1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target disappears at twilight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AKA Bert, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA Bert

AKA Bert TS Member

About an hour before dark when the target reaches the sky it disappears, I cannot see it after it gets above the trees. Others tell me that it is hard for them to see it but they do see it. When it gets dark and the lights come on, I have no trouble seeing the target has any one else had this problem? aka Bert

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

That's why the lights come on...

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

yes, I have the same problem and the club I'm shooting at on Tue. night throws all orange targets, at least with black rimmed targets you can see the contrast against the sky.

tony

4. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I have that problem at twilight or any day that is overcast and the clouds are white to light gray. I have not found a lens color that corrects this problem.

5. d_fixitman

d_fixitman Member

My Post 4 Optics lenses in Desert Glow works well at this time and after dark as well.

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Everyone struggles to see at twilight to some extent. The cones in your eyes don't work very well and its not quite dark enough for your rods to make up for it.

7. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I beat my head against that problem all last year thinking I would could train my eyes/brains to see the clays at that certain period of dusk. I thought that perserverance, dedication and commitment would make a difference. Boy was I wrong. Somedays I would be powdering 24 & 25s, other times chips and chucks for 15! Eventually I noted that absolutely no regulars were there at that time only newbies so I polled the regulas who confided that they avoid that entire dusk period and night shooting too.

In the spring/summer, I shoot till about 10 minutes after the official sunset time. Then I wait till the sky is completely black and the lights are on before I start shooting again. I have also noticed that our club's lights light the bird differently on different fields. On one, even with lights on, the birds disappear about 25 yards beyond the house, and on the next field, the lights are good for about 40 yards. Good luck!

8. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I hope cataract surgery will fix that. AJ

9. TjayE

TjayE Member

Cataract surgery ruined my eyes. Since cataract surgery my Singles average has changed from 95% to 88%. The change has me thinking about quiting this game. I am very frustrated with the results from my cataract surgery. What can be done to correct this situation? Tom E.

10. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

TjayE -- It might be possible that you have started cross-firing since your surger. PM me and I will send you my cell number or you send me yours. Maybe we can get you back on track. PK

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

All shooters in my area are having problems seeing the target, scores are way down on the protection shoots 8-9 out of 10 have been the results.

I have to change lenses to get the right target presentation, I use clear at night and Plum, Dk Brown, Missouri Orange,and CMTs on bright sunny days.

When the leaves get out on the trees it will be better, The clubs I shoot at shoot Green and Full Orange Targets, but the FEDERAL Targets that the club throws are the hardest to break, The Lawry's break better, but the White Flyers are very easy to break.

2 of the clubs went to Lawry's because of shooter complaints and target examination of targets w/3 -5 holes in them on the FEDERAL targets that did not break.

We get the Lawry's from Jim Rieheld in Danville Ohio 740-501-1400 he also sells reloading supplies.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. TjayE

TjayE Member

Phil Kiner, thanks for taking the time to call me and giving me a procedure to follow. I shall follow your instructions and get back to you with the results. Tom E.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I think I may have figured out the problem. When there is a lot of light, it is easier to see things. When there is very little light, it becomes harder to see things. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

Pat Ireland

14. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bad news Phirel, as George Carlin said, "tonights forecast ----------------------------------------------dark, <br>
    with widely scattered lightness in the morning." Harv.

15. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Hope it works out for you Mr. Ezolt, wouldnt want to see you leave shooting.

Sincerely, Osker Reynolds

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I know the soultion. I just don't know how to make it happen.

You need younger eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trapshooting in low light before dark