1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tall sight vs. tall rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nov 11, 2010
    About 40 miles west of Chicago, IL
    I'll start by stating that I am delighted with my new rib and comb. I'm getting comfortable with it and my scores show it.

Having stated that, I can't help but wonder if a shotgun actually needs a rib that runs from the muzzle. What would happen if a shooter added a tall sight in the front- and maybe something at the mid-point? It seems that it would be very light and accomplish the same as the full length bar. With minimal engineering the setup could be almost infinitely adjustable.

As I know I'm not the first person to have this thought, I present it to the rest of you to tell me what I'm missing.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The late Floyd Nattrass father of Susan invented the Nattrass Super Sighter which was basically an elevated front bead. Floyd was a two eyed shooter and a very good rifle shooter but when age gave him blurred vision he still wanted to compete and hold a high gun over the trap house without the barrel and rib obscuring his view of the target. The elevated front bead served his purpose but you had to have a perfect stock fit and check the POI with bore sighting and it was very difficult to use just the comb of the stock as a rear sight with no visual reference of looking down or over the rib.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.