1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Talk about luck........

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grntitan, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Why can't I ever find stuff like this?

Karl Kissner picked up a soot-covered cardboard box that had been under a wooden dollhouse in his grandfather’s attic. Taking a look inside, he saw hundreds of baseball cards bundled with twine. They were smaller than the ones he was used to seeing.

But some of the names were familiar: Hall of Famers Ty Cobb, Cy Young and Honus Wagner.

More of the story at the link above.

Here are some of the cards in truely amazing condition:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Too bad it wasn't years ago when they would have brought more.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think based soley on condition these may do better then the experts have predicted. Condition is everything in the collectible market and these are supposed to be the cats meow in that aspect.

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Went back to my mothers house after getting married and looked for my old baseball cards from the 50`s and 60`s that I hidden in the attic. 2 shoe boxes full. Turns out they had a garage sale that year and my sister sold them all for a penny a piece . Good deal for the buyer . Must have been worth a few thousand then !!! All mint by the way -- NY Yankees, NY Dodgers, NY Giants and Boston Red Socks . My father also sold an Old Town Canoe for $75 , a like new WW 1 45 that was slightly used that belonged to his brother for $25 and 2 old hammer Damascus shotguns that I wish I still had . I think they said $5 each ??

5. lc

lc TS Member

A guy in North Carolina went to a garage sale and bought a new Silver Seitz for $500.00. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I know a guy who bought a complete set of golf clubs for $25.

He saw the ad in the local Pennysaver and ran over to the address.

Beautiful set with bag and everything, so he asked the woman "Was that price a mistake and you meant $250?"

She said "My boyfriend ran off with another gal, then he called me and asked if I would sell his stuff and send him the money!"

7. tachyon

tachyon Member

My mom kept all my high school history notes and threw away my baseball cards including a whole pile of pre war cards my uncle gave to me. Two complete sets of Goudey 1933 cards, a complete 1934 set with many duplicates.

I have a couple of E98 cards. This find is amazing. "Before the find, the highest grade ever achieved by an E98 Ty Cobb was PSA NM 7. A single copy reached that level after 21 years in business," said PSA President Joe Orlando in a press release. "To put this find in proper perspective, this discovery produced 16 PSA Mint 9 E98 Cobb cards alone."

16 Mint Cobb cards!!!!!!

8. MR870

MR870 Member

I once saved a friend from selling 5 Sweet Sixteens(consecutive serial numbered with 2 vent rib barrels apiece)for $25 dollars,yes $25 dollars,a piece at her yard sale.Best divorce sale I ever made.I sold them for her for 12k to a specialty dealer and recieved a cut of $2500 for doing it for her.Her ex ran off with a young blonde and she said that cost him big.

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Did I not read somewhere taht this Baseball card collection is figured to bring about 3 Million dollars or more?????

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a friend who goes garage sale shopping every Friday, sat and he made over 100,000 last year on ebay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.