1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Target background makes a difference

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Shot today at two different clubs. One club had a sky background and the other had a trees background. The first club i shot very good score and the second club i shot horrable. Background does make a difference with these old eyes..

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You bet your ass it does. I refuse to go back to Highland IL gun club because of my inability to shoot good with their background.

3. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

What score did you shoot at Elrama today, Earl??

I was also having trouble when the bird left the trees, and went into the sky. The all-orange birds were tough to see well.

Was your other shooting at Ruffsdale, and were they throwing the orange-dome and black targets? I find them easier to see with a all sky background, or a mixed background, like at Elrama.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Not only back ground, my front bead makes a difference too.

One of my gun has interchangeable front bead, if I put in a bright green or red "light up" tube, I get distracted, because It's brighter than the target. Now I stay with basic small opaque white.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I believe that all targets that eventually enter the skyline should have a black rim. The problem is when the black rim chips off in the tree line, or before the skyline. Very hard to see.

6. 20yard

20yard TS Member

My issue with background is when it changes during my swing, if I'm tracking a target and it goes from tree or dirt background to bright sky I flinch when I momentarily lose the target. I try to compensate by shooting earlier, not always with good result.

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

You're absolutely correct--at my new home club, the targets are always into a sky back ground. They throw White Flyer Orange Domb Target---they look like garbage can lids when the sun is right---if you try & shoot them before 10 AM they look like black specs.

There are other clubs that throw all orange targets on a tree background, most of their shooters are skeet shooters & their target selection is justified.

However, in my opinion any club that is holding a registered shoot , the targets should be identical to those thrown @ the state shoot @ all candidates for state teams should be required to shoot at least 60% of their targets at clubs other than their home club.

It is a state team, not the 'whatever club" state team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.