1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target Shooting Passion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

With respect to Clay Target shooting, what is your passion about the sport?? It is the travel, interesting people, competition, the wood on your gun, the facts behind your reloads, the mechanics of your shotgun. For me it is the reloads, and how the shot performs. I am not mechanically inclined, but I like nicely figured wood. How about you??

2. Vernal Rod & Gun

Vernal Rod & Gun Active Member

This could be a very insightful thread. I hope you get more comments. For me, my love of trapshooting has three parts . In no particular order, the great people we meet, the competition( this is a sport, contrary to some ) and our sports' history.

Thanks for the thread
    Sean Hawley

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Truer words were never spoken Sean Trapshooting is a SPORT. First for me is the challange. Second would be the friends that I get to share that sport with and third where else can you go and see so many just plain beautiful shotguns being used instead of behind glass.

--- Chip King ---

4. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I should comment that the people that I have met comes first, reloads second and the nice wood that I see being used.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

There's not much about trapshooting, particularly competition shooting, that I don't like. For me the people are the best part.

When I was working and traveling by car all the time, I would choose to stay the night in towns where there were trap clubs. Visiting all those clubs through the years made me feel like I was among friends and safe.

Can't beat trap club chili either.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Addiction

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Old Cowboy labeled it right. It is an addiction! You can point at the people, the equipment or any or all parts of your game but it is an addiction.
    We have people that show up just to drink coffee and BS with others. There are some that strive to perfection and others that just shoot to empty hulls so they can be reloaded. Whichever group you should belong with, enjoy the game!

Big Jack

8. Vernal Rod & Gun

Vernal Rod & Gun Active Member

It's so nice to read a thread about the great things we love about our sport instead of a bunch ugly negative crap.

Another thing I love about going to trapshoots are sampling the great eats and enjoying the shared stories at the evening bbqs.

Sean

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Most shooters seem to be good people. Their helpful and enjoy the same things. (god, country, pretty women, and shooting guns.)

Besides the politics of shooting organizations most of us share the same political views.

Oh yea it's always fun when you win or just post a good score.

Breaking targets is fun!

Joe

10. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Active Member

When I first started shooting registered in the 70's my mentor at the time told me; Always remember that trapshooting is a GAME and games are meant to be FUN. If that changes go take up golf.

I can honestly say that I have a good time with whatever facet of the game I am doing at that moment,either shooting, eating or just b.s.ing with the other shooters.

My worst day of shooting was still better than my best day at work.

I love the sound of gunfire in the evening's. Especially if I am involved.

Ken Brandt

11. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Its the feeling I get when I smoke a pair of doubles, or get smoke on a hard right 27yd. Its like "Damn that feels good", it is the thrill I guess. Friendly people and then the competition.

CM

12. TEXASBEN

TEXASBEN Member

When I first started(1968 nor-reg) it was all about the score in a very short time ,about one week it was just having fun and being around people who has a common intrest.

The last 21 years it was ALL about the people,such a great group of people. Just doing something together and having good times. Come on down Texas way sometime!

Ben Dobson
    TexasBen

13. The Stive

The Stive Member

I love shooting clay targets. I really like the competition at registered
    shoots. I like meeting and talking to others that enjoy the sport. I love
    hollering pull and watching that little orange thing explode. John

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When I started shooting trap in New Albany Ohio At Frank Banish's gun club across the road from his bar, we shot buddy's every Friday Night and every Sunday.

Some good Registered Trapshooters came and quite frankly did not win many buddy shoots, but invited me and my buddy and we took up Registered Trapshooting, met a lot of real nice people, and very sociable, and we all had someting in common, TRAPSHOOTING and shells were $35.00 per 500 Case.

We had a large group and we went to numerous shoots, and enjoyed the companionship, and watching the great shooters of the time.

Those were the days, if the TARGET came out we shot it.

We traveled and shot calcuttas all over the state.

Such good memories, never a cross word from anybody, and from on here we get some doosies.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

TRAPSHOOTING

LOVE IT

LIVE IT

SHOOT IT

15. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I like shooting clay targets because it is a Dynamic sport. I would get bored to death punching holes in stationary paper targets. I like the competition and the technical aspects of the equipment and shooting. I am sure there are nice people in all sports but most trap shooters always seem eager to help and befriend new shooters. Trap shooting is the most addictive sport I ever tried...SMOKIT

16. RHAT

RHAT Member

I agree with TEXASBEN ...a great shooter and good person
    Rich H

17. Clay Target SSE

Clay Target SSE Active Member

Because of this SPORT I have been to all corners of the Good Ol' USA and seen every major Club. I have also maintained a reasonable living and I love the smell of Federal Papers. What more is there.

Jim Poublon
    Clay Target Shooting Shirts

18. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

The People And The Smell Of Gunpowder!!!!As Sean said Trap stories & Good Food, Good Targets And And the BEST People Anywhere. I know i am only competing with myself and MOST of the time that is a "Challenge". I Really enjoy Meeting & Visiting with People From So Many different "Walks" of Life. You may be shooting next to A CEO of A Major Co. or a "Millionaire" But, On the Line we are all the same!!!!It is a GOOD feeling to sit and Watch Shooters Like Sean Hawley And others "Smoke" those Targets. NOT to be Crude but, at 68yrs old I still Get That "Tingle" down there When it Is A "SMOKER". Joe Whitehurst joe90t

19. LFT687

LFT687 Member

I think the number one thing about trapshooting for me is the camaraderie. Inviting someone new to shoot with a squad or being asked to join a new group of shooters is something that sets our sport apart from others. I've rarely met a shooter that I haven't learned something from or shared a bit of info with.

20. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

a lot of things--hence the sign on name "love the sport"

but the top three are

1: smoking targets

2: spending time with my kids at the gun club and watching my son smoke targets

3: meeting some damn fine/classy people and watch them smoke targets

love the sport

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.