1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TACTICAL SHOTGUN ADVICE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loyac, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

Any pragmatic advice on a tactical shotgun to be used strictly as a home defense gun? Thanks! John

2. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

simple is better. 870 few bells and wisles. Always remember if you have children don't keep it loaded. Keep it handy though, out of reach of children!!!. no accidents please.
    shoot straight

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

870 Remington with a barrel just above the 18" mark. Very simple gun to use. With the sound of the slide opening up and loading a shell and then closing will scare the hell out of any one when in the dark. Bird shot factory ammo only. NO RELOADS because of lawyers. The reason for bird shot is that bird shot once it opens up will not go through sheet rock and hirt someone on the other side like buckshot wood.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

First thing is get all the whiz bang flashlights, lazers, extended mags, and other useless BS off the gun. Next start with a good pump action shotgun like a 870 Wingmaster or M37 Ithaca and put a 20" cylinder choke barrel on it. Finally, load it with regular field loads with #4-#6 shot and practice with it a bunch. Practice shooting from the hip, practice single round loading, practice one hand shooting both strong and weak side, practice shooting while laying down... practice practice practice.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I forgot to tell yoiu a good place to put the gun. Go to your closet and step inside. Do not come out but turn around and then look up. Just on the inside and above the closet door put the shotgun. How many people look at that part of the closet. The kids don't and its up high away from kids. Also TEACH YOUR KIDS NOW ABOUT GUNS NOT LATER. Teach then early and that will be good for everyone.

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

WOW I was just thinking about this myself this week. I saw an awesome 870 at my dealer and I was thinking about picking it up for myself for home defense.

My biggest concern is having a loaded gun in the house. While the idea to put it above the closer door is a good one, that still means that it's a loaded weapon that someone might get to.

Suppose I do put it up there, what do I do with the ammo, have it loaded? Next to it? If I do keep it loaded, is there some sort of trigger guard that can be removed quickly if needed, but not by someone playing with it?

7. 682LINY

682LINY Member

ammo goes in that bath robe pocket that you never wear ,,,or in a possibles bag hung on the hanger inside the bath robe

8. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Don't listen to the people that recommend birdshot. Your home defense gun is for killing an intruder, not shooting birds. Get buckshot, and be aware of where your family/members of your household are at. If possible, gather the family together in a room, and let trouble come looking for you. You will have the advantage and won't have to worry about friendly fire.

For those that recommend birdshot... a 9mm, 40 S&W or .45 APC round will penentrate more than a pellet of 00 buck. Would you recommend something like a .25 ACP be used instead of the forementioned pistol cartridges because of fear of over penetration? Of course not, but that's exactly what you're doing when you recommend bird instead of buck.

~Michael

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

I like the Mossberg 500. You can get them for $200 used at Gander Mountain. The 870 is also a great gun but more expensive and no more reliable - which is THE most important attribute.

I have two for that purpose. Only one gun to train for - important with the others in the home who are not as gun savvy.

I added a collapsible stock (shorter and easier to handle) and a Tac-Star saddle for added rounds. Nice to have but not necessary. Mine is loaded with game loads (#6 shot) - slugs on the saddle.

Cut the barrel to 18 1/4 inches if you get a long barrel gun.

Don Verna

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

VPR, if you think somebody might play around with your defense gun then you probably better lock it up in a safe. If you actually get into a situation where the defense gun is needed, odds are there won't be enough time to mess around with trigger locks or go looking for ammo. No one wants to leave an accident waiting to happen at home and only you can accurately determine what is best for your house.

Excellent tip on the defense gun hiding place Auctioneer, thanks for sharing that.

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

While I don't actually expect anyone to go into my bedroom closet and pull the gun down to play with it, the fact that one exists in the open is enough to be nervous about it. Especially with kids in the house.

As an alternative, I wanted to buy a GunVault safe and screw it down in the closet to leave a handgun in there, but I just like the shotgun as a defense gun MUCH better than a small handgun.

There must be some safe way to keep it around and accessible quickly if need be. Hiding ammo separately is ok, but still it's out there. Maybe hiding the ammo in a small safe is the way to go.

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

I don't know what cops do now, but they used to have a shotgun up front with them locked into some sort of bracket that was opened by a hidden switch. Seems that someone could come up with something similar for the home. Maybe a keypad activated locking bracket. Now that WOULD be the answer. OK, I get 10% of the first million you make off this idea...

Bruce
    KB1IIX@arrl.net

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Auctioneer has some excellent input; especially the storage area inside the closet. My recommendation would be a Mossberg 500 Persuader with an 18.5" barrel. (However 870's can be found used at very reasonable prices). Ammo recommendation would be 12 gauge 3 Dram #7 1/2 "new" target loads. Inside a normal room in most peoples houses, it will take care of business. Test the outcome of this load at your gun clubs range. Place a piece of 1/4" plywood out to approximately 20'. (Shots within a normal room of a house would seldom exceed that distance). See what it does. I would surely not want to be hit by it. Also, Michael, you have it wrong. When ever one decides to use deadly force against another human being you will be inundated with questions and will need to formulate written reports. You NEVER shoot to kill. You shoot to stop the threat. (Which of course might mean that you discharged the load in the subjects face) Distance from the threat would dictate that you do this so as to shut down the central nervous system. Before retirement I taught countless classes on the use of force. You need to use what they call "court speak" or the defense lawyers will fry your a$$. Ed

14. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

If you're in a fair fight, you planned it wrong, and I have no intention of going into a fair gunfight, or coming out the loser. It's going to be loud, scary, bloody, and someone's going to die, and I'm going to do my best to make sure I'm not the one laying on the floor choking out my last breaths. My riot gun will be loaded with 00 buck, and I will aim for my target's chest. When it's all said and done, I'd rather face the courts than be dead.

~Michael

15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Michael: Fairness has nothing to do with it. You have to fight "the battle after the battle". If you report your actions in a way that might allow some scum bag to take your house, your dog and your pickup truck; you might say you lost. You can do all the things you stated; you just have to know how to phrase it when the time comes. And again, if a person uses deadly force on another individual, they had better be able to state the facts in a way that justifies their actions. Our trainers used to have t-shirts that stated, "They don't pay me to fight fair-Only to win". However in this day and age you have to know how to "play the game". Believe me; I've been in Federal Court regarding utilizing excessive force on an individual. We won because our records reflected our actions in a proper manner. It's a different ball game in todays world and one needs to protect themselves; not only physically, but legally. Not saying I agree, but that's how it is. Ed

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

Here is a thought.

It should be relatively simple to wire a circuit (using those magnetic switches for security systems) such that when the shotgun is removed from its rest an alarm sounds. This will surely scare the crap out of the little bastards and give you time to intercede in their "fun". The switch to deactivate the alarm can be housed in lock box mounted wherever convenient for those times you need to clean the gun; or heaven forbid, take it out and practice drills with it.

If the "kids" are old enough to be left home alone, having a loaded gun in your closet should not be a problem if you raised them right. In fact, you want them to be able to defend themselves if the need arises.

An unloaded gun makes a very poor bat and can be difficult to get into action when you are pissing your pants. Your fine motor skills will desert you in panic situations.

Frankly, I do not have a round chambered in the shotguns. The mag is topped off. If the distinctive sound of a pump preparing to fire does not cause the intruder to retreat, he is bent on killing me, and I will avoid that.

The only thing worst than an unloaded shotgun is an unloaded pistol (especially a revolver). Although the pistol may be thrown from a greater distance if you do not get it ready in time.

Don Verna

17. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

But first you have to survive long enough to make it to the battle after the battle. I'm not staking my life on shot that would't go through a heavy leather jacket.

~Michael

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

12 gauge!

Hauxfan!

19. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

are we just guessing or has anyone actually tested the penetrating power of birdshot?

20. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

This is a TACTICAL shotgun and should be used as one. To answer your question first is a Remington 870 tactical, Mossberg 500 series (I use the 590A1 marine version) Benelli. All of these makers have good pump action tactical shotguns and Benelli is known for their auto loaders. I have a knocks stock with shell carrier as well as a side saddle on the receiver. This gives me 9 rounds of ammo on the gun and 9 in the gun. I also have ghost ring sights and a tactical light. This shotgun has one intention and that is to stop a bad guy! I keep it loaded and chambered. I have 00 buck Remington tactical rounds and I also have Remington tactical slugs loaded as OO buck, slug, OO buck, slug etc. I am not worried about a round going through a wall, what I am worried about is stopping a bad guy who wants to do harm to me and family. You need a light so you can identify the bad guy and make sure it is someone you do need to shoot. To many stories of people shooting people in the dark to only find out it was a child sneaking in our out of the house.

Keep it simple but don't cheap out. One reason I like the 500 series of shotguns is the safety is on the top of the receiver, very easy to use under stress and in low light. I do not have to have my finger anywhere near the trigger to operate the safety. I figure if its good enough for the Marines its good enough for me.

On the subject of racking a shell to scare a bad guy....this is a very bad idea! The intruder(s) has broken into your home to do you and your family harm. The only advantage at this point you have is they do not know exactly where you are. Why rack a shot gun so they know exactly where you are and possibly alert them to the fact they are between you and your family, this is a big advantage to them! In a perfect world your kids and you are on the same floor and part of the house, you would be able to get them in the same room and put yourself between you and the bad guy. You call the police and wait with your shotgun pointed in the direction they will be coming from. If they enter your sights they are dead, that simple. If they don't then I will let the cops deal with them. If they want to take everything I have that is fine, once they enter my funnel of death they will be shot. This is the mental trigger that I have decided on so if and when the moment happens I will not have to think about what I am going to do.

I have taken over 100 hours of lethal defensive weapons training. The only advantages you have are training and surprise. Good luck and buy wisely!

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.