1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

target question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rifal, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rifal

rifal Member

New shooter would like some advice. What are you looking at when you crush a target? Are you looking at the lip,the edge or leaving a space under the target. Some have told me that they pull the trigger as the bird passes the barrel. Your eyes cant focus on two objects,either you looking at the target or looking at your barrel but not both. Your thoughts.

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Look at the bird!!!

If you focus on your barrel, you'll miss breaking the bird.

Focusing on the barrel is called bead checking. When you do that, you can kiss that bird off of your kill list.

If you focus on the bird, your barrel will automatically go to the bird and you will break it.

Hauxfan!

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If your Ted Williams, focus on a spot on the lead edge of the bird.

If your not, just focus on the bird in general and don't dawdle!!

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I just try to focus on the target.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I have a terrible bead check problem... and I can tell you the truth, that if you see that bead when you pull the trigger it's a missed target.

6. bmstevens

bmstevens TS Member

I also had a terrible time with the bead check gig. What worked for me is reading everything possible on this forum. Anyhow. Removed both beads on my gun and scores improved instantly. Am not the best shooter around but I'm going in the right direction now. Brian

7. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

Look at the bird. An instructor told me once that if you can point your finger you can point a gun. Try it some time. Look at an object with your eyes. Bring your finger up to "aim" at what you were looking at. Now move your eyes (not your hand) then bring your finger to the new "target". Your hand eye coordination will bring your finger to where your eyes are looking.
    Use the same concept with the gun. As the bird comes out of the house, focus on it and then point at the bird with your left hand. Should bring the gun right to the bird. For me when I do that I crush the bird. If I don't really focus on the bird i usually have a weak break or loss.

8. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Haux,

I can name at least one top shooter who never takes his eye off the bead.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

As a new shooter I can give you no better advice than flat out aim. Learn where the gun is pointed to hit a bird, learn where pointing the gun misses the bird. That's the only way your "automatic" system (if it ever comes to life, or needs to) will ever learn what's going on.

Find out where you gun shoots, That's at the link above. You have to do that. If you are half-way serious, you shouldn't even shoot your next target before finding out where your gun shoots. Really. If there is something you should know, every shot until you learn that is wasted, from a learning point of view.

If it shoots (that is, puts its shot) well above where you are aiming, you will have to shoot under the bird to break it.

If it shoots about where you are aiming, you can just shoot at the bird, leading it as necessary but you only need that for the angles on one and 5.

If it shoots under where you are aiming you have to correct that.

That's all there is to it. The rest is practice.

Neil

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Flagarto, I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule.

Perchance a one eyed shooter?

But I doubt it would work for most of us.

Just for curiosity's sake, how about sending me a PM with that info?

Thanks!

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.