1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target difficulty, new shooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by perga1, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I just want to post my thoughts on this issue. When I first went to a trap range I was 19, 1963. I had at the time a Remington Sportsman 11-48. I went to try to improve my shooting for hunting season. I shot low gun and broke 17-19 all the time. The other shooters there were shooting mounted gun and were for the most part breaking 19-22. Of course there was this one guy with a freaky looking single barrel that usually broke 23-24. I was not intimidated by the scores of the other shooters. A few years later I went again with my new A-5, 28 inch barrel and modified choke, again warming up for hunting season. I broke better scores 19-22 and felt like I could do this. Skip ahead to 1986. I gave up my business and worked just one job and got serious about trapshooting. Got a Trap gun and started going 3-4 times a week got to shoot 22-24 regularly and after 6 months finally broke a 25 which was pretty rare at the club. My point is this, if I was starting today and I was shooting those 17-19 sores and I was watching shooter after shooter breaking multiple 25's I may have been too intimidated to go back. Could that be the problem with gaining new shooters today? JRM

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

JRM, that may be the case in some instances,but I believe a person of any age that is truly interested and serious about the sport and who would be a positive influence on the sport would take that as a challenge instead of a deterent.JMHO---Steve

3. magnumthunder

magnumthunder Member

I still keep going back! One of these days I'll shoot beter than them!! Been saying that for 5 years now!

4. perga1

perga1 Active Member

AA, perhaps, but perhaps not. New shooters are just that, new. They no doubt have some anxiety about stepping up to the line for the first time unless they are made to feel welcome and are encouraged. That isn't as common as it should be either. I would guess most new shooters will break between 5 and 15 targets their first try. It's a long way to 25 and perhaps more than they are willing to strive for since they are novices and have not yet learned how rewarding breaking goood scores can be. JRM

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

perga1,

Are you saying we would get more new shooters if we threw a target that is harder to hit?

jim brown

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

If you become intimidated then you are worried to much about what other shooters think. Forget that and just shoot for yourself giving it your best effort. I've no doubt that many new shooters leave the sport or never really get started because of this.....that's to bad and doesn't have to be!

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It's up to the experienced shooters to make this a good or bad start. Stories in how they got started help the newby to realize not everybody started shooting 25's. Encouragement is a must.

Don

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I will shoot with new shooters and do all I can to help and encourage them. I believe that segregating the new shooters from the experienced shooters makes them feel unwelcome. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a new shooter shooting a score of 11 or 12 on his first round. It is the first step toward 100 straight.

We must recognize that a new shooter may feel inadequate among the expensive guns and very good shooters. We need to make them feel welcome and help them along. Do not try to teach them everything after they have shot only 50 rounds. Learning one thing at a time is enough.

Pat Ireland

9. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Perga1

I think you are correct. Perfection or near that by breaking 25s will make a person new to trap shooting feel like they just have too much to learn to do this game.

Most new trap shooters are people who have hunted and have some field ability with a shotgun. This type of person far outnumbers the one who has not fired a shotgun before. When the targets are thrown wide and fast, they don't know they are outside or too long, just that they are in the air and they don't expect to break all of them.

10. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I'm a relativly new shooter and I can tell you the first time I shot trap ever was April of this year. I went out there all alone with a Browning duck gun that I bought at Gander Mountain I have no idea how many I broke because there was no one but the puller out there and I got 25 targets and they wanted to close up and go home this was at 1:00 in the afternoon. I went back on the day that they practice for the local leagues and there were alot of club members there that night I again shot alone as I was the new guy but I saw shotguns that were to me amazing, single barrels with high ribs and holes in the ends which I now know is called porting. Only one person talked to me and told me that they Practice in Watertown on Mondays and I should go come over and shoot. " Wow you can shoot on Monday too ? and shoot with us on Thursdays in a league. Wow ?way cool. I shot a few figured where to hold the gun on the house some practice rounds and break 22 or 23 again I see the these guns that are nothing like I have ever seen before.. Home I go and tell the wife they got the coolest guns over there you have ever seen. Yeah Yeah ok Martin thats nice start the BBQ ok ...
    Down to Gander I run and ask what kinda shotguns do you have with holes in them, One of the guys points to the glass case and and there it is the Holy Grale of shotguns so I thought a Browning 525 Sporting Clays gun. A Quick trade and $700.00 loss on a one week old gun and out the door I go after a week of waiting for the ffl to approve me I go down and pick up my new shotgun with holes in it. Out of the box on League night is comes and and my shooting buddy says your not really going to shoot that tonight are you? Sure I am. And on my first time shooting in a league I break 24. I now have a Browning XT Combo that I shoot and my goal for this year was NOT to have people withdraw their names when I sign up on a squad to shoot with them. I believe that hopefully might happen if I let my shotgun do the talking. My second goal is to hear my hulls hitting the concrete at nysata homegrounds like the big boys in the shootoffs what a great sound.. :).

Martin Milano 0765881

11. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

If anyone is withdrawing when they see that you are shooting, and if it is for any reason other than they are afraid of being beat by you, you need to find a new club to shoot at. Good luck and welcome to that ATA and trapshooting in general. And I will shoot with you any time you want here in Missouri. John

12. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Jim Brown, I guess the answer to that is yes. I think that may be one of the reasons the scores were not intimidating when I first shot trap. I didn't know anything about angles I just knew I was shooting pretty good. I never shot more than 8 rounds of trap a year until 1986. In 86 I had time and a few dollars to spend so I got serious. Trap at our club was growing and no one complained about angles. JRM

13. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

man you guys must have some great shooters at your club. When I first went I had a big fat 0 out of 25 and after the first 100 I had a 3. If that doesnt make you want to come back nothing will. Don

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I started trapshooting because I wanted to learn how to bird hunt. I could not hit aerial targets. My shotgun use was limited to tactical, where the shotgun is used as a short range rifle.

Started with an 870 Wingmaster, which kicked the snot out of me. I don't think I ever broke 20. I could only shoot two rounds, and that was it. Eventually traded off the 870 and didn't shoot trap again for several years.

Started again with a Browning Model 12 in 20ga. I had difficulty breaking 20. Sometimes I'd get 22 to 23, but it was few and far between. I got back into trap shooting because I still wanted to bird hunt, and having done most other shooting sports, I wanted to do better with the shotgun sports.

A while later I discovered ts.com. This was the most significant factor in my improving my shotgun skills. It was here that people helped with my problem and suggested solutions.

For the recoil issue, a few folks suggested a gas automatic. I eventually bought an 1187, and that tamed the recoil issue without draining my budget.

I shot with only one eye open, and did poorly. went to a Uni-Dot as recommended, and after a couple of months I shot my first 25 and 50 straight. I put Uni-Dots on all my shotguns, except my cowboy shotgun since that sport does not allow them, and my round barreled defense shotgun, for which no Uni-Dot is made.

For the most part people on this website are willing to help newbies, something lacking at many clubs.

15. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I can't help but think how funny I must have been going to my first few shoots. I was at the nysata home grounds for my very first big shoot the 2007 NY State shoot. I had finished my first 100 on Saturday morning and really was not doing that well I think I broke like 92. I was walking past on of the vendors and he was selling shooting glasses. He asked me what are those your shooting with. These glasses I said there Oakley's smiling. He asked me did you notice that everyone else had different kinds of glasses than those. I said sure but I thought it was an upstate thing no ? He laughed and handed me a pair of these fancy amber colored glasses and asked me to walk out and have a look at the birds coming out of the house. I put them on and walked out there and was like "Get the hell out of here" Are you kidding me ??? Sir I'd like a pair of these and some of those fancy lenses you got there too which ones would you suggest..?? I went out and broke my first straight... dumbass you bet... Shooting Glasses Priceless :)) You can't make this stuff up.

Martin...

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I think I broke 12/25 my first time shooting trap in 1975. After that I was hooked, and have been ever since. It's always been me -vs- the machine. If I win, I beat the machine and the other guys didn't.

17. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I don't think good scores scare new shooters away. Though as a new shooter I had a hard time understanding someone being unhappy with a 48 or 49 out of 50. And I didn't understand it is a sport, with fierce competition. I just looked at it as practice for hunting.

I think what does scare new shooters away is not feeling welcome. I'm as guilty of it as anyone. I'm not as outgoing as I should be with strangers. I think not understanding the conversation scares new shooters away. Stand back and listen to a group of male trapshooters sitting at a picnic table jabbering away about loads, chokes, etc. The new guy has no clue what you're talking about. And last, coming on too strong with new shooters scares them away. We all want new members at our clubs, but some members get too excited about the prospect of new blood. The new member's ear gets talked off, he gets advice left and right, he gets asked to join leagues or the ATA, etc, etc.

All in all, we're a decent group of people, but we all have some bad habits that scare new shooters away. But worse than the targets, or anything we may do, I think it's time and cost that keeps new shooters from sticking to the sport.

~Michael

18. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

bcnu - Thank you thats very nice of you to say . And if I'm ever there I'll take you up on that .

I visited my brother in Ft. Lauderdale last month and went to shoot at Markum GC. Hope I spelled that right anyway I broke a couple of straights and they wanted to know what kind of shells I was using and I said Cheap ones .. On sale ...

I still don't know the difference I'm working on the technical talk for this year ...

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trap is easy if you go about it in the right way. You need a gun that shoots straight and high. You need a gun that fits. You need shooting glasses so you can see the target. And you need to program your brain so when the gun goes bang it breaks the target.

Start on station #3 with the machine set on straight aways and stay there till you break em all. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.