1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target Speed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FNG, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

At a couple recent shoots I saw the target setters using a radar gun to check target speed out of the house. I'm guessing that if the targets fall somewhere
    around 50 yds., and the speed out of the house is correct, then the angle
    (n feet above the ground, x feet from the house) would have to be correct. If all this is true, what is the speed they're looking for ? Assuming a standard day at sea level.

Thanks

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Never assume anything, It will lead you astray. I don't know what speed they were looking for, I know what speed I would've set.

Jim

3. FNG

FNG Member

Thanks Wally; great explanation. Based on your last sentence I conclude that they still have to use the rectangle on the pole to get the angle correct regardless of whether they use the radar gun or distance.

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yes or you can get the angle index that you place on the throwing plate and set the angle which I believe is 21 degrees. Some one will correct me if Im wrong.

5. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I use a Sears 10" digital level for setting the angle. Once you start using this target setting tool, you probably won't set targets without one again. In calm to mild winds, the consistency attained is amazing. In medium and higher winds, it's a valuable reference point. This is pertaining to Pat traps.

I'll paste the excellent suggestions from Bob Schultz;

"IF your Pat Trap is located in the house properly. Meaning that when the target on the arm is at rest, with the machine cocked, it is at the same level as the top of the pad on post three...then a target launched at 21.2 to 21.5 degrees will be very close to 9.5 feet high at the 10 yard distance. Each full degree on the angle finder represents 6.2 inches of elevation change and each tenth of a degree ( measured with the Digital Angle finder) is 5/8 or .62 inches. This seems close enough for me.

Knowing this, if you are setting targets on a bad day with windy conditions you can set the targets to the standard setting THEN make minor corrections to adjust for the prevailing conditions. However, you would be amazed at how little of an adjustment is necessary from your standard target to obtain shootable targets.

The point being, on a good day you can set very consistent targets field to field and shooters will be happy. On a bad day you can adjust from a known standard on each field and throw very consistent targets and shooters will be happy. Last time I checked we do this for fun. Most shooters like to shoot good targets and good scores. If you want to have shooters return to your club, make an effort to set the best targets you can. They will appreciate the effort and come back for more."

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Paladin,

Where do you place the digital level on the PAT machine?

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Set the angle finder on the plate the target rests on. Jake

8. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

What is the angle for setting doubles on a PAT trap? I picked up a Craftsman digital level on sale today for $25. Sale is on through the 7th. I'm going to try it out tomorrow. Thanks, Mark

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

After multiple attempts and an exhaustive use of the search function, I found that someone mentioned 24 degrees. I also got an e-mail back from Bob Schultz and he suggested 23 degrees. I will try this and see how they look. We don't have a radar gun, and have been setting targets by letting the old dogs do it by sight. This gets old as it's first a little higher, then a little lower, a little faster, then a little slower, etc. until somebody likes them, and it wastes a lot of targets. We have 50 yard stakes on flat ground and I am planning on setting the angle at 21 degrees and throwing birds to the 50 yard stake for singles. I'll change the angle to 23-24 degrees, change the PAT trap per instructions and throw doubles. It should be more efficiant, especially on our wobble trap. At least it gets me a better starting point for people to argue about. Mark

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We throw targets off a 100' embankment so using the 50 yard marker isn't an option. Instead, we use the chronograph and protractor approach. 22 Degrees elevation and 65 Ft/s measured 2 ft from the pat trap is the starting point. The challenge of throwing off the north facing embankment is that we usually get wind from the north and the targets get quite a bit of lift from the wind coming up the slope. Periodic elevation adjustments are necessary as the afternoon winds come in.

11. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

timb99,,set it on top of the throwing plate as j2jake said. It fits neatly between the throwing plate and the target turret plate.

Mark,,depending upon the wind, we use about 24 degrees. (Be sure the level is exactly at 90 degrees from the face of the plate) With a 38.5 to 39 MPH right hand target, there is enough elevation, and they stay there in the kill zone nicely. Many "eyeball" setters set doubles targets soft on speed, and compensate for lack of height by raising the angle. That's a recipe for very erratic, harder to hit targets. These have a steeper angle of presentation, get buffeted around by the wind more, and don't stay in the kill zone very long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap target speed