1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tapered wall vs. Straight wall?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mette56, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

For decades I have reloaded Federal hulls with Federal components.

Occasionally I'll run across a AA or STS hull and reload it with the Federal wad. When fired, the reload (with incorrect wad) seems to work the same as those reloaded with the correct wad.

What really happens when an incorrect wad taper is fired, and is there an undesirable result?

Thanks in advance...

2. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

You are more apt to have a problem if you were to use a Rem. in a Fed hull. As the powder cup is not going to seal well and you could get powder to migrate from under the wad.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

m56, Minnesota Webmaster Ron Baker carried out some tests on exactly your question. Combining his findings with ones I have done myself, if the shot weight is 1 1/8 oz. the expected speed and pressure is reached by all tested combinations of wads and hulls, though, of course, but few have been tested.

If the shot weight is one ounce (data from Estate hulls) you will get fine results from the intended (straight-wall type) wads but if you use the other kind, those intended for taper hulls, you risk reduced performance both in speed and expected pressure. Based on this, both Ron and I use the intended wads when loading one ounce, as we both often do.

Neil

4. jdar46

jdar46 Guest

As John Thompson Said,
    "You are more apt to have a problem if you were to use a Rem. in a Fed hull. As the powder cup is not going to seal well and you could get powder to migrate from under the wad."
    What can happen is that the powder can move from the powder area of the shell to the web area of the wad to cause a seemingly double fire. This can cause a flinch or an unwillingness to raise your barrel ever so slightly because of the unsuspected 2nd fire. This can also happen with bad wad guides in the loaders, which distorts the wad as it hits the top of the shell as it goes into the shell.

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

So it's OK to use a Federal 12S3 wad in a Rem Gun Club, Win AA or Estate hull?

Thanks to all for your help.

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

A couple of weeks ago I bought my first federal 20 gauge wads to try. They caused a severe bulge in many of my Remington and Winchester hulls. Don't know about their 12 gauge wads. I have used a lot of different wads but never before had any that wouldn't fit in my hulls. I put the remainder away to try later in Federal hulls.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I used the CB clone of the Federal 12 SO for several years in AA hulls for a 7/8 oz skeet load. Eventually changing to the "correct" wad made almost no difference in performance in the field or over the chronograph. If it works and your recipe isn't on the cusp of a pressure question, I'd say try it. But then, why not get a bag or two of the appropriate wad and go by the recipe books....Bob Dodd

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

mette56

Using the Federal 12S0 or 12S3 wad in a tapered hull seems to present very few problems. Using a wad intended for a tapered hull in a Federal or other straight walled hull can cause several issues. Exactly what you would encounter and how severe it would be depends on the type of wad, powder, and other factors like how you handle and transport the loaded shells, the temperature, etc. Some people never notice anything out of the ordinary. I have had issues when using wads intended for a tapered hull in straight walled hulls, so I don't do it, even though there is loading data to support it. I have experienced off sounding shells, increased unburned powder residue, lower than expected velocities, inconsistent velocities, and poor patterns. I use the Federal wads quite frequently, but usually use them in a straight walled hull. They did work just fine when I did try them in a tapered hull and they were very consistent as far as the velocity in my loads. I use the 12S0 for a 7/8 oz load in the STS hulls on occasion. It's a great wad for handicap practice and holds up well at higher velocities. The 12S3 and 12S4 have given similar results. The 12S3 is a great wad for handicaps as well.

Use them and shoot well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12s3 wad in gun club hull