1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Talk me out of updating from Vista to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 29, 2016.

1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've recently updated a couple laptops to Windows 10 just because I could (one was XP, one was 7). The one running 7 needed a fresh install anyways, and it was easier to go to 10 than to re-do 7.

So far with limited use I'm not seeing any downsides, both seem to be running as good or better than before. I find the old style interface easier to work with right now, but definitely like some features 10 offers.

I am very tempted to update my vista-run desktop too, but am a little hesitant since I have a bunch to backup and it's the comp I use 99.9% of the time. Only concern was getting my ancient thermal label printer to run on 10, since it was a bear to make work in vista, but I followed a youtube video and was up and running in less time than the first setup (and making better labels LOL).

Any reason not to upgrade? I know vista was not Microsofts best effort, so I doubt 10 would be a step back. Worst case I still have my Vista disks and could go back, but it would mean a ton of wasted time backing up, installing, uninstalling, ect.

2. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Do you NEED to or just want to?

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Little of both. My desktop is long overdue for a fresh install either way, so sometime soon it's either install 10 or reinstall vista (which I can do for free either way). I've been toying with the idea of buying a new comp, but this one is still sufficient, only thing a new one could really do better for me is probably stream videos a little better.

4. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I was hesitant at first but have found I like 10 just fine. So far, I have not found any downside.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Window 10 won't shut down. went back to 7 after switching a couple times.

6. broadway john

broadway john Well-Known Member

Check the specs on your machine to be sure it is capable of running 10.

7. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Make sure ALL your expensive programs will run in win10. It is a serious pain in the ass having to buy the upgrades for AutoCAD and the Photoshop Suite plus other authoring/editing software. It is a serious pain in the ass having to replace flatbed filmstrip scanners and drawing machines too.

8. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I tried 10 on are home Computer but it didn't work..... we went back to windows 8.
    I was told if I want 10 buy a new computer with it on it.

9. pcrannel

pcrannel Active Member

Apparently you like Win 10. The biggest draw back for you would be existing software and equipment. The companies you bought from are not going to produce new drivers because they want you to buy new stuff. Micro$oft won't produce them because they don't care.

Personally, I think the user interface of Win 10 is abysmal. The bundled programs (now called apps) are not functional unless you want to sign up for a Micro$oft account so they can track everything you do. I have it on my laptop . I did the free upgrade to see what it was like. I will not put it on my desktop machine. If the laptop ever crashes, I will re-install Win 7. Windows is getting like Mac. They want everyone to do the same thing as long as it's what the company wants. I prefer to retain some control.

10. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

I have a computer that came with vista that had a free upgrade to 7. Worked all right, then I did the win 10 upgrade and the computer is working the best it every has. It is 2 GZ, 221 GB and 3GB.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

If you do upgrade, don't forget to upgrade your drivers too.

Also, Windows10 is probably much better than your old Vista.

Hauxfan!

ric3677 thanked this.
  12. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Anyone know when/if MS plans another upgrade beyond Windows 10?

Thanks,
    Jon Reitz

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Vista was perhaps the WORST O/S Microsoft ever made.

Definitely go to 10

Some do not like the 'tablet' style interface that 10 ships with. Takes a little getting used to, or if you truly hate it there are third party apps that give you an interface/desktop just like Windows 7.

Not sure if this is the 'best' way, but it gives you the idea..

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  14. Bluegoose

Bluegoose Active Member

Vista was horrible and I really dislike Windows 10. If I had a touch screen, I might have a different opinion of 10.

What I hate about Microsoft products is that after any new release, I have to spend an inordinate amount of time looking for utilities, settings, etc. and in the final analysis, I've gained very little functionality.

15. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

ALT-F4

Tripod thanked this.
  16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

10 was great, then a bit tricky and then with automatic upgrades 10 is a no brainer for me. I might be getting computer "smarter", but too I think 10 is a bit more intuitive.

And I do not have any experience with Vista. My wife had it and we got her off it as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

17. pcrannel

pcrannel Active Member

Yeah, I did that. Makes it "look" better, but it still isn't 7. I don't like the updates without your permission or knowledge. If my current machine craps out, I may have to learn Linux.

You may also want to consider this. Massive Windows 10 News Hides 5 Nasty Surprises

18. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

pcrannel,

I don't disagree, but given a choice between Vista and 10 I would still go with 10.

19. DustyOne60

DustyOne60 Active Member

Two laptops a desk top and a thermal printer?
    Way dated operating systems? Vista initial hardware requirements include 20 gigabyte hard drive and 512mb ram.

Today we have 256 gigabyte jump drives, multi-terabyte hard drives in laptops, 8 gigabyte ram.

You're probably limited pretty much to searching the web and email.

Do yourself a favor in the new year and upgrade to current configurations. A single contemporary MS Windows laptop will hold everything you have or everything you will ever have.

Dusty

JACK thanked this.
  20. BryanF

BryanF Active Member

Here's what Microsoft says you need to run Windows 10:
    • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
    • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    • Free hard disk space: 16 GB.
    • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.
    • A Microsoft account and Internet access.