1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Taking care of a oil finish stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tgene, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgene

tgene Member

Any stock finishers out there. Not that it makes a difference, I have a Sako rifle with an oil finish stock. The rifle/stock is a few years old but has not been out in the weather and is like new. This is the first time I've had an oil finished stock and don't know what is the best way to take care of it. Do I add an additional coat of stock oil? If so, what kind or brand? The stock seems to be in need of some care, like it seems poris to me. What would you suggest? I would like to seal the pores of the wood, more protection...thanks for any help/suggestions... gene

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

GE- Are you sure it is a real oil finish or simply a dull conventional finish? I would be very surprised to find any factory gun with a linseed oil finish. A finish like Tru Oil is not a true oil finish.

A direct answer to your question would be a light coat of stain (Min Wax penetrates well) and then a few coats of a non oil finish like True Oil. Or, a coat of automobile wax may satisfy you.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to care for an oil finished gun stock

carring for an oil finished gun stock
how to care for oil finish on guns
how to care for sako oil stock
oil finish stock care
oil finished shotgun stock care
oil finished stock care