1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

target loads below the speed of sound?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Any one do any pattern testing on shotshells loaded at below speed of sound 1125fps or less? and how they compare to 1145 1200 1290 ect ect? The 22 shooters argue this point at sunday club breakfast alot? Does it apply to shotshell and pellets being affected buy the turbalance

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Short answer, Yes.

Jim

3. 100straight

100straight Member

I shoot a reload version of Winchester's Feather Lite shell. 15/16 ounce of shot at about 980fps. It smokes targets amazingly well.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Low speed shells maintain their speed better than high speed shells. Less wind resistance. Sub sonic patterns are better because they avoid the turbulence encountered when breaking the sound barrier. HMB

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I used to load 7/8oz of West Coast 7 1/2 shot with 14.7gr of Red Dot. Definitely subsonic. Patterned at 97% @ 40 yards with my full choke. I've never gotten any 1150fps load to average better than 86% @ 40yards, and usually it is less.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I thought Mach 1 was @600 mph?! Even 1000 fps is 681 mph - so how is that slower than the speed of sound?!

Jay

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

hmb- It is true that low velocity shot does not lose speed as fast as high velocity shot, but the high velocity always retains more ft/sec than low velocity shot.

zzt - 97% at 40 yards, that would astonish me.

My limited experience with sub-sonic loads has been less than satisfactory.

Pat Ireland

8. tachyon

tachyon Member

The speed of sound on earth is about 343 m/s (1129 ft/s or 770 miles per hour).
    The speed depends on temperature and a little bit on pressure and humidity.

For most elementary physics lab purposes the speed can be approximated by the equation:

V = 331 + (0.6)T

Where T is the temperature in Celsius and V is the velocity in meters per second.

9. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

A friend of mine who is just starting to shoot trap, attended a 3 day shoot recently. It was very windy 30-35 MPH plus for the entire 3 day event. On the first trap his score was 6. After we finished the first trap I asked him what was wrong because I had never seen him shoot such a low score. I looked at his shells and he was using Winchester AA Low Noise, Low recoil shells.

I gave him a box of my shells which are 1 oz. of 8's loaded to about 1200 f.p.s. He shot a 18 on the next trap and for the rest of the 3 day tournament he used my shells and his scores Handicap and singles were from 18-22.

If I had not witnessed it I would not have believed those lite shells would have made such a difference. The wind must have played a big factor in their performance.

Jerry Walker

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Another easy formula to calculate speed of sound in feet per second is;

the speed of sound equals approximately 49 times the square root of the temperature (in Rankine)

or;

Speed of Sound = 49*sqrt(460+°F)

Generally, anything 1000 fps or less is subsonic, unless you're shooting when its REALLY cold out.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The speed of sound at sea level is 1116 fps. Didn't any of you pay attention in school. HMB

12. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Hah!! I've asked this before and gotten partially flamed for it but since someone else brought it up again…

What DOES happen to apparently fairly unstable shot pellets as they accelerate through and back down below the speed of sound? I'm intensely interested in understanding what actually happens - dynamically- to a shot cloud from muzzle to target. Probably it doesn't matter in a way but it has to have some effect…at least it should enhance the number of outfliers. All I know is what doesn't happen, and that's nothing.

Steve

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The first time it breaks the sound barrier the shot colomn is still in the barrel. It is protected by the barrel and the wad and no change occurs. When it leaves the barrel it slows down and passes through the sound barrier again. This time it is not protected and the turbulence that it encounters disrupts the pattern and increases the number of fliers. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting high velocity or low velocity

which is better for target shooting 1290 velocity or 1220 velocity shels