1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target vs Field gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vmthtr in green bay, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

Been shooting trap for 20 years or so. Never a great shooter but a 21 average. I stepped up from a field 11-87 to a BT 99 and scores are crap. 12's and a best of 21. Average is now a 16. Have patterend gun and it shoots high, but having trouble relearning my hold under bird.

Mike

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The 1187 with a field stock is very flat shooting, with about a 50/50 pattern. In practical terms on a straight going away bird from post 3, you had to run it over with the muzzle before firing.

Now you've gone to a BT-99 with a trap stock. Your pattern has risen. I don't know exactly how much, but it probably is in the 60/40 to 70/30 range if it is a standard model. This means on a straight going away bird from post 3, you'll need to float the bird before firing.

I suggest going to the club when few are there, and ask management to lock a trap down for you so it throws only straight away birds. Then stay on post 3 and figure out your hold.

A pattern board can also help.

Do not shoot your 1187 in the meantime. It will confuse you.

Once you figure out your new gun, you can install a trap stock on your 1187. That will bring the pattern to a 60/40. There are two factory trap stocks - monte carlo and straight comb. The comb is at the same exact height on both. The difference is the monte carlo butt drops down. It works best for those with long necks. The straight comb stock works best for those with short necks. Either stock can have adjustable comb hardware installed. Or you can get a Jack West synthetic stock and it has an adjustable comb built in. Also, Remington has monte carlo slug gun stocks. They are almost identical to the monte carlo trap stock, but about half the price. The purpose here is to match your 1187 to your trap gun. I set all of my 1187s up with monte carlo stocks, including my camo models, so they'd match my trap 1187 and 1100.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Go to the patterning board, shoot 5 shots with your 1187 from 13 yards, and shoot 5 shoots with the BT99. Compare the two patterns and you will know what the problem is. Then you can figure out what to do. HMB

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Two guns with completely different handling characteristics.

Two guns with most likely inches difference in POI.

Now you will be able to shoot the BT as good, if not better than the 1187 but there is a learning curve and most likely more than changing from one trap gun to another because of the above differences.

What you need to do now is confirm your comittment to want to improve with this game and work with the new gun. It may take changes (an adjustable stock most notiable) to acheive the results. This is all provided the gun actually shoots straight, left to right. I would check this most definetly when at the pattern board, especially if its a tubed gun.

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Mike if you are not sure what these two gentlemen are talking about read the information in the above link. Neil is a respectable member here and knows what he is talking about when it comes to patterning a shotgun.

Bryan

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

No doubt the BT is going to shoot higher than the field gun you started with. That is a feature most trapshooters like because they generally shoot rising targets and they want to be able to see the target when they fire. (not cover it up with the barrel)

What you want to end up with is a gun that shoots where you look and where you look should be the target. I have heard that some BTs are extremely high shooting and actually need rib mods to get them in to the range of being useful. Like other guys have said put it on paper to get an idea where the pattern is going.

If you have a low shooting gun the fix is pretty simple - get an adjustable comb and raise it up to raise your POI. If the gun shoots way high the adjustment is more difficult and usually involves barrel/rib work and if that is the case you may be money ahead starting over with a different gun.

7. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I have the exact opposite problem,I've been shooting a BT99 for 25 yrs and cant hit anything with my 1100 or 870 trap! Practice is the only way to overcome it,all of the above advice is correct ,shoot a lot and the nshoot more ! good luck-Mike

8. vmthtr in green bay

Gun shoots high. 70/30 or more. Went out today and found Halfmile at the club and asked for some pointers. He came out and watched, corrected some of my mistakes and I feel I have made some good progress towards shooting better with this gun. Thanks a lot Auggie/Halfmile.

Mike

9. vmthtr in green bay

Have my average at 22 now. Have to really smash my face down on the stock. No figure 8 with beads, back one covers front.

10. racer

racer TS Member

Did someone work the comb lower? Is it a used gun? Dan

11. vmthtr in green bay

Standard gun. Wish it was lower

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The alternative to lowering the comb is the raise the rib. You could try taping on some black painted balsawood until you find a rib height you like. Then check out the custom rib links here.

13. racer

racer TS Member

I wouldn't worry about it shooting a little high. What you describe isn't very high now days. And remember- very few misses are over the top of a target. Have fun, Dan

Ps- you may know me, my picture is on the wall in your club!

14. vmthtr in green bay

The welding supplies Dan?

15. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Some of the BT99's shot very high. I purchased one last year (late 70's model) and it shot 90% high, and I moved onto a flatter shooting trap gun that I like much better. Folks here can tell you which years are the high shooting models.

16. vmthtr in green bay

The welding supplies Dan?

17. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Some of the BT99's shot very high. I purchased one last year (late 70's model) and it shot 90% high, and I moved onto a flatter shooting trap gun that I like much better. Folks here can tell you which years are the high shooting models.

18. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

19. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap gun vs field gun