1st would make things work better in order to get average cards out to shooters, let me throw this senario out.

As it is now the target year ends in August. We usally see our average card around Nov 1. We have been told in the past that the problem is that clubs have been late getting scores in to the ATA office, therefore that holds things up. (plus they are just so busy in the office after the grand. Isn't the grand info on disk from "Bubba"?)

1. Will the clubs be any quicker about getting scores in by Nov.1 deadline?

2. Office and Staff go away during Thanksgiving weekend. Short work week?

3. Office and staff are gone for 2 weeks Christmas through New years holiday.

My prediction: you will see your average card around Feb. 1st

If it is a matter of the time and effort to get the info into the system what will change by changing the date? Hire temp help?

BTW. When do you think you will see your average book from T&F?

Scott

11. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

That change in the target year will really screw up the Texas Zone 5 and Lone Star hdcp.
    Bob Roberts

12. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

ljutic231,

I guarantee you the ATA couldn't care less about that if they were to actually make changes to their schedule.

Tim

13. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Target year changes can only affect one year. After that, all will normalize and the sky will not fall and the Republic will stand. State shoots such as Delaware have to look at target minimums and adjust if required. Late state shoots such as VA may not have to make any changes. Target minimums are really about enforcing participation in local shooting - they are not about preventing sandbagging. If we did not have them, lots of shooters would be club shooters only and would come out to compete at the bigger shoots.

I cannot see the GA later in the year cause you gotta hire help and not too easy to get kids to skip school.

Early state shoots will have to base classification on what happened last year. You cannot classify someone based on how they shot in March (around here anyway).

14. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Why all the concern now about changing the Grand dates. It has been held in
    August for years. The weather this year in Sparta was not normal. The average
    temps for Sparta is about 90. In 2006 we had a couple of hot days and then the
    rest of the shoot was really nice.

And stop and realize. Juniors and families are a big part of our sport. And for a lot of us Hunting Seasons are either starting or about to start.

If all you concerned shooters want to do something constructive. Work on cleaning up our handicap system. Need to eliminate silly score punches and use only placement. But who am I to complain?? - Jim

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"not too easy to get kids to skip school." LOL

16. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Sure lets move the Grand to October.... that would surely SCREW the 2nd biggest shoot in the USA, the Missouri Fall Handicap.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary Waalkes- I do disagree with your statement "Target minimums are really about enforcing participation in local shooting". If this is true, than they should be dropped. You also overlook new members who join in November. What are they to do? I also believe that we see increased interest in shooting in September/October because it is a new target year. That may pass.

My major complaint about this change is the reason it was done.

Pat Ireland

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It should be Jan. 1 to Dec. 31st period.

All self-corrects after the 1st year.

Keep the Sparta shoot in August. Only those shooter's that have won at their respective state and zone's may compete in the "Grand" handicap event...all others can shoot, but for their own prizes.

Curt

19. A23B

A23B TS Member

Pat you are right. If they are that over worked in Aug and Sept hire temps or work over time or give them comp time or something.

The small clubs are having a hard enough time without a two month dead time(why do I need to shoot these targets the grand is over).

A lot of clubs around here biggest shoot is Labor weekend , I can see this becoming smaller and smaller.

Again the ATA takes care of it self and disregrauds the members.

20. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

In Northern Illinois we don't have any/many ATA shoots in November, December, January, February, March and very Few in April. The weather is usually bad (cold, windy and snowy) <br>
    The state moved our Northern Zone shoot to September because it was too hard to get good weather in April and May to hold the zone shoot prior to the June state shoot. Then there was also the matter of trying to run 3 state zone shoots in the month of May without having them run against each other. Some of the clubs started having shoots in September and October to get targets for the NEW target year. Downers Grove has the Grundy County Fall Handicap and then there is the Grand Chicago Handicap in September. The weather in Sept and Oct are usually decent enough to get in 300-500 targets in each discipline prior to winter and then all you need to get would be 500 targets in May, June and July to make the 1000 for the Grand. <br>
    This year we had a spring with lousy weather and it was hard to get enough targets prior to the grand. What shooters would want to shoot at targets that DON"T count toward Grand Target requirements OR State Shoot Requirements after the grand is over?????????<br>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.