1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Talk yourself out of 100 straight!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I shot yesterday and on the squad before me a man had finished with a 100 straight. I knew this because he is a friend of mine and also it was a small shoot. Well I had a 75 straight going into my Last round, I went out and started on sta 4 and moving thru the first 20 broke them all, So Now I'm coming up to sta 3 with a 95 and 5 to go so I start thinking hey this will be easy and I will be in a shootoff with my buddy no problem. My first 2 targets on 3 were straight aways easy right? I missed the first 2 straightaways and fimished with a 98. How does a person talk theirself out of a match or 100 straight? I know it was mental. It still is bothering me today.

2. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

It appears you started thinking about the next event rather than what would get you there. Concentrate on the task at hand rather than "anything" else. As you well know now, if you don't break the next target you don't need to worry about the shootoff, the record book or anything else. I would hate to admit how many times I was straight at the last post and then ended with a 97,98,or 99. It hurts. I recently purchased the CD set by Lanny Bassham advertised in T&F and ran my first hundred in doubles about 2 months after. It is hard to change old habits but his info made sense and it works. Here's another factoid for you: You could probably read that same advice here in these threads but when you pay money for it, it seems to work better. LOL. Best of luck in your shooting future.

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

When I was younger I would miss the 25th, now I miss the 100th. You have to shoot each one. One at a time.

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

You were living in the future by thinking about the shootoff. Read ALL those little articles in trap and field by Phil and Frank. Add them all together and you have a $300.00 clinic. John

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Take pride in the fact that probably 95% of posters on trapshooters.com never got closer to a hundred straight than you did. Next time your that close to perfection think with your eyes-not your brain.

Also, don't consider yourself a top shooter until you've missed the last target for a hundred at least once!!

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

oleolliedawg- I have missed the last target for a 99 twice. Once this year. Can I now consider myself to be a top shooter?

targetmaster- I have to work harder on the last 10 targets than the first 90 when I am straight. I don't think it is possible to block out the knowledge that you are straight. The few times I get into that position, I enjoy the fact that I am straight and do what I can to convince myself to work hard and keep my head down. It is always somewhat of a relief to see that last target break.

Pat Ireland

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

its always easier to get the rest after a miss. Usually on about the third trap for me.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Pat, your 95+ Singles average puts you above most but certainly not the best. Having watched Frank Little do the same thing at my club I feel honored to be in that lofty category several times.

Take comfort in the fact that most shooters never get the opportunity to only miss the last target!!

9. Oldman1949

Oldman1949 Banned User Banned

Do you wear a shooting vest with a zipper on it ?

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LOL, I did almost the same thing just today! I was 92 straight and was watching,trying to figure out why the two guys I shot wih were missing toward the last. Thinking wind playing tricks, I took a real good look at two in a row, getting a better look by raising my head? :) Hap

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

First time I broke a 200 straight was at the California state shoot in the class singles event. I was a class A shooter at the time. When I had run the first 165 or so I could feel my stomach getting tight. I was shooting with a very good friend who was an excellent AA shooter. He had dropped a couple to that point. I started not hitting them all that well. My buddy who knew how much this meant to me was so nervous he dropped two more. I realized I was on the verge of screwing this up. I just told myself to keep my head down a "dead center" each bird. I got back in the center of them. I just kept that thought. "dead center." It worked out. Just take em' one at a time. "Dead center." Jake

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Richard, I sent you an email with my phone number. That was pretty darned good shooting Sunday guy! Hap

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

zarathrusta- Yes, you get much credit. I hope it was not on the first 50 of a handicap event and you played the 50's option. And, I hope you shot a 99. I cannot explain why, but I am convinced that there are several targets difference between 99 and 100.

Pat Ireland

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Zara,

She could tell by the look on your face that you were in a slump and gave you the old, " adjust the glasses" routine just to be nice and help you out. LOL.

15. jbshep

jbshep Member

Went 99 straight seven (7) times before I got 100. Five of those 99's were caused by a miss on the last station! It's all in your (my) head. Solution: shoot the last station first!

16. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

The times I have ran 100 straight which i havent this year ! Is when I would slow down the speed ! Look hard and want to run them . Then at the very end keep it slow ! LOOK at each target . Shoot each Target ! This one is the one to break each TIME ! Stay as Clam as you can . EACH TARGET !

Pat Kelley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.