1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking on 2nd Job -- Can I go to the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pdq, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

Ok. I give in. Shells are more expensive, as is gas and lodging. So -- instead of bitching and moaning, I've grabbed the bull by the horms and I have a plan that I've now executed on.

A few months ago I started taking on a 2nd job. I write business plans and investor offering documents for small companies trying to expand, create jobs, go public, but need to raise money to do so. I like seeing jobs being created. I like seeing small companies being successful. My rate is $250/hour with a minimun of 10 days or $20,000 per document.

I just completed my first assignment, been paid, and by word of mouth I have another company interested.

I fugure that if I can do 1 of these every 2 months in addition to my day job I'll be able to afford to go to the Grand, which I've never done before.

That's about $60,000 before taxes in extra money, which will be about $40,000 after taxes.

A question to the List -- I know everyone is concerned about how expensive the Grand is getting -- will $40,000 cover it, or should I plan to only shoot part of the week?

Maybe if I shot 3/8ths reloads with re-used wads?

Pete
    4/1/10

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

<a href="http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm301/ecshooter/?action=view&current=fisherman5.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

ss

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Push the keyboard away, put the drink down, and go to bed

4. setter

setter Member

For $20,000 I have the answer!

5. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Absolutely positively the best cast yet this year,,,,pdq,,you da man,,,

6. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Crack Kills..

FRedmon

Should be "pds"

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

As long as you stick with reloads, and take your own food and drinks, you ust might be able to make it.

But, stay out of the vendor's area, as you won't have enough money to buy anything. So there is no use checking out there guns and wares. ;)

Hauxfan!

8. guerini

guerini TS Member

Maybe just sleep in your truck/car/ or van. Huge savings, pack a cooler full of Kentucky round steak sandwiches, and 7 cases of beer.

Bologna= $2.75

Bread= $3.50

7 cases of beer= PRICELESS...

Have fun, hopefully I will be their taking home the $100,000 if not, I'll have fun with the beer anyways...

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I write trip itineraries and travel plans. Flat fee of $25,000. Send guaranteed funds and I'll get it all set up for you.

10. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Better deal. I will develop a detailed iteniary with documented expendeture procedures, expense alotment per event, daily needs summary and spendable excess for enjoyment.

Written document fee = $15,000.00

Case attached cost = $20,000.00

Net savings = $5000.00

11. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Pete....since your second job is confirmed....It is now MANDATORY that you go to the Grand and by the end of the pre lims if you are not there...the clay target police will arrest you and take you there!...so...you better show!!........Uncle Sam, Pa.

12. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Well Peter I've thought about this quite a bit. I've been to the Vandalia Grand many times but not the one at Sparta.

Sparta, I hear, is very big and let's face it. You're not getting any younger. I'm thinking that with a $20,000 budget you can probably afford someone to carry your gun or guns. I can do that for you. All I'll need is food, lodging, entry fees to all events and shells. Real shells, not those crappy GunClubs.

Not a big deal for a man of your increasingly greater means. Please get back to me ASAP so I can book my room at the Sparta-Hilton.

Jerry

13. pdq

pdq Member

Jerry:

as always, what a pal. Let's do it. I do need to know a day ahead of time what you'd like for lunch as the crew on the Gulfstream 2 have deadlines.

Will you have your stock finished by then?

The Sparta Hilton? Isn't that the one with the Motel 4 sign outside (used to be Motel 6 but got downgraded)? I'll ask that they give you 2 (clean) towels versus 1.

Pete

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We will pick you up, take you to the Facility, take care of all the entries, options, and shells plus provide first class accomidations and a couple of them Sparta Cuties with or without teeth, then take you back home for the $40K that you have already made ... Book ASAP please so we can try and find some Cuties in Sparta ... He who hesitates ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. pdq

pdq Member

WPT:

You had me ready to write the check -- right up to the point about the Sparta cuties with no teeth. Suddenly, my pen went limp and wouldn't write.

I hate when that happens.

Pete

16. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Pete, the answer is clear.

There's clearly no point in going to the grand since the 27 yarders win everything everytime. Why, I heard last week that Leo not only beat a guy in a handicap shootoff, after he was done he pushed him in a mud puddle, took the guys' Remington 870 plus the two extra shells he carried to the line as spares and wandered off....

Ask around, its all true. Many people on this very site can vouch.

Rumor has it that, at the grand, you're going to have to pay $1450.00 per flat of shells (that's the shells, the sales tax, the health tax, the excise tax, the BO tax, money for graft and bribes, the ATA fee, the NSSA fee, the DNR fee, the state of Ill. governors defense fund and $4 to Jessie Jackson.

This year, the lewis and the purse are mandatory and they are $1,500 each. Per event.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Nah, you'll have to settle for Cardinal Center...

18. Damifino

Damifino Member

OK - have your next assignment. We have this company that is working on an idea. We havent made a profit yet, or actually sold any product. Honestly we haven't made the first article prototype or exactly fine tuned the design. It's more like, well, honestly it's more like a rough draft. We do know it will involve the "information superhighway" and have "extreme" spelled "X-treme" in the name though. We're looking to go public and raise capital so we can purchase Super Bowl advertising air-time to raise the company's profile and position it for a corporate takeover...... WHOA!! Happy days! It's the 90's all over again!!! Woo hoo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.