1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

'Target Mgt', 'Hidden' Agendas', MN StateTeam &c.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Being none: a resident of the fine state of Minnesota, a shooter with any interest in any honorary team of any variety, anywhere, nor a member or visitor of BGC (either in general or specific) ... I'm not wearing much of a bikini to this-here mud wrassling who-hah ...

That said, I have an acute, abiding and geographically universal interest in the overall health and well-being of clay-target sports, and this surprise rump agenda State Team takeover-attempt is: interesting, enlighting and, perhaps even instructive in how a dedicated, motivated, quiet minority can sneak substantive changes in an erstwhile representative organisation (or government, too, but I digess).

Reading between the lines, it appears this is a not-very-veiled attack on BGC (and similar small, popular, clubs who throw a lot of <i>UNQUESTIONABLY LEGAL</i> targets ... perhaps costing Del Tone and some similar clubs some $$$$ who don't like to throw marathons.

A couple of ponderable issues come to my mind:

* 'Target Management' is a just a simple fact of life; when there are clear & unambiguous rules how average and yardage is calculated, there are fully legal ways to make them work in your favour. Whether 'Target Management' is 'moral' or 'ethical' is a complete other dilemma, and is personal to the viewer.

* IF - as was both indicated and hinted - the MN State Team is strongly weighted for 'High Average.' Is that, itself, a good way to select an honorary team? Is 'High Average' at 'sanctioned' shoots an improvement? To whom?

* I may be a little to cynical (or 'experienced in the ways of the world' if you wish), but it sure seems to me that all MN shooters should ask themselves if that old Italian truism: <i>Qui Bono</i> (follow the money) might be trumping the interest of shooters-as-a-whole, and/or expansion of the sport, rather than re-directing revenue streams.

Just some musings on the Happy Friday ...

Bob

2. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I know nothing of politics, state teams, or tactics.

What I do know is that a club that throws me a hundred targets for $20 and greets me by name the second time I show up is a place I want to go back to.
    For $23 bucks a hundred, I can even look up on line to see how my average is going.

I can have a pizza and beer on the way home with those target prices. What's not to like? I guess I am too new of a shooter or a simpleton to appreciate all the rest of this, cause it is all just noise to me now.

Perhaps the longer I do this the less fun I will have?

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Oh man, doggai, that's too much to think about! Will it be OK if I just decide it's Sonny and Cher's pet dove and move on?

Neil

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Marathon birds are a big part of the secret rump proposal's angst.

I can see MTA (officially) being a bit ambivalent about them, due to per day fees being less.

For (part of) the more serious charge ... <wink> cheating <wink, wink> by self-reporting at marathon shoots... Is that a <i>serious</i> accusation that has SOME basis, or is it more imagination, projection, jealousy & sour grapes?

For the other part of the slam against marathons, that you can fatten your average by picking your day, weather, ... I can see that - in theory, anyhow - but how popular is that reason for shooting marathons vis-a-vis liking to shoot a bunch in one day. If you're a C shooter, it takes a BUNCH of 100s to get your average up.

Am I missing some 'truth' somewhere, or is it more myth?

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.