1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Take a Kid........

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SongDogSniper, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

Had to brag a bit here this morning!!!!

Took a friend of mine out for his first elk hunt Saturday and Sunday. We certainly saw a lot of bulls Saturday ranging from miles away to 200 yds. He made a tough decision to not to shoot on Saturday as he didn't feel comfortable with the shot. Excellent judgement for a 15 year old young man.

Decided to not hunt this area that evening since they seemed to be using this heavily as an overnight bedding area. We planned to cut around the back side in the morning since they were moving out of there to that side in the mornings to graze.

Of course we were right!!! Problem was, they seemed to be moving out earlier than expected. We were no where even close to being in position when we saw the 1st group of 4 move out. He was a little dejected thinking we missed our window. He was REALLY dejected when another 4 spooked and bolted up the hill.

With a little bit of a pep talk I convinced him we weren't done yet. We still had to "turn the corner" to see the bedding area. He got a little better but still on the gloomy side. Kids!!!! What can ya do?

Sure enough there in the area we discovered the day before were 4 more good bulls. Two of them sparing. The smacking of antlers and branches breaking and flying was quite the site to see!!!!! I know my heart was pounding and I wasn't the one holding the gun.

He took his time with all the excitment of the fight, bulls with in range, and made a fantastic uphill shot at 260 yards. The bull dropped straight down and even came down the hill about 30 yards. Which I'll be eternally greatful for since it was that much less we had to drag him.

Some of you may recognize this him as a pretty darn good trap shooter here in Colorado. As a matter of fact, a few weeks a go he broke a 99 in handicap (droppiung only the 96th bird)!!!

Moral of the story, if you have the means and there's a kid that wants to hunt, take him/her!!!! I think I enjoyed this hunt more than any of the animals I have taken for myself over the years.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.
    Gene

songdogsniper_2011_18083.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.