1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking off adjustable stock, to much trouble 4 me

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Let me first start off by saying that I think adjustable stocks are a great invention. BUT, for some shooters like myself, if you can not just set it once, and leave it alone, you would be better to either cement it down or just get rid of it.

This is the second adjustable stock I have had, as the first one I finally cemented down for good. Recently, I purchased a used trap stock with an ajustable from a guy for only $100.00 as he was experiencing the same thing as I just described. Against my better judgement, I purchased it, and today I sold it.

One week, I would think that I finally have it set, and I swear I will never touch it again. The very next week, I am looking for my allen wrench and making adjustments because I just shot a very bad round. I also gave a guy my Meadown industires "convert a stock pad" with all the spacers. That may work for some, but not for myself.

Now I don't want to here how some of you have had an adjustable for 10 years and you set it once and have never touched it again. I believe that maybe 99.999% of you change that adjustable comb more than you would like to admit.

All it takes for most is one bad score and your looking for the wrenches. Is there ANY ONE out there who honestly once they set it up has never made changes to their adjustable stock? Anyone agree with me, that if you find a stock without the adjustable comb and learn how to shoot it, that you are better off?

Now lets here the stories.
    Steve Balistreri

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I adjust my stock as needed. It may be every few years, it may be every few weeks depending on what I'm working on. Typically minor and easily reversible changes. There have been VERY few times where an adjustment has had a detrimental effect, but many times where it had an immediate and dramatic benefit.

In 2011, a 1/8" addition to the comb immediately resulted in three 398x400s in a row, including two 100x100 in the .410

Never be afraid to try something new, especially if its easy to go back to where you were if it doesn't work out.

3. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Hi I never had a shotgun fitted to me or had an adjustable stock either, but I thought about getting a fit precision for my 1950 model 12 trap gun, but decided to keep my fathers gun the way it was when he bought it. I shoot it with an imaginary rib that is in my mind and got used to doing it so I don't use the excuse that the gun doesn't fit. Every gun I ever owned never fit but I got used to them anyway.
    I watch the trick shooters like Mr. Knapp ( Spelling? ) and he doesn't even mount the gun and still breaks them!! So I enjoy shooting when I can and live with my results. I am not a great shooter but have hit many beer birds and 25 straights.
    My friend swears by the adjustable comb but I never had one. Thanks.

Harry

4. senior smoke

Skeet man:
    You sure sound like you know what you are doing, and you seem like you are a lot better shooter than myself. But, I believe one can not meet his true shooting potential by making changes to his gun. That is like changing to a different gun every time you make a change to your stock. You shot some great scores, but I really wonder if you could be even better than you are if you had a stock that you could not adjust?
    Steve

5. senior smoke

Harry:
    That 1950 model 12 sure sounds like a great gun. You seem to have your head on straight. I believe that there are certain guns that you should not make alterations to like an adjustable stock and choke tubes. Your model 12 is at my top of the list to keep it all orginal.
    Steve

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The biggest mistake most guys make is not recording changes and results..I have a small notebook on every adjustable gun I own so I dont repeat settings that didn't get me what I wanted...and also so I can repeat settings when adjusting for winter/summer...the adjustability was a Godsend when my weight was dropping 15lbs a month

7. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

At 6'4", with long arms and neck, I lengthened my Cynergy 3/4", set the comb ove about 1/8", and left it as low as it will go. The only time it was ever touched was when I took the stock off. It shoots where I look, so why would I change it?

8. senior smoke

Calvin:
    Very good idea.
    Steve

Shooting sailor:
    Now be honest, if you suddenly went into a slump, would you tamper with the adjustable stock?
    Steve

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I watch K and Debby Kayohye shoot---I can't be for sure but the only thing adjustable on their stock is the black electric tape around the grip---
    I think they only adjust to the elements (wind, trap etc)---JMT---SJB

10. skeet_man

southjblue- Kay has both an adjustable comb and a recoil pad adjuster (old Fajen stock). I believe Debbie has the same type of setup.

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Steve...... Here is a story you may find amusing. Many years ago, just before Frank Little passed away, I took a clinic from him at the Redding Gun Club, in Redding, Calif. He gave us a half day of classroom before going out to shoot and set up our guns. One of the things he told us just before we went out was this: "Since you all paid several hundred dollars to take my clinic, I'm going to give you some advice. Always keep a small bottle of OFF in your shooting bag. Just before you go out to shoot, put a little OFF on your rib and you will never be bothered by flying insects while you shoot. That tip alone is worth the price you paid for the clinic, so the rest is free". Now, on to the comb adjusting part. When I took the clinic, I was a AA shooter in singles, having lots of trouble with handicap, but he did not know that. He had us all go to post three and shoot 10 shots. After I shot mine, he came over to me and asked for the wrench for the comb on the KS-5 Special I was shooting at the time. He took the wrench and adjusted the comb up about 1/8th of an inch, or more, tightened it down, and then threw that wrench over the side of the hill next to the trap and told me to never touch the comb again. Well, after we had done everybody, he had us all go out and shoot a round of singles. I think I broke 16 or 17 targets with it and was very depressed. Frank came over to me and told me not to worry about it, I would get better. After the clinic was over and everyone had left, it was getting dark. I raced over to the hill he threw the wrench over and spent about an hour looking for it before I finally found it. Needless to say, I returned the comb to where it was originally and tightened her down. The next day, we started the clinic with a round of singles, which I ran all 25. Frank came over to me and said "See, Dan, I told you you would get used to the new setting". I never told him what I had done, but, you can bet the comb on the K-gun never got adjusted again as long as I had it....... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. us820

us820 Active Member

I will back skeetman.I'm not afraid to tweak.I know what I'm looking for in fit and usually it is a very very minor change.Gaining and losing weight changes gun fit....I went to the PFS from a custom stock.I set it up cold just by mounting the gun.When I thought the PFS felt exactly right,I checked the measurements and they were nearly identical.

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Skeetman---You'r right now that I think about it but never see them do any adjusting but maybe so---Nothing fancy tho---How about the elect tape?---SJB

14. skeet_man

I think the big difference is old school mentality vs new school mentality.

Those of you who started in the 50s/60s/70s came from the school of thought where you bought a gun and started shooting it right out of the box, in essence, you make yourself fit the gun. How many gun clubs across the country had RACKS and RACKS of perfectly identical 870s or Model 12s?? You can't tell me those guns fit everyone who shot them perfectly. You didn't have adjustable combs, adjustable pads, recoil reducers, PFS type stocks, many custom stock makers to choose from, ect, at best, you had the option of another cookie-cutter stock DIY stock (IE Fajen) that may have fit SLIGHTLY better then what came on your gun, certainly not what you'd get out of one of the plethora of custom stock makers today. I firmly believe that this abject lack of properly fitting guns (and the subsequent abuse your body had to endure because of it) is a large part of why shooters have had to switch to release triggers when their body couldn't take the beating anymore.

Those of us who started in the 80s/90s/00s come from the school of thought that you make the gun fit you, either with adjustments, custom stock, or PFS type set up.

Much easier to shoot a gun that fits than one that doesn't.

I'm also firmly of the thought that you can take a gun that doesn't fit, shoot 100k rounds, and get to point X (Route A), or you can take a gun that does fit, shoot 10k rounds, and get to the same point X (Route B). Its a hell of a lot cheaper to go with Route B. Lets face it, if you went out and shot 100 rounds a week from the hip, after a while, you'd get damn good at it, but it still doesn't mean its the right way to shoot.

I've seen some AMAZING shooters who have absolutely atrocious form and style, but they are the guys that shoot 40-50 rounds a week to get there.

Last thought. Say you take a size 12 shoe, but the store you're at is sold out of all size 12 shoes. Would you buy a size 10 and cram your feet into it because that was the easy way out, or would you search around for the right size. Would you prefer an off the rack suit, or one that's custom tailored?

15. senior smoke

Skeet man:
    You bring up some very good points. What I am saying is if I find a stock that fits, and it doesn't have an adjustable on it, I am better off personally than having an adjustable stock that I am always making adjustments on from week to week. For me, it's like changing guns each week.
    Steve

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Well I'm having a custom stock made for my K-gun---cost of over 2gs----I hope it works but I have my doubts---I'm from the old school---If your gun breaks targets from ea station at ea angle and you then miss,it's not the arrow---It's the indian---When I was younger I'd take an off shelf mdl 12 and break many 25s---My body hasn't changed 20 lbs in last 40yrs---My eyes are 20/20 with glasses---I have 5 very good trap guns and still can't do 100 stright.
    I watch the champs---They shoot 3 to 4 times a wk and who knows how many rds.
    I play a-lot of golf---The low handi-caps play 4 times a wk and pratice the rest.----The answer is to be committed---You can tweek all you want---
    Be careful of the guy with one gun and watch his technique---Hrs and hrs of continued shooting is the only way----Once the stock fits,it's shoot over and over---Only a few can do it----The rest of us has to be happy just to have some fun--I was at my club this morning----Snow last night and 23 degrees 20 MPH wind---
    2 of our best shooters were out there breaking tgts The rest of us were in the clubhouse watching----COMMITTED-----JMO----George@SJB

17. dls guide

dls guide Member

I will tell you that even if I have a custom stock built for me, it will still have an adjustable comb on it. Our bodies change as we age and from Summer to Winter. Also, the gun fits different with the amount of clothes we wear to shoot. And Yes, I even like the adjustable ribs too. I like being able to make a gun shoot to where I need it to without going to gunsmith.

18. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Steve: I assume all of these topics of yours are mainly hypothetical since you have amassed 500 registered 16 yard targets in the last 4 years and no caps targets!? Or, are most of your targets on the practice field?! Tom Rhoads

19. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Steve - I have gone into a slump, but was never tempted to change anything. I know that if I shot my gun well the way it is, I should be able to shoot it well any time. I know that there is NOTHING on my gun that magically changes, and makes me shoot scores worse than those I have shot in the past, nor will it magically change my scores if I alter the setup, except possibly, for the worse. My slump was shortlived, probably due to tiredness and exterior stresses in my life, but now that my ribs and hand are healed(mostly), I will start shooting for scores again.

20. senior smoke

Tom Rhoads:
    My topics are based on shooting experience as the last 7 years I have been suffering from the results of Cancer, fighting Parkinson's, and diabetes. Your attempt to make me look bad is noted.
    Respectfully,
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.