1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tape Users/Glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 4th. down, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

This is for the tape users, not Magic Dot, who have a dominant eye or cross-dominance. We know there are numerous threads on this, but in particular - outside the lense or inside the lense or does it make any difference?

2. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I suspect not much difference at all....

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I put mine inside the lense, although I don't think it makes any difference. Mark

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Outside for me. Hate being kept in!

5. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

I now use a plastic clip on cover, but when I used electric tape it was on the outside. My cross-dominance problem is so bad that if I got any glare or color on my left eye (non-shooting eye) it would completely take over my field of vision.

I had to go to black to stop it, and then a gentleman at an ATA shoot gave me a black plastic clip on cover. It does the job just as well, and means that I can remove it to score targets, and not have one lens that was always taped.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Been using black cloth hockey tape on my left lens for a couple years and have found it to be an advantage to put the tape on the INSIDE of the lens. Hockey tape is not shiny and reflective like plastic electrical tape or magic tape so putting it on the inside eliminates distracting glare and reflections that would otherwise bounce off the inside surface of the lens.

Keller

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I use a little rectangle about 3/8" x 5/8" on the outside of my lens (inside/outside doesn't really matter). A small piece like this, carefully located to only block my front bead, still lets me see the bird with my left eye's peripheral vision if it comes out of the house under the barrel. This way I don't feel I need to hold a low gun like many 1-eyed shooters. I do sometimes wonder if I'm kidding myself though. I just don't feel like investing a couple thousand targets to see if I can learn the low gun style and do better.

-Gary

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I'm a one eyed shooter who always wants to see the target come above the barrel so I may bring my barrel up and through the target while always having a clear view of the target. To do this, my barrel has to be on or below the trap house.

Watch Nora Ross or other top one eyed shooters.

Surfer

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I know. I know.

-Gary

10. Unknown1

Nora is now teaching the "one foot up and one foot out" eye hold technique. Frank Hoppe and Phil Kiner, among others, have been telling one-eye shooters for several years that they can see the targets moving more slowly if they see them appear from under a gun barrel held up than from under the trap house roof.

Keller

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Keller: Please elaborate in detail. Are you saying that what I described aligns with what they are teaching?

Thanks,

Gary

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I put it on the outside altho' I don't suppose it'd make much difference?

13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I took a seminar from Phil a year ago and I don't recall him saying anything other than you find where your hold point alows you to see the target best. He did say for one eyed shooter a lower hold seems best. I've only seen Nora on film and from what I saw she was down on the house and really the same for many of Kiner's shots on his video. It always gets back to what works best you, not me or anyone else.

Surfer

14. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I use a small dot on my glasses that only blocks the front sight. I have gone to holding a high gun and can see the target come out below my barrel. It only takes a slight move to the bird. I am being more successful with this technique. It works for me. Mark

15. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Keller: Please elaborate in detail. Are you saying that what I described aligns with what they are teaching?"</i></blockquote>Nora still has students hold on the edge of the house; that's how she shoots and that's what she teaches. But where she used to used to teach that you "peek just over the edhe of the roof like yer looking for a turkey to poke his heads up" she has changed to recommending that the eye hold be elevated above the house roof by a foot or more (coupled with the thousand yard stare) so the target appears as less of a streak.

Both Phil and Frank now recommend that the barrel be held above the roof of the house (much the same way as a 2-eyed shooter does) and that the target be allow to first appear from under the barrel instead of under the roof. I have been holding on average a barrel's diameter above the edge of the roof (my barrel blocks the edge of the roof) and looking out above that and have been really amazed at how clear the targets are and how slow they appear to be moving when they appear ffrom under the barrel.

Keller

16. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"I took a seminar from Phil a year ago and I don't recall him saying anything other than you find where your hold point alows you to see the target best."</I></blockquote>Phil doesn't use a script for his classes. He works with each student individually. What he goes into depth on in one seminar might not get the same play in the next. If you speak up about a problem you think you have he'll work with you to find a solution. He doesn't try to read minds.

He and Frank HAVE discussed the high hold/look for one-eyed shooters in articles they have written for Trap and Field.

Keller

17. targetchip

targetchip Banned User Banned

For those that the dot or tape is a distraction and causes headaches and other side effects the answer is the XD Solution, a new concept for eye cross dominance and cross firing

"I have always shot either one eyed or with some form of vision blocking device for my off eye. I have tried magic dots, scotch tape, an optical occluder, and a black lens. Now after trying the XD Solution I have to say it is the very best and most comfortable device for solving the problem of cross firing I have ever tried. Everything seems so much brighter than with tape or anything else on the lens of my glasses.

I feel that anyone that has a problem with cross firing should consider trying the XD Solution."
    — Bud Edwards

"I bought one of your first units, put it on and broke a 98. Haven't started shooting yet this year. Your system works better then tape on my glasses. I can use both eyes again, after a number of years with a cross firing problem your system just might be the answer. Thanks for a new product that is for sale at a reasonable price."
    — Jerry

I tested the XDS for the first time today.....First some background.......

I normally shoot with tape on my left lens. About 1 1/2" along the top of the lens.

Today, I had very good results using the XDS for the first time. I had to play around with the position of the bracket and the size of the blinder but I shot better scores and had consistently better breaks than I've been getting recently. This could be a game changer for me as it was nice not to have tape on my lens while at the range. Most importantly, I enjoyed the time in between shots where I didn't have look through tape while waiting for my squadmates to shoot. My eyes felt more relaxed and natural during the entire 12-14 minutes of the round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.