1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ljutic73, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Wow, Vern...serious stuff there....I suffer from stenosis on L3,4 &5...don't know what to do about it yet...managing so far with meds and epidurals...what was you diagnosis that led to this surgery? PM me if you'd like.

Ron

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Vern,
    Hopes for a speedy recovery coming your way ... Don't push it, just let it heal no matter how long it takes ... They are doing some great things today with modern medicine and surgical procedures ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Vern--Take care of yourself. I can sure relate to your pain and boredom. I know there are many more on here that can as well. This very crappy pic is the result of my 3rd back surgery. One more to go this October.----Matt

[​IMG]

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Interesting, going thru the same thing myself.

I've always had back issues since being involved in three rear-end collisions when I was in my 20's (I was the hit-ee all three times).

Woke up the day before Thanksgiving with pretty bad pain, and by about 10 am I couldn't do anything but lay flat on my back. My right arm from shoulder to elbow was in severe pain, and my right hand was numb. Doctor sent me for an MRI, and I had three ruptured disks one of which was pinching the nerve to my right arm and my spinal column was compressed about 50 percent between C6 and C7. (lower right of the picture, the worst rupture looks like a mushroom on it's side)

[​IMG]

They sent me directly to the surgeon, who recommended anterior cervical fusion - remove all three disks and fuse C4-C5-C6-C7. By the time I saw him I had taken a course of oral steroids and the pain was about a 2 on the 1-10 scale. I asked about physical therapy (research says 90 percent of ruptured disks can be treated with PT). Since the pain was not getting worse (i.e. no continuing nerve damage) he let me go for PT. I've been doing PT since mid Decmeber and for the last month have been pain free. I went to the range on Saturday and shot 100 targets, first time I had shot since before Thanksgiving. No after-effects from the shooting so I'm now starting to ramp up my activity to try to get back to normal.

The PT was focused on lots of stretching and flexibility to give the vertabrea more room to move and provide more room for the disks, and also on exercises to strengthen the upper back muscles so the neck didn't try to do all the work. It's pretty startling how quickly you lose strength and flexibility as you get older, and how much work it is to get it back. I now walk 30 minutes each day and have a battery of exercises I do to work on flexibility and strength. It seems to be working.

Scott

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Scott--Thats great news. I tried everything that i could get my hands on to avoid surgery. I'm a little different as i was born with a birth defect in my L-4, L-5 region. All my childhood activities like Dirt bikes, football and ice hockey didn't help the situtaion. PT helped some but i was constantly at about a 6 on the pain scale. I finally started loosing feeling in my legs and feet. We tried injections and even Radio Frequency Ablation(RFA) where the nerves are burned to stop the pain. That is a laymans description and not very technical. It was all so temporary for me though. One of the last visits i had to the Surgeon before surgery he told me i would likely be in a wheelchair within a year or so if something more permanent wasn't done. I finally had to do the inevideable and have surgery. I don't regret having the surgery. I have almost completely regained feeling in my legs and feet. I do regret not taking better care of my back when i was younger.

I hope you continue to have good results with PT and exercise. My Neuro Surgeon allows me to shoot when i feel up to it. Its hard on me standing on concrete all day.

I've learned so much about the back and spine over the last few years. You certainly don't realize how important your back is until you start having problems.

Matt

6. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hope you get to feeling well soon. I've had two back sugeries, one for a heerniated disc, and the last one was in 2006 for a "360" surgery on L4,L5,S1. I'm doing good now, but haven't shot much. It will take awhile to get back in form, possibly a year or more. But good luck and don't rush it. Charlie Henderson

7. gus

gus Member

Scott, do you mind telling me what your PT consists of ? Mine is not working and I HAD surgery 2 years ago

8. gus

gus Member

Never mind, took my drugs already tonight, can't read.

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Gus -

Sent you a PM.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.