1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target Colors

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BDodd, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Our local club has tried them all and the people come for the orange dome white flyers.....Bob Dodd

2. PNT

PNT Member

I personally like white flyer New York style. More orange so I can see them with the rim of black so they don't appear fuzzy to me. Next preference is the orange dome.

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Much depends on your background . We shoot into a tree background so all orange is best for us . Those clubs who have targets going up into a sky background may like black rimed targets better .

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Mr. Payne:

ljutic111 makes an important point. Orange dome targets with the black rim are great against a blue sky background. OTOH, they don't show up well against a dark/tree/green background. Throw orange domes against a dark/green/tree background on an overcast day and your shooters will NOT be happy.

sissy

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

ljutic111 is correct, it depends on the background. Black rim is best for sky targets, NY style is good for a combination of trees and sky. All orange or green targets are best against a solid tree background.

The black rim is important against a sky background because it provides a sharp definition between the sky and the target. Don't try to save a little money by throwing less than the best targets. Putting the best possible targets in the air is the most important thing a club can do.

Pat Ireland

6. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Here at Oxford we throw orange dome black ring targets. They are not perfect for all lighting conditions but some of the area state shoots throw them and the shooters know thats what they will be seeing if they shoot at Millington, or Oxford. Just like they know they will be shooting green targets at Carney. Once you have a tradition going, stick with it if it works.

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Personally I wish they were all green. They absolutely show up best for me against any background, day or night. JMHO, but the ATA will NEVER go for that...

Jon Reitz

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Mr. Reitz, What does the ATA have to do with target color?

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The last I checked (several years ago), the ATA's only stipulation about target coloration is that it be uniform on each trap.

I had to check into that because at a 50-target winter league shoot perhaps 10 years ago, the host club decided to throw all-orange targets on one trap and all-green targets on the other trap to see which color generated the higher scores. It was a registered league but less than a dozen of the 90+ shooters were registering their scores. Three of them complained bitterly about the green targets but two of the complainers shot their best scores of the league thus far that day - a 50 and a 49 - while the third reported the league to the ATA for an alleged rule violation. Nothing ever came of that complaint.

By the way, the scores on the "green" trap were higher than those on the "orange" trap. The club's traps shot over its lake, which was frozen and snow-covered, and its background was the leafless, brown hardwood trees on the far shoreline. The orange targets could be seen over the snow-covered ice but became very hard to see against the trees. The green targets were all but invisible over the pond but showed up nicely against the trees.

Ed

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Give me green!!

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do like green targets. And it will surprise many that they are excellent against green trees. The green targets seem to get better when the light gets worse. But, green targets are not great against a sky background.

Pat Ireland

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Pat is right. The worse the background the better is green!!

13. AveragEd

You have to be careful when buying "black ring" targets. There is an "orange dome" which is a black target with only the dome portion painted orange. White Flyer refers to this target in their plants as a "50-50 target" as about half of it is black and half is orange. Then there is the target White Flyer calls their "New York style" which basically is an all-orange with only the side of the bottom rim left unpainted.

Orange domes are good against a sky background but are harder to see against darker backgrounds like trees. New Yorks can be easily seen against about any background but also show up well in the sky. Both targets appear to be whole, round targets quite quickly without the blurry, streaky appearance of an all-orange.

Ed

14. willing

willing Member

One range that I shoot at has a pine tree background. They throw green targets and they look like a spotlight was on them, except for one very small gap where they sky shows and the darn target just disappears.

Bill

15. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Maybe they should start making green targets with orange rims and orange targets with green rims. Personally I never have liked the blacked rimmed targets under any circumstances as I don't even shoot them well. Not sure why but for me it happens.

16. Jon Reitz

Mr. Roach,

I know what the current rule states, but I just don't see the ATA ever allowing a universal change in target color from orange to green. It's too.....radical. The ATA is a very set-in-their-ways organization. And again, this is JMHO. No typing wars intended here, nor will I participate.

All,

As for the color, the national safety color itself has changed. Look at the color used for school and highway safety signs. Look at the safety color used for clothing for construction workers and flagmen along the highways. Green is more visible. It tends to attract the eye of most people quicker (most people).

Observe a squad of shooters on the trap field shooting a round of trap with 5-6 green targets sprinkled in the carousel. Just watch. The green ones come out "clear and whole". Lots of shooters will tell you afterward that the green targets even appear bigger and are definitely more visible. Try it.

As for their use against different backgrounds, there’s no doubt that certain backgrounds are not optimum for green targets. But we all know the same is true for orange. And targets used for trap shooting weren’t always orange either, nor was it worn in the woods. Things evolve. JMHO.

Jon Reitz

17. AveragEd

John's a little wrong in that the ATA could not care less what color target clubs throw for registered shoots as long as all the targets on each trap are the same color. BUT trapshooters very strongly resist anything new and different, so he's real right about orange targets being around for a long time to come. Remember the turmoil when orange was replacing yellow? And when yellow replaced white? And when white replaced black?

Flourescent yellow-green, the name the 3M Company assigned to the green we see on targets, street warning signs, fire apparatus and safety vests these days, is much more visible than orange. But you'll not hear too many trapshooters agreeing with that.

Several years ago, we got into a heated debate on here about target colors and I shipped a 135-count carton of green targets to a poster from Michigan or thereabouts who threw them at his local club. He reported that the shooters said they could see them better but didn't like them as well as orange. Go figure.

The best way to see the difference between any two target colors is to load an automatic trap with alternating columns of the two (or more) colors or load a hand-set machine with alternating colors. I was subjected to that method when Elysburg was considering changing to New York targets from all-orange and held a special shooting meeting for gun club delegates. I went there not wanting to see any change and two posts later, was all in favor of the change.

Ed

18. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

We shoot all black in the winter. Our field climbs a hill and is all snow. Target goes from all snow then leafless trees, mostly tree stems. Tough field to shoot. Dave T.

19. Jon Reitz

Good thread. The "dawg" will be along here any minute now...

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ed is right about colors and shooters. You also have to factor in lighting conditions. As it happens, I shoot at a variety of clubs and four of the colors mentioned are used.

Four of the clubs I shoot at throw all orange targets. The members of the closest club all swear by all orange. Yet my ATA scores at that club run 6 points lower that at my home club (orange dome). The club faces East, the sun is in front of you until 1PM, and the background sucks. At another club, with an all deciduous tree background, all orange is terrific in the summer, in the afternoon. I shoot well there. At a third club, facing West, I shoot higher than average singles and doubles scores, and my best handicap scores. So there is an 8 point spread in ATA averages between the best and worst clubs throwing all orange targets.

Elysburg throws NY targets. I shoot my best scores on the top line (faces West) and lower scores on the lower line (faces North). Same targets, different backgrounds and different lighting.

A sporting course I shoot is literally in the woods (mixed evergreen and deciduous). So you see brown and green, sun dappled and dark. There are lanes of fire where you simply cannot pick up an all orange target unless you know where it's coming from and can follow it. That makes finding the second bird dicey. When they switched to all green targets a lot of shooters said euuw. They saw them better, shot better and recorded higher scores. They changed their tunes. Now green targets are the cats meow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.