1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tankless water heater??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Thinking of installing one.. with 4 women in the house i'm tired of cold showers..lol
    Not sure which to get..electric or propane.. thanks!!

2. EEB

EEB Member

We had an Insta-Hot brand electric tankless water heater for 7 years. They are great when they work. Stay away from the electric ones. They require a lot of juice and if one of the four women in your house is running a hair dryer/space heater, etc. in the bathroom while the shower is going you will trip a circuit and the thing shuts itself off. We replaced it twice under warrenty and I finally took it out and put an old-fashioned electric water heater in. They are also expensive. Save yourself some money and put a timer on the shower, or take your shower first.

Ed Blake

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I would think Propane? On electric you would need a minium of a 100 to 150 amp circut minium just to serve that circut.

4. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Running the gas line is very expensive. Ron

5. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

they also need maintanance - you are supposed to flush them with some chemical
    beacause the heat so fast you get lots of scale build up

kevin

6. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

If you live where the winter water temp is below 60 One will not raise the temp may take two to get the water temp you want 50 degrees is about what they are able to rise the water temp. Check with local people to see how and what they install. Tom

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I'd think it would be cheaper in the long run if you kept the hot water heater you already have and get rid of a couple of the women in the home??? Might be quieter around the castle as well!!! Just a thought!!! break em all JEff

8. GGib

GGib TS Member

As already pointed out..
    You'll need 110 power.
    You'll also need a GOOD supply of gas, that is you'll need a large diameter gas line with good pressure. Use a normal size gas line and you'll end up getting less than advertised heat.

Also, tankless is great for supplying one outlet but if you use it for 3 or 4 outlets at the same time, it won't get the water hot enough.

I have tank heater that supplies washer/dryer, two bathrooms and kitchen, no problem with large volume short time. Then I have a tankless to supply one bathroom at the far end of the house.

9. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi blkcloud, my brother rick sells those waterheater for a company called ferguson in denver area. you might give him a call for advice , lit, and soforth. rick hubbart 303-320-4833 during regular work hours. doug hubbart

10. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear BlkCloud,
    DO NOT USE AN ELECTRIC TANKLESS WITH hard water.Very short life due to scale buildup. Check the gallons per minute output spec. on any heater you consider. I have a 5.0 GPM (Bosch)electric (three 60 AMP breakers) with soft water and it works great for two people .....one year so far, but do not turn a fixture when your wife is taking a shower! And I have 3/4 inch copper supply lines thru out our home.

A natural gas or propane tankless is the way to go for 4 women etc. You will need a lot more than 5.0 GPM for 4 ladies.....Read the specs on GPM output before you buy. My Bosch electric was $1200 for materials. Gas units are more expensive (for the unit) but have the output nec. to maintain suff. hot water....if sized properly. Respectfully Submitted....Ex-Jet Boat Bill

11. Carl Spackler

Carl Spackler TS Member

Lets be clear here - scale has no regard for heating source. If you have poor water quality, scale is going to be an issue, gas fired or electric. It just so happens that electric heaters are typically used in instances where venting is an issue or undesired. Using small electric on-demand heaters under sinks is a great application that does not need venting.....just good water quality.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We installed a couple of propane fired on-demand water heaters in our plant change rooms and have been very pleased with the performance in the two years we have been running them. We never run out of hot water and at times there may be 12 to 16 showers running.

Don't worry about the summer vs winter thing - water only gets so cold and if you aren't freezing your pipes up anywhere then you obviously are doing that part of the supply correctly. Go with the gas fired heater by all means - this is where you will see the biggest return on your investment.

Size the unit for how many showers/use points that you could possibly have going at the same time. The number of people in the house is irrelevant as is the duration of the showers or number of showers per day.

13. ctreay

ctreay Member

I am on my second oil-fired 35 gal waterheater. I bought the first one used(2 yrs old)it lasted 12 years. My present one was installed in 1980 still going strong. We had two children that loved to die in the shower. Laundry,dishes and mother and my showers. You can NOT run these things out of hot water, the more you run it the hotter it gets. I'll grant you they are not cheap close to $700. for the last one. I'll have another when this one goes up. The first one was a LYNN brand made in Mass, the one we have now is a STATE brand.

ctreay

14. build4u

build4u Member

I build larger custom homes in Michigan. I started putting in tankless hot water heaters ten years ago. Ranaii is normally the first choice. We have not had to service one yet in ten years. They recognize a drop in water pressure to turn on so the wait is a little longer than you are used to, however you will not run out of hot water. they can be sized large enough to run a hotel.They will handle multi head showers when sized correctly. The drawback is if you have a recirculating system for instant hot water,you have to put a 5 gallon electric to run the recirculating line that is then fed by the tankless. A company named Navaain came out with a tankless that has a small on board tank and recirculating pump. There reliability is up from the early models. Ranaiis warranty is like .001%. They both draw in thier own combustion air burned in a sealed combustion chamber preventing the risk of carbon dioxide poisening. I have two subdivisions one on well and one on city water, scaling has been a non existent issue here in both locations. On a well the output goes down a little because of the colder water temp coming into the unit. Correct installation is critical and one problem can be making sure the gas line is correctly sized especially on a replacement. The btu requirement is way higher. Have it installed correctly and you will not regret it, the life cycle of new conventional water heaters is way down.

15. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Build4u knows what he is talking about. Have the same unit in my house. Works great, never runs out of hot water. jw

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I have a Rheem tankless that was built in 1934, and was working until we took it out in 1998

I built the water heater we now have, it's a coax heat exchanger that uses the discharge gas from the compressor in the ground source heat pump I built last spring, very low priced hot water in the winter, and in the summer we make money heating the water, because the exchanger increases the efficiency of the system

It's been in less than 1 year, and has paid for it's self twice already

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.