1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tape across(or most)of your glasses top edge or...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Phil Kiner, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

If you go to my website and send me an email I would be glad to either send you my number or call yours so I can explain what I have learned over the years. Phil

2. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

NSXER. Sent you a PM.

Squirrel

3. mirage1

mirage1 Member

Phil,
    I can not get your website to come up-I would be interested in talking to
    you about this subject as well.

Thanks,
    Joe

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Phil is the expert on this topic but you have to use the link above because the other link has trapshooters.com concatenated to it.

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

A friend's reason for taping the top half of his left eye lens was that with a small piece of tape he would catch himself trying to look around the tape.

Jason

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

That sneaky ol' off eye will try to peek around the tape if you make the patch too small.

John C. Saubak

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I hate tape or dots on glasses. Way too distracting. I went with a Uni-Dot instead and never looked back.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have had great success at looking under a small piece of tape on my left lens and missing left hand birds. Anyone with cross dominance can learn how to do this. It is a fine way to change a potential score of 100 into a 99. I consider myself to have some expertise on this way of missing targets.

Pat Ireland

9. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I went thru this for a long time. I used the dots and also ended up trying to visually look around the dot. Britt Robinson suggested I put a piece of tape on top of the lens completely across the top. I did this and problem solved. I use the translucent type about 3/4 in. wide. Hope this helps, Roy

10. deadeyedukewannabe

deadeyedukewannabe TS Member

I developed cross eye dominance last year and it sucks. I started out with a sticker dot covering a small area on my glasses lens, but I soon found out that unconciously, I would tilt or tip my head so that my left eye could see around the dot. I eventually had to completely cover my left lense with tape so there was no way to see around it. I'm not sure if that's a good thing though.....

11. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well shooting for some 16 years with some type of left eye block should give me the chance to post. I bought my first pair of "dots" from Mr. Brown himself. Now I shoot with a one inch wide tape across my lens.....Yes if the dot is not on just perfect you will and can look around. If you truely have a strong eye dominance problem you have to go to the extreme. How is mine?? Every season near the end when I have shot the bulk of my targets. I pick a nice day at my local club and take off my glasses and mount my gun. It is just amazing to me that not once have I ever looked at anything but the left side of the gun!!!!!

GS

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

deadeyedukewannabe- I am curious about your comment "I developed cross dominance last year". I was under the impression that eye dominance, like hand dominance, was established by birth and is probably genetically controlled.

Pat Ireland

13. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

I too am struggling with "cross dominance. It sometimes causes me to have a forearm flinch. I did a search and read all of the post's regarding this. I have just ordered Phil Kiners DVD as I understand it addresses this problem quite a bit.

I have tried the dot and some tape but, I didn't stay with it long enough. I am now at the point that I have to address and correct this problem.

Jerry Walker

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Pat,

This is just MY opinion, FWIW;

If you're not STRONGLY dominant in either eye, your eye dominance can indeed change..........depending on which eye is focusing the sharpest, maybe not a truly "eye dominance" issue but the results are the same (off eye points the gun) "LOST"

John C. Saubak

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Got me to thinking......

Occasionally while shooting doubles, mostly on posts 1 & 2, second target (the left angle) it'll seem like I never got a very good visual "lock" on the target usually resulting in "DEAD LOST". I'm cross dominant enuf' that I use a 3/4" square magic tape strategically placed on my left lens that pretty well blocks out the front half of the gun.

I've always thought this doubles problem I described resulted from getting in too much of a hurry? Maybe instead......my left eye is occasionally picking up the second target before the right eye and trying to point the gun???? Maybe I need a bigger patch of tape?

John C. Saubak

16. tj303

tj303 Member

There is no doubt about it...eye dominance can change. It happened to me after twenty five years of shooting. It took me several years to understand way I was missing targets that looked "right" but didn't break. A dot saved my shooting. I did use a Uni-Dot but didn't like the light pipe getting obscured by rain or snow.

17. tj303

tj303 Member

Nice article on eye dominance in sport. http://www.texasarchery.org/Documents/articleeyedominance.pdf

18. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I also went from 2 eyes open to having black tape accross 3/4 of my lense(top) and the bottom 1/4 with translucent tape.Itried trans.tape in small amounts first and my left eye would look around it.I tried taping the entire lense,and it still seemed like my eye was trying to look threw it.Phil kiner said that some people will need to use black tape instead.I was ready to give up on tape when just for fun,I covered my left lense with one of my glasses blinders with the black towards the eye,and the bottom still had the trans. tape on it.I started to read the angles better and hit the targets better than I ever did without the tape.I have been getting scores ever sense.I talked to Phil as he was leaving work one day on the way to pick up his granddaughter I beleive.He talked to me for at least 20 minutes and then he told me to call him back a little while later and talked about vision and cross firing.I never met him butI want to thank him for his time and help.

joe

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Pat....

Eye dominance determined at birth? That's a good question which I'll ask my ophalmologist friend, however, in the interim I'll relate my story.

Due to some medical related problems and age, I gave up drinking beer in January of 2005 and the 1st shoot I attended after my lifestyle change was in late March....well, I couldn't have hit you if you were standing on the trap house. My score that day was a 108 x 200....my average before that was 97% +/- and I had always been a 2 eyed shooter.....

Some serious testing/checking revealed that I was now left eye dominant....

I started with the dot.....began playing peek-a-boo, finally just settled in with the 3/4" translucent scotch tape across the top of the entire lens. Do I like it? Hell no, drives me nuts. I have attempted to shoot without tape, however, the results were less than satisfactory.

For me, the eye dominance occurred sometime in early 2005 (for whatever reason) and I have had to adjust. With the left lens taped, my average is back to over 97%.

As I said, I do not like the taped lens, but......what option do we have? I have just ordered the "Easyhit" sights, which may or may not enhance my scores???

Good luck to all:

Curt

20. otnot

otnot Active Member

Well I guess I have found the best reason of all not to quit drinking beer! I would rather my liver quit working than my eyes. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

phil kiner tape on glasses