1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target/Hunting/Home Defense Gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mallardbend, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mallardbend

mallardbend TS Member

All,
    I have not done a lot of trap shooting or hunting in the past 10 years or so so I am a little out dated on my recommendations. I have a friend who is interested in buying a new shotgun. He would like to buy a gun that allows him to hunt, shoot trap, and have something for home defense. What are your suggestions on a type of gun that might maximize each of these areas?

My initial thoughts were: AL390/391, Benelli, Remington 1187, Model 12, Rem 870.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Goliad

Goliad TS Member

I'd have to vote for the pump guns since you threw home defense into the mix. Otherwise the 390 would be my personal choice.

3. kriegart

kriegart Member

I'd go with the 870. Buy the gun as a home defence and then buy a used tricked out trap barrel. There are a ton of used field barrels out there.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Why not a Browning or Beretta O/U with 28" barrels?

You will never see one touted as a home defense weapon by any of the SOF type rags but the O/U design is simple to load and make ready and two rounds of 12 gauge is pretty serious stuff. Odds are the gun will never see this kind of duty.

But in the field and target range (where the gun will be used), the O/U has few equals. Cleaning and maintenance are minimal relative to the other action types which is important particularly for people that aren't really gun guys.

5. ctreay

ctreay Member

Nothing equals the sound of an 870 shucking one into the chamber. That alone will strike fear into the heart of an intruder.

ctreay

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

870. Regards, Ed

7. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

8. 527varmint

527varmint Member

870 wingmaster, not an express. Pick up a a second 18" barrel for the house.

Overall its probably better to just get a handgun for the house and a shotgun for recreation. I would get the new beretta highlander. Its a economical version of the 391 just like the 3901 was to the 390. Reason I suggest it is its lighter weight then the 390 or 3901 and that will come in handy while hunting.

9. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

870 with two barrels....

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Definantly 870..a Jack West stock a few barrels and you're set for life..I would have loved to had been around to watch Rudy Etchen shoot one of his centuries in doubles with his 870

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    870 or 1187.

Get a 28" barrel for all around use.

And an 18.5" barrel for home defence.

The 1187 is going to be more comfortable to shoot, but is also going to require more work (cleaning).

A more viable alternative might be to get an 1100 or 1187 for field and target use, then get a cheap used 870 or a new Mossberg pump for home defence. No swapping of barrels needed and the home defence shotgun is always ready to go.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Mossberg or Maverick (same thing) with pistol grip or sawed off wood stock by the bedside with rounds in the tube, none in the chamber.

That will leave you money for the toys.

HM

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Does he want it to also drive him to the trap range ande the hunting grounds? Somem "compromises" are too far-reaching and accomplish none of the goals adaquately, leading to dissatisfaction in each of them.

14. mallardbend

mallardbend TS Member

I appreciate all the comments!

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

Listen to Halfmile.

You can get a used Mossy for $200. Buy a decent O/U for target and hunting.

Don Verna

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Get an 870 combo with the smooth bore slug barrel and 26"/28" VR CT barrel for the occasional clay target hunting usage.

Both Remington and Federal sell managed recoil OO buchshot home protection loads that are the cats meow. No worries about over penetration and light enough on recoil to practice with them. Still kills unwanted visitors as dead as those high powered loads.

Around my place you'll never hear the round being chambered. My home defence guns are ready to go on a moments notice.

ss

17. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I would go with the 870 Wingmaster and and extra barrel or two.

I bought a new 870 Wingmaster 28" plain barrel fixed modifier choke in 1965 and still have it,

I met a girl at a dance and she said that she needed a place to try out a pistol that her father had bought her. We shot her pistol and I took along the 870 and we shot several informal targets from a hand cranked trap. She hit her first clay target and loved the experience. We have now been married for over 42 years and she now has her own 1100.

I used that plain barrel 870 to take countless game animals and shot my first buck with it. I have shot both trap and skeet with it.

Over the years, I have added a 26" vent rib improved cylinder, a 20 " smooth bore rifle sighted slug barrel, an 18" cylinder bore riot barrel (heavy brush rabbits) and a 30" vent rib fixed full vent rib field barrel. It has been an excellent and versatile shotgun.

870's are very easy to clean and parts are available and inexpensive. They are dependable and have excellent triggers (for guns in their price range) and shooting qualities.

I could sell the whole collection of gun and extra barrels for many times what I paid for them.

Ed Ward

18. oz

oz Active Member

shotgun shooters will pick a shotgun.. handgun shooters will pick a handgun. rifle shooters will pick a rifle. I shoot all three. I pick an AR15....BUT if someone kicks my door down I pick my samurai sword.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.