1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target Height, What do you like?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by VNVET, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VNVET

VNVET Member

My question is about the "T" bar height and what most shooters prefer. The rule book allows 8' to 10'and recommends 9' to 9 1/2'. I understand the relationship between target speed, distance, and angle and we do have a radar gun at the club. One well known club, who's name I wont mention says the shooters like 8 1/2', but that seems low and flat and I feel like I need to adjust my comb because I'm shooting over the target. It seems to me that 9' is a better angle and more suitable to me. Some of you guys tell me what you like.

Jim

2. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

VNVET 9 1/2 ft The target is just high enough and not flat and does not drop to quick in case there is some wind at that the time, just my opinion.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I like em set at 9ft. 3 inches ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I like 9 foot 2 1/2 inch

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

8'11" + 16 little black marks. Hap

6. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

In my state, it seems that "what height do you like" is getting way too much play. Club directors are setting targets to the maximum legal height because they believe that that is what they and the majority of shooter like. Then when the wind changes and they are above legal height, they get grumpy if you ask them to be lowered. The rule book has legal and preferred settings. This should be respected. Bruce

7. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Just give them to me in those legal limits. It is amazing how many clubs do not know this!!!

GS

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

9.5 feet is a good height in still air for singles and handicap. Doubles should be set a little higher. The higher set target shows more face and gives a larger area to shoot at than a target set lower. Also, a trap machine that is positioned closer to the front of the trap house will throw targets with more face than a trap machine set further back in the house. The ATA rule book does not mention anything about where the trap machine should be placed in the trap house.

Pat Ireland

9. oletymer

oletymer Member

As long as everyone shoots the same targets I like whatever is in the air.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

10'

Curt

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

We use 9 foot 3 inches in still air, 42 mph with the ProSpeed which measures in tenths. We found it much easier to be consistent from field to field with the better gun. We have also found that 39 mph works better than the 38 on doubles. Shoot well and often while we can, Bob

12. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Anywhere in the legal limits.

Jim C

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Depends on the wind.........with the wind on the nose, set 'em low. With the wind from behind, set 'em high. With no wind, 9' will be good. What you're trying to accomplish is to set the height to the optimum out at the distance where the targets are normally broken.

John C. Saubak

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jack- I understand the target setting challenge in Oklahoma. I have set targets in Clinton OK. At least the wind is fairly constant and from the SW.

Pat Ireland

15. larryjk

larryjk Member

ALF-99, Are you sure it isn't 9'2and3/4"?

16. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

get rid of the speed gun and set em to the bar and stake...

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Most height bars I have checked are correct. And, a 50 yard stake is very good if the wind is not blowing. If you set a target to travel 50 yards and the wind is blowing, the target is not set according to the ATA rules.

Pat Ireland

18. VNVET

VNVET Member

John,

"Thanks for your service to our country! John Rudy Jr. "

I consider my military service an honor and was proud to serve. Thank you! I was discharged in April 1969 after serving a tour with the 5th Div (M) in Quang Tree (spelling).

Back to the thread topic! I am the Trap Program Director at our club and our machines are level with the plane of the 16 yd line and the machines are mounted 14" in from the front of the trap house and we do have a 50 yd stake. Our "T" bar is 9' from the plane of the 16 yd line at "Point B". I set the machines myself, early in the morning in still air on the day of our shoot. I also adjust as necessary as conditions change during the course of the day. All our fields are set the same using the same "T" bar since all our machines and fields are the same, relative to the plane of the 16 yd line. The reason for my post is that I thought there might be some consensus as to the perfect target height prefered my most handicap shooters.

Jim

19. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

What Bob Hawkes said.

"We use 9 foot 3 inches in still air, 42 mph with the ProSpeed which measures in tenths. We found it much easier to be consistent from field to field with the better gun. We have also found that 39 mph works better than the 38 on doubles. Shoot well and often while we can."

Those are very nice settings, that will throw a consistent target in calm to medium wind.

VNVET,

IMHO, the quickest way to almost guarantee poor handicap scores, is to throw them high and fast. It's a damn quick way to put an end to a shoot-off in caps and singles.

20. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

THANK YOU, Paladin. :) Time to go, LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

registered trap target height

trap shooting and 10-yard stake