1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target Speed Requirements

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by miketmx, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The angle spread was officially reduced after 96 even though many clubs were cheating with the rules before then. The speed of the target is approximately the same as before and you can use a 50 yard distance marker on a calm day or optionally a radar gun to measure the speed. These are in the Rule Book.

2. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I believe the speed off the trap arm is 45. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    first reading out of the house......from the 16 yard line is 42 min. In all reality you can fly them as fast as you want.

Rick in MT

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Rick,

The rule was changed a couple of years ago.

For singles targets it's 42 - 43 mph. Inside the house it's 44 - 45 mph.

And the right-hand doubles target is 39 - 40 mph. Inside the house it's 41 - 42 mph.

4. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Pretty soon they will be asked to set them standing on edge and shoot them off the roof of the trap house. Wild Bill

5. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

I don't believe the spec has changed just an additional method for measuring/setting. The 42/43 mph is the speed expected when using the 50yd stake with flat land and calm winds.

Regards

W&W

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

For a few years, there was no maximum speed specified.

So singles targets were "a minimum of 42 mph," and doubles were "a minimum of 39 mph" on the right-hand target.

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Didn't it used to be "whatever it takes to hit the stake" along with "whatever hole they left it in after the derby last week" with "elevation set to make it easy for Ol' Ben to reach the arm on the old Winchester" with a dash of "it's either a hangover or that smoke comin' out of the traphouse isn't tobacco" with a light wisp of "Led Zeppelin wafting out of the bunker" to variable trap releases by "someone who has barely mastered subtraction and most of the time doesn't know what 25 minus 8 is". ;-)

Yessir, we are all a bunch of sissies. Who wants to turn the clock back?

Bob Falfa

8. IMGRV

IMGRV TS Member

In all seriousness, I thought that the target had to land between 48 & 52 yards from the trap - hence the 50 yard stake for a "middle-of-the-road" goal to try for. So the speed is whatever it takes on any given day, at any given location, in any given conditions to meet this requirement. Is this not correct? Gino

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Bunker Trap has a distance requirement but ATA Trap rules say level ground on a calm day or speed measured by a radar gun.

10. IMGRV

IMGRV TS Member

Everything you want to know is on pages 47 to 49 of the latest ATA rule book at the above location. My copy which is dated 2004, does not allow for setting targets by speed. It should be noted though, that the info in the rule book conflicts with the info on the ATA's web site "General Information" page at this URL: http://www.shootata.com/Content/General_Info/Trapshooting_Overview.aspx This is exactly the info I was taught in 2004 when I first started shooting. Gino

11. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The online Rule Book governs.

It doesn't matter what any other source says.

12. 870

870 Well-Known Member

IMGRV:

As explained earlier the rulebook provides for BOTH setting by speed or setting by distance. This includes the rulebook you provided a link to. I don't understand why you provided a link to a current rulebook but then confuse the matter by referring to an outdated copy from 2004?

That linked rulebook is now "your" copy.

13. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

On a dead calm day, we know that it takes 42 mph to throw a target 50 yds..
    That's from behind the trap-house..

On ATA day there could be a 20 mph headwind, but we will still throw that target 42 mph. and not care how short it lands, it's coming out at the right speed.We will of coarse adjust for height and windage.

You will still get shooters complaining that the target isn't going to the stake in a 30 mph head-wind.

14. IMGRV

IMGRV TS Member

870:
    I was only trying to clarify my first posting which I read on the General Information page of the ATA web site, and note that all I had was the 2004 book "in hand", and that I realized it was outdated. Sorry if it wasn't that clear - I was just actually trying to help the original poster which I note not everyone does. I also just learned as "country blues" stated that the angles have been decreased - I was taught 22 degrees on each side of the center line and now it's 17 deg. +/- or whatever. I wonder why any of these things are even changed to begin with? I wish I could learn the real reasons - not someone's idea of maybe why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.