1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target Breaks (and what they tell you) PICS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike Michalski, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Bull

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

When I put most of my pattern under a target and hit the target with the upper fringe of my pattern, I could hit, with approximately equal probability, the top, bottom, right or left side of the target.

Pat Ireland

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I think only the very accomplished shooters might read their breaks somewhat accurately. Not entirely by the way a clay breaks but by what they last saw after the gun fired. Hap

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Reading the breaks and reading the machine are two skills that should be
    developed. HMB

5. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Dumb question would the hardness of different targets make a difference in the way or how many pieces the targets break into ???

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Rethink you post. On a straight away target there is very little of the bottom of the target available to hit. This is due to the front to back slope of the target. On a hard right fom 5 it would be difficult to hit the left side of the target. HMB

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I like the explanation for a weak break. It can only be choke? C'mon. What if your just not hitting thae target with center mass?

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

MIA,

You're missing the big picture here. Look below the breaks. Increase your scores with Maybelline! I suggest Obama-Commie Pink, it's all the rage.

Danny

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- The target we shoot at is elliptical but the ellipse presents an equal top and bottom surface areas. The surfaces I am referring to are what we see when the target is in the air. I fail to understand your comment about the difficulty of hitting the back side of a right angle bird from post five.

Pat Ireland

10. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

The real reason for those different breaks.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Nock the nose off, then remind yourself to adjust lead 1.75 inches when you get that exact same right angle next time, repeat as needed....

12. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

If you consistently hit targets, what does it matter how you break them? I mean I know if you're going to get technical about it, it may matter. But if you break 25's with partial breaks, how does that make you any better of a shooter if you shatter all of them?
    -Trappy

13. Alamo

Alamo Member

Wonder if Tiger Woods is content to just "hit" the ball or is there more to it?

If you are content to chip 100 targets, you have met your goal. And you are right, 100 Chipped targets beats 99 smoked targets anytime. I just wonder how often the chipper beats the smoker? Respectfully yours.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Alamo, I'd have to guess not too often. "I just wonder how often the chipper beats the smoker?" Chippin and hackin makes the mind wonder then wander into missing. Smoking them means a centered clay in the pattern.

The best shooters say trap is a game of inches, not feet. Mis-read one by a few inches coupled with mis-leading it a few inches and thats medicine for a miss. Hap

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

On a hard right from post 5 isn't the right side of the target between you and the left side of the target. Thus blocking the shot from hitting the left side of the target. Also your ability to see the left side of the target is impaired. HMB

16. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

A chipped bird is a miss, and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise, it seems to me. You didn't hit what you intended to hit. The goal is no pieces at all, no arrogance intended.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- No. The actual target is a disk that really does not have left and right sides. What we see as the target is a spinning elliptical shape target that our vision sees with definite right and left sides.

Trappy- When, and I do this often, I am smoking targets and then get one or two lightly chipped targets, the weak hits are telling me I am doing something wrong. I am hitting the targets with the fringe of my pattern and I know what is just outside of my pattern fringe. I had better change or a miss is coming.

Pat Ireland

18. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I don't know - but if you are consistently getting breaks such as are shown in the pictures, I would bet a click left or right on the comb would go a long way towards better scores. You can't tell anything from an isolated incident or a couple of targets, but if you are consistently seeing breaks as described, I bet the recommendations are good ones.

Joe

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

EXACTLY what Stafford, Robinson and Bailey taught me 30 years ago.

20. yansica1

yansica1 Member

Sorry if this is frowned on in a Trap forum, I only shoot Sporting but I can tell you if you don`t pay attention to the manner of your breaks, you are only inches from missing.

When you watch the better guys its easy to see them making constant adjustments throughout a string of 10 (station).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.