1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tankless water heaters ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pj 999, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Thinking of having gas tank less water heater installed. Anybody have one ?? Good idea/bad idea. Also thinking of the gas power vent model. Putting on new roof and only item using old chimney is the 15 year old water heater. Thinking on removing chimney all together. Thanks Paul

2. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Thanks Pat, I always forget to check the search section first. Anybody got any other help, lay it on me. Thanks Paul

3. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Buy the Rinnai & get rid of the chimney. It vents out the sill.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

In Europe they use a central tankless HW heater.. very effective..never runs out of hot water..and can also be used to heat a home..

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

It seems to me that a "on call" room unit would be more efficient than a whole house unit. Right, wrong or in between?

6. Butler

Butler TS Member

where I live tankless Renai top of the line model water heaters start around 2000 and go up,....A 50 gallon electric is around 450, A power vent Rheem 50 gallon around 900, all plus installation, depending on costs of propane/natural gas, or electric I think the gas power vent is the best way to go, no matter what u install it's not going to last forever and the renai, although it is a great unit it is pricey to install and replace. Butler

7. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Paul,
    any time you eliminate a chimmney its like closing a window in your home( your are slowing down the drafts)What are you heating your home with now? If it is a boiler you may want to inquire abot a indirect hot water heater, very nice option the hot water heater is considerd a zone. P.M.if you would like?
    Jim

8. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Have a new gas furnace. Doing research on the water heaters. Looking like a gas power vent one will do me. Thanks to all, Paul

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Our unit is in the basement.. so the vent is not an issue.. All hot water lines were changed to 3/8" ID.. flex copper... The heating is from about 3/4" at the bottom to 3/8" copper on the 3rd floor.. our bill runs about 80 Euro in the winter months.. Yep.. natural gas is expensive in Europe.. Oh.. that's every 3 months.. not monthly.. Now.. we don't keep the house hot..normally.. about 66 degrees.. and our "hot" water is set on 130 degrees..showers are short.. The biggest cost of the heater is the CO sensor.. It seems to fail about every 2 years.. at a cost of $120 Euro installed..

10. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Keep in mind conventinial hot water heaters ( tank type) life expecteancy is 10 years on average, where a tankless is probley 20+ that may add a wrinkle?
    Jim

11. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Going to price both tankless and power vent and weigh it out, chimney definitly going to hit the ground. Thanks Paul

12. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Two questions to ask...

1) - How far from the use point are you placing the heater?

Tankless heaters - owing to their size - can be placed very close to the use point, whereas traditional heaters need a lot of space.

If you have a large distance between use and storage points the tank-less can save $$ relative to 'heating' the pipes as you use water (i.e., how long do you wait for the hot water to arrive at the spigot?).

2) - How much and how often will you use the hot water?

If you use a LOT of hot water - and do so often the large tank MIGHT be better, if you use small quantities of hot water, and/or do so infrequently then the tankless unit will repay at a quicker rate.

You need to look at the cost of the units over time as well as the cost to run each unit. There will be a break even point where one will be more attractive than the other. You need to get out the calculator...

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Tankless really provides the cost savings when you get into high demand periods. We use tankless heaters at the plant for providing hot water to the change room showers. Huge savings, both initial capital and operating costs, over coventional tank type heaters. As you go down in scale to the typical household, the tankless cost advantages get smaller but as someone else mentioned, you can expect a significantly longer service life with a tankless heater. I think that has to do with the fact that the tankless units don't accumulate nearly as much calcium carbonate (lime scale).

If you do decide on a tankless unit, also consider a solar preheater. I have a friend that went that route and the fuel demand of his tankless heater is incredibly low, usually his nat. gas bill is just a service charge.

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I just built a new home and have a propane power vent tankless unit. I love it. I have a 2100sq foot Colonial and no problem with hot water delays or demand. Endless hot water. The gas line going to it is bigger than the furnace line. Very Quite. Get one. Dave T.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Longer life.. yes.. cheaper.. longer life???????????????????? there is alot of electrics in a tankless HWH.. not just a thermocouple..and a gas valve.. With the CO and O2 sensors.. it gets complicated..Well.. at least to me..AND parts and Tech's are expensive.. that might come down in the upcomming years..

16. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Alos check for rebates. There are some out there. Dave T.

17. sstella

sstella TS Member

I bought one a year ago. An American unit it is a Renai. My gas bill went down to $13 from $50/ month. I have never run out of hot water with all of the sinks and tub running. One of the best investments I have ever made. My only comment is watch out for the input gass pipe size It need to be better than an inch with nothing else on that line. The y kick on at 250000 BTU and drop down depending on the hot water demand.

18. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Good input and comments. Doing research and cost comparisons. Thanks and keep comments etc coming. Thanks Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.