1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target Comparison - Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grnberetcj, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Our local club has been using White Flyer targets but recently has been entertaining the idea of switching to Lawry targets due to pricing (approx. $1.50 per case less). If the club switches, it'll save approx. $5,000 yearly.

Anybody using Lawry targets?

Are they as good as White Flyer?

Opinions please.

Thanks,

Curt

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

This debate is like the 7/8 oz load. Many threads no absolute answer. Personal preference.

Don

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

One of the clubs I belong to, just completed a comparison of White Flyer vs Lawry. The results indicated that the NEW Lawry targets performed as good if not better than The White Flyer targets. The only propblem is there is a rreluctance to use Lawry targets in NC due to their past reputation. I feel one & only one brand should be used for registered targets. This guarantees a level playing field. It would be great if the ATA @ a major shoot would have a true comparative test. Then like major league baseball, determine which target shall be used for all ATA registered events.

Phil Berkowitz

4. TjayE

TjayE Member

It is a good idea to have two suppliers for our targets. End results, Competition will make the targets BETTER and more reasonably priced. Tom

5. msmith

msmith Member

Ever since Remington quite making clay targets, White Flyer has had almost a monopoly in the target business. The new Lawry target is made from the same pitch as White Flyer. They get it from Marathon Ashland. I feel both targets are equal but with purchasing Lawry you deal direct with Lawry with no middle man to take extra $$. You deal directly with the manufacture. I feel some of White Flyers distributers are getting alittle gready. Mike

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Curt,

You're going to get a wide variety of opinions on this subject. Here's my experience.

We didn't throw registered targets for many, many yrs. During this period, we threw Lawry's exclusively. We had great luck with them off of the old Winchester traps.

Fast forward to 6 yrs. ago. We bought 2 Super Stars to replace the old Winchesters. Nothing but problems. Busted targets, machine doubling, etc., etc.

We paid for a return visit from a Star tech. Ended up trying some White Flyers and the problems vanished.

The biggest problem that you'll run into is shooters not showing up to registered shoots. There's a stigma that exists with Lawrys.

I haven't shot the new and improved Lawrys. I liked the old ones fine. Some people say that they are hard or whatever. I say hogwash. They're a good target.

The only problem with Lawry targets is that when shooters get wind that they are being thrown, they make an issue out of it. It's just what happens when you try to change a culture.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Thanks for the input...very much appreciated.

Regards to all,

Curt

8. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I shoot them at many clubs and in the winter I have seen them knocked side ways and not break but have also seen wf do it to. The new loads of lawerys that the clubs in my area have gotten seem to be alot better then the old ones so I would say go for it.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike, at one time Lawrey and White Flyer did get their pitch from Marathon Ashland, but that is no longer true. That refinery was the only place making pitch and they decided to stop pitch production. White Flyer did, after some serious talking with other refineries, did get another source of pitch. Three months ago there was real doubt that any pitch would be available for targets. White Flyer solved their problem.

Pat Ireland

10. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

At $1.50 a case less, that's $2268.00 a truckload lower than the competition.

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

We have been throwing Lawreys for a few years. No quality problems. We throw a couple of trailers a year. Good company to do business with..Priced lower then their competition so that permits us to offer better prices to our members and they break just fine..Shooters will complain when they break poor scores regardless of brand..set good targets with good prices and they will be happy with any brand. If they break poor scores, they need something to blame. Targets are an easy thing to point to.

Big Jack

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Hey Two Dogs, Lawry still have that heavy "poker chip"? Send me an email on how you're doing. Barry

13. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Curt,

Last summer we had a hard time getting enough white flyers. So we threw lawreys, champions and white flyers. We had to make some minor adjustments to our superstar trap machines for the Champion targets but after we figured that out that they were just as good as the W/F & Lawrey. What really suprised me was that there were no complaints from the trap shooters, skeet shooters, sporting clays or 5 stand/FITASC shooters regarding the target brand. We had more shooters last year as compared to the previous year.

Besides if they can truly shoot, they shouldn't care who makes it.

Best,
    Tom

14. 3357

3357 Member

my home clubthrows Lawrey targets,the other clubs I shoot at throw White Flyer.

I cannot tell any difference in flight or breakability.

15. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I've shot both and loaded both in machines at the clubs I belong to and shoot at. I have had people tell me that one is better than the other and loaded both in the same machine in alternating stacks. Nobody could tell the difference. As long as the same targets are loaded in all the machines at a shoot, I see no problem. I will patronize clubs that support either of these fine companies. Bill Malcolm

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I did get some Lawrey targets to test using my questionably reliable vacuum test. I have not had a chance to test them yet. I have not yet been able to rig up a sharp point pressure test device. I have press but have not found a good pressure gage.

I only know about one club in NC that threw Lawrey targets for some time. Their results were not favorable. Last December, Silver Dollar was considering Lawrey targets. They were compared ( I do not know how) to White Flyer and the conclusion was that White Flyer were superior. This conclusion was relayed to me by a current member of the All American Team.

Pat Ireland

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Thanks to all for your information and time.

Curt

18. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

We use these targets all time - they are excellent - I have mixed them in our GMV's with WF and had no problems with the machine breaking any targets - I would recommend them - remember its a "clay" target - you hit it - it breaks
    J Mroczka

19. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Does anyone know exactly what Lawry changed about their target?

20. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

If your club can save 5K a year I would go with the Lawry's. The budget at our club is getting tight. Higher utilities, insurance, grass mowing, etc. 5K would pay the utilities for our club for a whole year.

I've shot both WF and Lawry I really can't tell the difference. I would switch to Lawry and not tell anybody. Most people wouldn't know the difference unless you mention it to them. If you make it a big deal about the switch from WF to Lawry then shooters will have an excuse for the birds they miss. "That bird would have broke if it was a WF". Yeah right!

Bisi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.