1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target Presentations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

With a Pat Trap--how can we show more 'Face" of the target during flight??As it is now the target shows little color and more of the black rim.The target appears as an "eye slit". Frustrating!!!!!!!!!

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

raise the elevation and it'll show more "face"

3. claybuster60

claybuster60 TS Member

Why not throw all "orange" targets? Don't have a black rim.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It would be much better for scores if we could throw targets with ALL face showing thrown to 48 or so yards, less would be easier. As if less angle wasn't enough to make target presentations easier, we now figure out how to make the targets bigger also! Maybe round clay balls at 4-1/4 inches in diameter would increase scores also?

More target face was a favorite of target managers for helping shooters attain their grand slams. What's next on the target manipulating agenda for even better scores?

Our rule says legal height targets are between 8-10 feet high at 10 yards from the trap. Monkeyed with more face clays are usually much higher than the rule allows and shorter also? A short while back I shot some 16 foot high targets and so did everyone else and that's a shame to our rule book. A high score on fixed targets today can't be compared to the shooters scores of old! We're skewing our shooting history again and that just isn't right!

Gene Hapney

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Hey, .....the guy didn't want a LEGAL target, he just wanted more "face". lol

6. Hap MecTweaks

LOL@OldCowboy

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I get a real kick out of these "more face" presentations. There is no magic, it is simply a matter of raising or lowering the launch angle, period. If you are putting more face on a target from a given trap you are increasing it's height at the stake, all other things being equal.

Want more face, that means you want a higher target. If you are really having a problem, maybe your trap is setting too hign in the house.

8. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Let me see if I understand you-Hap-Mec-Tweaks--The Silver Dollar,Sparta as well as the Cardinal Center throw targets that are not correct because their presentations show more target face than I can achieve. And furthermore the good target presentations are achieved by raising the "height"? (870)--Well not according to the people at Pat Trap.Before you mouth off here when you know not what you are talking about do some inquiring to get the real answers as I did today by making some phone calls to those that really know how to set angles and target heights accordingly.--Dennis Mastrolia.

9. DENNISMASTROLIA1

And for "Old Cowboy"-I did want a "legal" target presentation. Did the Cowboy fall off of the horse and hit the head??

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Dennis, Your answers are above. Now it sounds as though you have spoken with PAT to see what they recommend for the machine height. To get more face, it's raise the target or lower the trap. Not all machines require the same height in the house. As I recall we had to cut our bases for the two PAT's. For the Star's it was just removing the old 2x12 plank that were under the handsets. As you know from your other club, 9'-3" to 9'-6" throws a decent target.

Also your black rimmed taget appears different and takes a little getting used to.

If you've become that active down there then we hope to get some time up here this Summer. :)

Enjoy, the snow is going to be a long time leaving this year. Bob

Edit--BTW--Thank you for the laughs-this thread has potential.

11. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Dennis:

It is simple physics. More face can only result from a higher target. Period. You can only accomplish this by raising the launch angle. If you want to fool youself, you can put your trap lower and raise the height so it hits the same height spot as before at 10 yards, but you are still throwing a higher target. I do not believe that trap machines can vary the angle of attack of the target.

If other clubs are getting more face on a target at 10 yards than you can achieve, the problem is most likely with the placement of the trap in the house.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Dennis, I too have shot targets at two of the clubs you mentioned also. Sparta and the Cardinal. The targets at Sparta were higher than the Cardinal last August when I shot those clubs. Any targets set higher than the 10 foot limit(according to our rule book) is beyond the bounds of the rule? I don't care who says different either.

This target height matter is no different than than the cheating that took place to change the rule to an easier angle a few years back, hardly anyone tried to enforce that rule either? When we change the geometry of launch for more face, how do we keep the targets at legal heights in accordance to what the rules say? Your club probably uses or used the target pole for elevation and can't get the kind of target presentations offered at other clubs? I do speak my mind and when I feel our sport is being cheated by any method or anybody and will continue till proven wrong! That hasn't been done with a call to Pat Traps either.

Hap

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Even Tron'ster couldn't cast for these results. I thought there was potential here. I don't want to remind you about the radar gun Dennis, you know I'm a believer in them--Ahhh, if it's a good one--used properly? ;) Bob

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check the height of the trap machine and see if can be lowered as much as the rules allow. Next get rid of the black rimmed targets. HMB

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Dennis,

Assuming your Pat Trap is mounted at the correct height inside the house the only way you can set it to show more "face" is to raise the elevation. Then in order to throw the target at between 8' & 10' ten yards out from point "B" is to back off the spring. Either way you're no longer throwing a LEGAL target, you'll either be too high or too slow or both.

Maybe your Pat Trap is mounted too high in the house?

In the interests of civility I'll disregard your comment about "falling off the horse".

John C. Saubak

16. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

If you think that making the targets more difficult will cause todays winners to miss as many as you do, you are WRONG.

jim brown

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"it would reduce the cost of targets for shooters and clubs, cause fewer 100's, be cheaper than adding 3 feet of concrete to quiet the calls for leveling the playing field and the call for limiting shells to 7/8 and 1 OZ loads."

Respectfully not one word of this quote has anything to do with target presentation.

Bob Lawless

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Claybuster said the solution! Throw all orange targets, rim and all. They look like orange watermelons rotating through the air. Plus when the sun is setting, or when under the lights, you see much more target. These also should be used when the background is not open sky. If you are trying to expose more surface of the target, that is not legal. Then you may as well throw hollow round clay balls out there.

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Height of the target at 20 yards is suppose to be 15', at 31 yards it's suppose to be 17'-4", which is also max height.

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

You do as you damn well please if however you are entitled to give your opinion which is off subject. So am I don't start an argument over a comment which was my opinion.

OH that right I forgot I am not supposed to give my opinion everyone else can just not me. Right Rick?

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.