1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by widomaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I was shooting at the Eastern Zone shoot last weekend while shooting the 200 target event I thought I saw 2 targets with the center or top of the target gone. You could see daylight through them. The shooters broke both of them and I was wondering is that possible ? I mean did I imagine it or were they really no centers ? There were no visible pieces to see so it wasn't a no target. If it is possible where did the tops of the targets go ? and would that make the target fly faster with less weight ?

Thanks

Martin

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Yes it's possible and they should have been ruled "no target" and re-shot.

Jim

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What Jim101 said.

Also, a target in this condition has poor aerodynamics. In my experience, they tend to come out and drop like a dying quail.

4. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Well they didn't drop maybe because of the wind both were broken by the shooters but if there are no pieces flying out where the hell did they go ? And as for no target I had no idea and I guess neither did anyone else, or I was the only one watching. Thanks for the info I had never seen anything like that before.

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Widowmaker:

They were punched out by the trap help when loading the machines. I saw some also.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

widomaker Jim101 is correct they should be ruled a No Target. Years ago when we had young people and sometimes not so young people in the trap houses loading the machines they would get bored and punch the center of the targets out and give everyone fits. It certainly made the game interesting.

A lot of targets come in form shipping with centers broken out. When loading the targets in to the racks on automatic traps. Unless you put them in one at a time you would not know they were there.

Bob Lawless

7. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Well I'm really glad 870 saw some also. I thought I was crazy seeing the tree line through a hole in the target. 870 where you were shooting did they call them no target ?? or just shoot em and lets roll like where I was ?

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Don't want to make it sound like I saw many, but more than one. Didn't notice any when shooting, only when watching other squads. I don't think anyone shooting at the ones I saw even noticed it. They weren't flying that differently and probably were shot before the flight differences became noticeable.

I guess it's possible the trap kids didn't punch the centers out, but it sure seems most likely to me.

It would be a no target if the squad realized it, but I'd guess many shooters wouldn't even notice it.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is not unusual to see a few targets with the center missing. They are broken targets and should be shot over. I believe, and this is based only on my much less than perfect memory, that such targets are a little more common now with Pat Traps than when targets were loaded one at a time on the old Western traps.

I do know, first hand, that when targets are loaded one at a time on a trap, the trap boy can knock out a center of a target. I was very good at doing that years ago.

Pat Ireland

10. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Thanks guys. I think I was on bank 4 or 5 for the 200 target event on Saturday. They didn't fly crazy or anything like that so I most likely was the only one on the squad that noticed it. Nobody re shot them or a no target called I guess because I didn't say anything and even if I did I was afraid that sombody would think I was nuts. Center out of the target yeah right !!!.

Again thanks for the info and see you at Westy's or the NE Grand good shooting .

11. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

I have been seeing a lot of White Flyers with no paint on the center. While removing the targets from the box the ones with no paint on the centers fall away from the stack. They look like they have no center when they're thrown but they fly correctly and most of the shooters shoot at them. White Flyer must be really busy and running targets as fast as they can.

Jere Cossaboom

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Rebsmith you said "While removing the targets from the box the ones with no paint on the centers fall away from the stack. They look like they have no center when they're thrown but they fly correctly and most of the shooters shoot at them." Be that as it may, and please don't take this the wrong way. The rulebook says under the No Target rule.

"9. When a target whose color is markedly different from that of the
    others is thrown, and the contestant does not fire. If the contestant
    fires, the result must be scored."

I feel that targets with black centers meet the criteria of this section of the rule and should be rules a No Target at least for ATA shoots. The club can throw them for their practice program with out a problem.

Bob Lawless

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

The rule cited by Bob is correct for a target lacking paint in the center. But, if the center is missing, it should be a no target regardless of what the shooter does.

A problem arises when trying to distinguish between a target with a black center and a target with no center. Both would look the same. For the first part of the target flight, both will fly the same.

Pat Ireland

14. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

i was at the same shoot, was told that some of the trap help was caught using a black magic marker on the target centers. milt luther

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.