1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

take left bird first in doubles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 20yard, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I've shot trap for a few years now but just starting to learn doubles. I haven't hit good scores yet, almost always perfect one first shot but can't seem to hit the second. I noticed I do better on stations 4 and 5. So today I tried shooting left bird first in stations 1, 2 and 3 and did better although not a good score. So I am wondering any others try left bird first in station 1, and had success? It did feel more natural to swing right after shot but I'm still too slow shooting a peak to falling target.

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I would not shoot that way and I do not teach others too. Left bird first only on 4 and 5.

GS

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I agree w/Midalake

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Most doubles shooters take the straightaway first and swing to the angle. On station 3 it's your choice.

Get them quick so you get the second bird before it get's to it's peak!

A good doubles coach can get you up to speed quickly.

SW

5. team henges

team henges TS Member

If you are on station 1 or 2 you shoot the right bird first, station 3 is your choice and station 4 and 5 shoot the left bird first. If you do this you can watch where the 1st bird comes out at (depending on what station you are at) and pick a spot that it crosses as close as you can and break it real fast then you have all kinds of time to break the second bird. Also try shooting a bit heavier load if you dont already shoot a heavy one. I hope this helps

brendan

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I don't think it makes all that much difference if you are fast enough to shoot a rising 2nd bird.

The 'correct' doubles theory is put your first bird in the bank, regardless, and the straight is 'easier' and the 2nd (angle) target is closer, so if it's bouncy, you can make slight changes.

That said, the straight is ALWAYS straight ... and how you are set-up really matters in doubles.

A good doubles coach is a worthwhile investment.

Bob

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I had an interesting experience at the Grand this year in doubles.

I tried some Remington managed recoil 1 oz loads at 1100 fps.

They worked great for first shot and I used my normal 3d 1 1/8 7 1/2's for the 2nd bird.

late in the week, they were out of the 1 oz loads, so I tried some of their 7/8 oz 1100 fps loads.

What I noticed was such a discernible difference in recoil, it fouled up my timing to my 2nd shot. Apparently, I need just enough recoil to initiate my move to the 2nd bird.

But, to answer your question, I always take the straightaway first, post 3, I often will take the worst falling bird first. I find you need to find the correct balance of speed on the first shot to get you to the 2nd bird accurately. Too fast and you rush the 2nd bird, to late and your looking for the 2nd bird dropping.. It's a nice consistent move to the first bird without rushing it....

Now if I can do it consistently lol...

8. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Ok seems like no support for going left first, again I'm not sure why it feels better but I didn't miss any first shots. No one offered why take the straight away first, is it thought quicker to second bird then?

9. BigM-Perazzi

20yd, as was stated, with the straightaway, you know exactly where the bird will be.....

10. tammike

tammike Member

If you would shoot the right bird first all the way across , you would be pulling the gun back into your cheek going for #2.Give it a try but, thats not the way I shoot.

11. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

As a voice of a contrarian, One of the very best shoots right bird first on all posts. I happen to shoot left bird first better on post 3 than right bird first. If you shoot either as "Big M" based on conditions, you are a master in my book. Since you are learning, why not try left bird first on all posts first, but be committed to it till you master it. Who knows you may be the next great doubles shooter. Bruce

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I shoot right bird first on 1 and 2 and left bird first on 3 and 4. I also shoot right one first on 3 because I seem to swing my gun better right to left instead of the other way around. I have found that station 3 is a shooters choice.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The reason you should shoot the straighter target first and then go for the angle has to do with gun movement (swing). If you were to shoot the angle target first and then come back on a straight away you will have to stop the gun and then get on the bird. Takes way too much time and effort.

Thinking about all this fancy manuvering also takes a lot of time and is not something you should do when on the line. Keep it real simple and the speed will come. See the target, smoke it, see the next target and smoke that one too. No other mind games/special ammo are required.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot the straight away first on stations 1,2,4 and 5. On station 3 shoot the right hand bird first so you can swing the gun into your face for the second shot(righthand shooter). HMB

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Most of us shoot the right hand bird first on posts 1,2 and 3. Then we shoot the left hand bird first on 4 and 5. But, what most of us do is not necessarily best for everyone.

20yard- I would suggest that you stick with the traditional pattern until you get to the point where you are shooting consistent scores, then it is fine to experiment a little.

Shooting doubles in any other sequence than the traditional pattern can confuse the scorer.

Pat Ireland

16. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Might depend on your eyes too, my left eye is very weak so I move to my right better than left. I have tried the left first all the way across, and can do it, but as mentioned before, lots of swing involved and it will wear you out.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is the second bird that is missed the most. Figure out how to hit that one and you will be on the right track. HMB

18. BigM-Perazzi

Pat brought up a good point. Scoring doubles involves interpreting which bird is going to be shot first....

I also seem to remember reading that the great shots shooting the angles first often trapped the first target and were extremely fast to the second... not slow pokes like most of us...

19. missemucho

missemucho Member

I ended up scoring doubles at one of our ATA shoots with a lot of novice youth shooters that wanted to "experiment"; by the time the round was over I looked like Marty Feldman! Tough to see two places at once!
    John

20. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Thanks for feedback, I'll stay with "normal" right bird first in stations 1 & 2. Regarding misses it really is a 2nd bird issue I hit first bird 24 or 25, 94 ave on singles. I'll work on speed based on comments my second shot needs to be on a rising bird. my gun hold is at house so i move up to bird, break it then start looking for 2nd, maybe I'll try a higher holdpoint steady gun, shoot then move. The other feedback that hits home is leaning into 1st shot, I find I am rocking back which also affects second shot. Practice is last step to stop those ugly words DEAD LOSS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.