1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

tape for side of bbl to keep from getting burned?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I put my thumb up on the side of the barrel when i'm shooting, and when i'm shooting doubles, in a shootoff, or practicing by myself, the barrels get quite hot, to the point where I have to slow down so my thumb doesn't get burnt. I'm thinking that if I put a piece of tape on the barrel where i put my thumb, it may provide a little insulation, but I don't want to put something on thats going to end up as a gooey mess after a few hundred targets, but I don't want anything that can't be removed either. Any thoughts?

2. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wear gloves

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Not sure where exactly you mean, but I have that trouble from the forend hardware when I shoot doubles. I've been using the double-sided foam poster "tape". It's about 1/8" thick X 1" wide and does the job insulating. I trim it to fit with an Xacto knife. I also re-inforce it with some clear packing tape, though the clear tape is bothered by the heat and needs replacement fairly often. It's not the prettiest (guess I could hit it with a black Sharpie), but I don't feel anything with this setup. I'm sure your barrel gets hotter than my forend iron. Keep the gun open as much as possible, even in the rack between rounds. Good luck.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

glove, or put the tape on your finger. LOL Break-em all. JEff

5. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

you might try using a peice of velcro. The soft half of velcro will give you cushion for your finger and keep your finger from getting burnt. I have seen this used many times, both as a marker for consistant hand placement and to keep from burning your ringers. This method is very inexpensive and the velcro is easily removed if you ever want to sell the gun. hope I could help. BYG

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I would think most types of adhesive backings would give out under the conditions your describing and allow slippage. I think a golf glove is what you need on that hand as others have stated.

Sidebar. From many years of personal experience that eventually you can get a significant enough calice that even though you may still notice the heat exchange, the intensity will go unnoticed.

7. rdf59

rdf59 Member

You could consider Welders gloves and a face mask or glass blowers gloves.

I think your best bet would be Browning gloves that have the open mesh in the back and a very thin, synthetic material for the portion that would touch the barrel. I use them when I shoot doubles and they work very well.

They are the thinnest gloves giving you good feel of the gun yet they insulate the burn.

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Get some high temp silicone seal. Use that as an adhesive to attach a strip of as thick a piece of insulation as you need to protect your hand from the heat. As I'm sure you know that silicone is used to attach add-on ribs to barrels, and it is very easy to remove without damaging the barrel in any way.

9. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Skeet Man

Heres another ugly solution hardware stores carry silver high temperature tape for seams on woodstove ducts,

Craby

10. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I've cut the thumb off an older pair of thin leather gloves.

I wear just that thumb piece.

11. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Unless he has huge thumbs, he may get a better fit by using one of the fingers from a leather work glove.

Lister

12. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

don't listen to the unwashed above. my son uses plain scotch tape on the barrel to achieve the very thing you experience.

use several layers taped over each other - up to 5-6 layers, make the length about 3 inches.

works like a charm as insulation.

it also has the benefit of ensuring you place your hand in the exact same place every time you mount.

wipe down the area on the barrel with alcohol and let dry. apply tape and your good to go. if it comes off after repeated use then you can make another one very easily.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

And don't forget to wash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooters put tape on barrels